Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Bushnell tested these coatings by cleaning them with a pencil eraser .

Only Leupold can conduct meaningful test.
You should know that by now.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never seen any test results they've conducted. Only unsubstantiated marketing hype.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Leupold Advertising Guy #1:
We have been informed by management that of the various coatings available from SUCKIE SUCKIE LONG WANG LLC. Our Chinese optical supplier, that managment has picked the most cost effective one and that we,the advertising department,now have to come up with a name for the new coatings.Management wants something new and wants to create a "buzz" around the introduction of our new scope the V what ever bullchit we call it now.

Leupold Advertising Guy #2:
Well ok.How about IRON COAT.You know,Iron Mike Tyson.Tuff as Iron....

Hay thats good, but but we need to emphasize that the coating is really really tuff stuff....

Ok,how about STEEL COAT.Steel is tuffer that iron hows that?

Hay thats better, but but we need to emphasize that the coating is really really really tuff stuff....

Ok,how about DIAMOND COAT II.We put more real Diamonds in diamond coat II than diamond coat I
.Diamonds are tuffer that steel, hows that?

Yep can't get any harder than diamonds.Thats good.I like it.You know,if we spread this around alot, some dumb sumbitch might actually think that we developed it and that it actually has real diamonds in it........

You mean, like that?

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
dave7mm,

You are creatively cute! I love it.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 243Win
Does any body shoot a S&B scope on there hunting rifle ? I really want to try one but I don't know any body that has one. I'm leaning on the S & B or a VX-6 .

Late to this thread. Just got back from a hunting trip.

Yes, I have a Schmidt on my hunting rifle and love it. In spite of the fact that it lacks "diamond hard coatings" etc.

[Linked Image]

Here's a S&B 10X42 PMII with adjustable turrets that you can get for roughly the same as a VX6. About $1800 new and $1500 used. The scope is bombproof, the glass is amazing and the clicks are absolutely repeatable.

Three shot group from my 308.

[Linked Image]

And another:

[Linked Image]

Three shot group at 760 meters:

[Linked Image]

I'm telling you, these scopes will spoil you.

Even Eremicus won't enjoying shooting a Leupold after he gets one.....

smile

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've only seen the PMII 10x42mm available with a P3 Mil-Dot reticle. Anyone know if a different reticle (A4) is available?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RDFinn
You mean like Zeiss's Lotu-Tec and Leica's Aqua-Dura ?

Touche'

:::laffin:::

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by oldslowdog
Does any body shoot a S&B scope on there hunting rifle ? I really want to try one but I don't know any body that has one. I'm leaning on the S & B or a VX-6 .

Yes, I have a Schmidt on my hunting rifle and love it. In spite of the fact that it lacks "diamond hard coatings" etc.

[Linked Image]

Here's a S&B 10X42 PMII with adjustable turrets that you can get for roughly the same as a VX6. About $1800 new and $1500 used. The scope is bombproof, the glass is amazing and the clicks are absolutely repeatable.

[Linked Image]

And another:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

smile

very nice

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That is certainly sleeker looking than the Swaro z5. Very nice.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And another:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

smile

Nice shooting, and great rifle! Have you posted the build specs in the blueprints section? I'd love to hear about the build and who at GAP did it for you.

Eric

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FOsteology
I've only seen the PMII 10x42mm available with a P3 Mil-Dot reticle. Anyone know if a different reticle (A4) is available?

Pretty sure the p3 is standard.
Reticle changes from them are more like the cost of a liver.
dave

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And another:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

smile

That's a nice scope!Do they make that in a fixed 6X with the same turrets,etc?

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/11/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The 10X PMII only comes in 10X with the P3 recticle standard.

I would imagine S&B could change the P3 out if you wanted it changed but it would probably be over $500 to do it. Not only would that be exorbitantly expensive (in my opinion)but completely unneccessary as the mildots give you several advantages (range estimation capability, windage reference, and extra drop capability when you top out your turrets).

Bob, I've never seen a 6X PMII with turrets. I've heard they used to but it was discontinued. But never having seen one, I can't vouch for that.

In my opinion, unless you're hunting thick forest where you can only see 50 yards or so to shoot, a 10X won't hinder you one bit.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
BOb..I like your taste!

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
oldslowdog/Old Guns: Thanks for the info....yeah a 10X would work in the open but in much of my hunting I am in and out of thick vs open stuff.A 6X would suit me better. smile

I like the scope though; nice and clean looking and not much gizmo....the absence of a power change ring is....uh....refreshing. grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
So, let me get this right. Bushnell claims to test their so called tough coatings and you buy that w/o question. Yet when Leupold test their stuff, that's just marketing hype. Right ?
How about the US military ? They have a standard for scope coating durability and Leupold's Diamond Coat II easily passes them.
That's one reason why the US Army uses nothing but Leupold rifle scopes. And some of their other optics, like their spotting scopes. Don't recall Bushnell winning any military contracts.
BTW, I noticed that Cabela's new premium euro rifle scope comes with super hard coatings, but not some sort of rain guard. Some of the binocular companies like Leica and Pentax have been offering super hard coatings for some time on their top of the line stuff. Funny they don't offer rain guard tough coatings as well. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dave7mm & oldslowdog,

Much obliged on the clarification. If S&B offered their PMII 10x42 with a standard hunting reticle I'd likely get one. Unbelievable what they may charge to do a reticle swap...

BobinNH,

S&B does offer a 6x42mm in their Klassic fixed line. Only issue (to me anyways) is the ER is a scant 3.15"

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Eremicus
We were using .24 and .25 bullet holes at 100 yds.
If you want to split hairs, fine. The scope I had would rate no better than a 7 if compared the very sophisticated way that Barsness tests his scopes. But get even a littler dust on the lens, or have any change in atomosheric conditions at the longer ranges and the results can easily change for the worst.
Then there is the matter of degradation from even the most carefully done cleaning of the lenses. Leupold's VX-6 comes with super hard lense coatings. S&B's don't. E

Funny how some get all horned up on this crap, complete waste of time. Pick what works for ya and roll on. There are people that get out in the woods and get results and others that try, but love to talk about/defend what they use but in the end eat their tag year after year. Stuff is not that difficult and the arguing is pointless.

Who cares what the military uses?

Tell me way I need diamond coat ( my older VXIII works fine), as does my Conquest?

Wow . . .

T
TCB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
So, let me get this right. Bushnell claims to test their so called tough coatings and you buy that w/o question. Yet when Leupold test their stuff, that's just marketing hype. Right ?
How about the US military ? They have a standard for scope coating durability and Leupold's Diamond Coat II easily passes them.
That's one reason why the US Army uses nothing but Leupold rifle scopes. And some of their other optics, like their spotting scopes. Don't recall Bushnell winning any military contracts.
BTW, I noticed that Cabela's new premium euro rifle scope comes with super hard coatings, but not some sort of rain guard. Some of the binocular companies like Leica and Pentax have been offering super hard coatings for some time on their top of the line stuff. Funny they don't offer rain guard tough coatings as well. E

What the military uses (outside SOF) and military contracts won have absolutely NOTHING to do with superior quality.....I can assure you of that!!!

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I said widely copied as in nitrogen purging, duplex style reticles and side focus/parallax adjustments. Not a few very expensive, top quality scopes that hardly anyone buys.
Oh, and where are the tests that prove these coatings are tough ? E

You mean tough.... like, say, a coating of diamonds? wink

John

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,872 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,592
Posts18,532,460
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.