Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Read the lengthy thread on the virtues of the 9.3x62, 30-06 and 7x57 for plains game, but it left me wondering where the 300 WSM ranks.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A louder more aggressive 3006. More pain with little gain. I am of the opinion that the hype of the wsm will not make it a better round, certainly not better than the 300WinMag. In my humble opinion there is noneed for a magnum to harvest plains game.

Donning flame proof suit as I hit the submit button.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Hang on Randy! I want to take a 7x57 and you should have heard my
PH's comments! "More lost game that anything else!" Really? He insists I bring at least a 300 win mag with 180's...but he will let my wife shoot his 223 and use it on impala and warthog?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Read the lengthy thread on the virtues of the 9.3x62, 30-06 and 7x57 for plains game, but it left me wondering where the 300 WSM ranks.

The simple answer is that if you like it, take it. Use a good bullet, and it'll work great! The haters are full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ;-)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The 300 WSM will knock down anything that our shores have to offer. I have had the absolute pleasure of working with this calibre and am currently in the market, to add one to my rifle battery. It will without a doubt become my new working rifle. Due to the case design, the powder burn efficiency is slightly better than in the Win Mag. They claim that the WSM has about 40fps or so over the Win Mag, so really nothing that will make any difference. All that I know, is that I have to have one. A couple of hunters have brought theirs over and took everything on the plains game list with them. I was particularly impressed with the little Savage .300 WSM.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by medicman
Donning flame proof suit as I hit the submit button.Randy

Thanks for putting a smile on my face after the results!

There must be few other topics on any chatroom that fire up blood pressure like ballistics and caliber. IMHO a 7X57 is one of the really great calibers around, not because I heard, not because someone said so but because I have experienced it. For most plains game it works just great if you use good ammunition (like in most cases).

The 300 WSM I have not had good results with hunters. This may or may not be because of ammunition or operator error I simply do not know. If I were a hunter and consistently did not have good results with it and was completely honest about the fact that it was me having operator error, then there cannot be anything wrong with the caliber. Having said that and from I have experienced, I am not a big fan of the 300 WSM, biased as it may sound. If the originator of the 300 WM was trying to replicate the ballistics in the 300 WSM, why do I have more wounded animals with the WSM than with the 300 WM?

This is just an observation and I must confess my proficiency in calibers and ballistics could be considered lacking.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PreciousLiberty

The simple answer is that if you like it, take it. Use a good bullet, and it'll work great! The haters are full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ;-)

It will work great with the right bullet put in the right place.

There's no magic... it's going to perform just like what it is.

More velocity than the 30.06 and a little less than the 300 Win Mag (with the 180-200 grain bullets).

I just killed everything from Jackal to Giraffe with a 30.06 while on Safari and it works just fine, but the extra power of the magnums can be a good thing if used properly.

I can promise you that the animal that you shoot will not care which caliber that the exact same size bullet was fired from... he'll just be hit slightly harder by it.

Dead is dead.
It really is that simple.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jeffpg: Pardon my ignorance....but where,exactly,do you shoot a giraffe?....yeah I know, in Africa grin

But I mean where in that body do you smack them?

They seem so huge and the hide and bones so heavy and thick...

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
When I went to Africa, I NEEDED (I was single at the time, so I could say WANTED and make it happen) a new rifle. I found a nice Kimber 300wsm that was like new and at a very good price, plus the gent took .40 cal ammo in trade.

I loaded it up with 168 TTSX and it worked wonderfully. Nothing complained and everything died. Quickly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jeffpg

Your assessment is so simple and true it will go unheeded by many. It has in many threads. Right bullet, right place, right trophy taken.

Pieter

The 7x57 allows people to do just that. Many shooters are affected by recoil more than they want to admit. I used to be one of them. Now I just admit it. I have found the speed of the projectile to influence the recoil perception in my case. It is why I shoot a heavy 375 H&H rather than a lighter faster 375.

KMG

I assume by your occupation, and by your postings, the recoil of a magnum is a non issue for you. I am also a rifle looney so I encourage you and anyone else wanting a 300WSM to have at it. For those of us not so trained or gifted, I still suggest non magnums for best shot placement.

Keep us posted on your rifle and results.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Load it up with 165 TSX and go for it!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PieterKriel
Donning flame proof suit as I hit the submit button.Randy

Thanks for putting a smile on my face after the results!

There must be few other topics on any chatroom that fire up blood pressure like ballistics and caliber. IMHO a 7X57 is one of the really great calibers around, not because I heard, not because someone said so but because I have experienced it. For most plains game it works just great if you use good ammunition (like in most cases).

The 300 WSM I have not had good results with hunters. This may or may not be because of ammunition or operator error I simply do not know. If I were a hunter and consistently did not have good results with it and was completely honest about the fact that it was me having operator error, then there cannot be anything wrong with the caliber. Having said that and from I have experienced, I am not a big fan of the 300 WSM, biased as it may sound. If the originator of the 300 WM was trying to replicate the ballistics in the 300 WSM, why do I have more wounded animals with the WSM than with the 300 WM?

This is just an observation and I must confess my proficiency in calibers and ballistics could be considered lacking.

More people new to the rifles they bring might be the cause. If a bullet leaves the muzzle at the same speed with one or the other, there would be absolutely no difference in results, given equal shot placement.

I don't shoot a 300 WSM but do shoot the 325 WSM. It hits like Thor's Hammer. I don't see why the 300 wouldn't give similar results.

This question is analogous to the comparison between the 375 H&H and the 375 Ruger. Again, no difference in results, given all else is equal.

Nobody disparages the venerable 300 H&H for PG. Out the barrel the 300 WSM and 300 H&H are twins. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My 300RSAUM with 165gr Woodleighs worked real well for me, the 300WSM is just a bit more goodness.

Would I take it again? Nope...my 7x64 running 160grPT's is more than adequate for the PG I'm interested in....eland not included.

Last edited by johnfox; 11/07/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used a 300WSM with 180 grain Partitions for springbok and warthog in Namibia and it worked great.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I used my 300WSM on two trips to RSA and have taken 12 plainsgame animals witht this cartridge. All were one shot kills. I hand load 180 Accubonds atop 65.5 gr. of IMR4831 for a muzzle velocity of 3000FPS +-. The accuracy is exceptional and has become my large game rifle for Africa and north America. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Kimber Montana in 300WSM is going with me to Africa someday. 168TTSX has proven to be very accurate at 3100FPS. For plains game, I think it will work fine.

I aim to get a bull moose later this year.

Last edited by AB2506; 11/08/12.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jeffpg

KMG

I assume by your occupation, and by your postings, the recoil of a magnum is a non issue for you. I am also a rifle looney so I encourage you and anyone else wanting a 300WSM to have at it. For those of us not so trained or gifted, I still suggest non magnums for best shot placement.

Keep us posted on your rifle and results.

Randy

Hey Randy, the rifle that Marius at KMG loved so much was the Savage 16 Weather Warrior in 300wsm that my son and I used. I've not shot other magnum rifles, but 12 guage turkey loads kick much more than this Savage I have.
We truly never felt the kick. It comes with a really good pad on it. And, although the rifle is light for a mag (6.9 pounds), it doesn't kick at all. It certainly doesn't kick more than the 30-06 i had years ago.
Here's the rifle link Savage 16 in 300wsm
[Linked Image]

I only pulled the trigger once on the 7-08 we brought, it being the only errant shot made on the trip.

I really felt bad the last day because i half jokingly/half serious told Marius I'd trade him that rifle for a Waterbuck. Then when he surprisingly said "Certainly" I had to renege. Of course, it'd have been impossible anyway without the advance paperwork needed.
If he hasn't gotten one before I get to go back, I'll bring him one in personally.

I had never wanted a mag, not needed for deer in Mississippi. I really got it for future hunting out west and for our africa trip. Wanted a longer range rifle with ummpphh than the 7-08.

blessings,
rph

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Took mine this past year and shot impala, leopard, wildebeest, warthog, and sable with my .300 WSM.

All one shot kills and everything seemed to die.

Not much difference from the Win Mag other than an increase of a few fps.

Great guns if you use good bullets. Like most other calibers.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think that in reality the WSM has any more velocity then the WinMag. And with 180 and heavier bullets, the advantage (if any) switches to the bigger case of the WinMag.

I bought the 300WSM because it was chambered in a short lightweight rifle I actually like to carry. I had a 338WinMag, but it was quite heavy, and unless I was specifically after elk or moose, I always defaulted to the lighter to carry 25-06s that I own.

Now that I am reloading my WSM, I find that I am getting 3100fps out of a 168 gr TTSX with only 64grs of RL17. A WinMag requires 73gr of RL19 or 75gr of RL22 to get 3100fps.

So, I have a rifle that still has a 3 round magazine, is lightweight, short bolt throw and more economical (powder wise) to load.

What is not to like?

And well we are on WSM, I really like the 270WSM. A modern 7RM.

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fgold767
Hang on Randy! I want to take a 7x57 and you should have heard my
PH's comments! "More lost game that anything else!" Really? He insists I bring at least a 300 win mag with 180's...but he will let my wife shoot his 223 and use it on impala and warthog?

I know a very successful Master Hunting Guide in Namibia and he caries a 7x57 using Barnes TSX. He would probably enjoy it when someone arrives at camp with another 7x57. We have shot eland with 100% success with our 7x57.

The 300WSM would be perfect for plains game.

Pieter

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (007FJ, 1800topsoil, 160user, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,687
Posts18,494,053
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.