Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If he wanted "cool", nothing "30" would be involved..(grin)

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
If he wanted "cool", nothing "30" would be involved..(grin)

Amen to that, cepting perhaps a .308... cool

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
A bullet is not a "scalpel" ...

Sure it is. A bullet performs a surgical function at a distance. You read too much.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Bottom line, dogcatcher223, you don't know the first thing about me,

You are right, the only thing I know about you, is what you have typed on this forum. I never even heard of a Mashburn until I heard you going on and on about it. If you want to make a different impression, then type something different.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BagABuck
............. Now on to the knockdown matter, here's an example; A little girl went hunting at my hunting club last year, she was using a. 223, she shot the deer directly in center mass, missing the heart and lungs greatly, the deer ran a good distance and it was barely found. The exact same shot placement was used later on with a .280, the deer dropped right there. Shot placements is key, I will agree, but knockdown is a factor that creates room for error......

How about the elk that took a 160 gr bullet too far back in the lungs and was not found for 2-3 days....or the black bear that was hit too far back with a 340 Weatherby and led my pal on a merry chase;about as far as the one hit similarly with a 257 Roberts? Not enough "knockdown power" with either one I guess?

or the mule deer hit too far back with a 7 Rem Mag that went about a mile before being recovered.Again...where's that "room for error"....I could go on if you want to play that game....

it would seem the logical thing is to use a 375H&H for mule deer....that would provide more "room for error"....right? smirk

There is no "knockdown power" that reliably floors BG animals;and there is no "room for error" that is compensated for by powerful rifles and sloppy and indifferent marksmanship.There is only good bullet placement.

IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Give him 15 or 20, years that is and then he'll come full circle. I had to do it as well..........grin

That makes no sense. You still put the 7mm Mashburn on a pedestal, yet scoff at a 300 mag?

There's a lot that you don't know, especially about me.

First off, I don't think I've ever put the Mashburn on a pedestal. Now do I know a good round when I see it, yeah I do and that's just part of the reason I like it. I've ran thru 3 barrels chambered for the round, have used it to take several arks full of game so no I don't have any problemo encourging certain people to give it a go. Do I think it's the only round going, no I sure don't. Do I feel it's a better mouse trap than the 300 mags. Ah yes from my experiences with them I do feel that the Mashburn is a better deal for me. Have I ever scoffed at the 300 mags, ah no I don't think so but I do know that I can get the same thing done with the big 7's than I can with the big 30 mags absolutely I do.

You say what I said makes no sense so go ahead and tell me a bit about me. Oh that's right you don't know me, never met me and have never even spoken on the phone with me never shot with me and yet you're willing to say that what I said about coming full circle doesn't make any sense.

I started my elk career with a .270 (and for me the true test of a big game cal is elk, at least on this side of the big pond, I could add the big bruins but hardly anyone ever gets to hunt them so I don't go there...), from the .270 I went to various big 7's, 06's, and on to the 338 WM, spent a lot of time with the .340 (went thru a couple of barrels) as well I spent quite a bit of time with the 375's and various 416's.

I'm a member of the 50/50 club meaning I'm over 50 years old and have been and around the taking of over 50 head of elk, so I have some fairly commited thoughts as to what works and what's needed and what isn't!

This year I carried a .308, a .270, a .260 and a Mashburn a bit while elk hunting. This began to morph quite a few years ago where I started going back to the smaller rounds as I know I can get it done with ease using them and don't need the mega cannons anymmore. From what I've seen over the years this is a pretty darn natural progression.

For me years ago the big 33's, the 375's and the 416's were my big guns. And while I still own a wonderful 375 Wby it rarely gets any time on the field and mainly stays home. While the 7 Mashburn Super has been my main "big rifle". Not that I don't play with this or that.

Bottom line, dogcatcher223, you don't know the first thing about me, or where I've come from and or have done so I really don't give a flock whether what I said makes any sense to you and or not...

So for me yeah I do feel that I've come back to the beginning again

Dober

Dober.... deep down I really believe you know the 300 wm is better than the Mashburn! grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can totally identify with Calvin's example of a big 338 putting the hurtin' on deer and such, but in the case of differentiating between the 'knockdown' power of various .30 magnums, I think it's more dependent on range and bullet construction than anything.

BTW, I'm in no way a naysayer of the big .30s. I have one myself and love the sucker, those 180gr NBTs started at 3090 sure are an excellent means of smacking critters. I'm really anxious to run some 7mm 162 A-Maxes into game though... they are to date the only bullet that has dented a steel plate I shoot at 500 yards for load work.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tanner 300's are great game getters...but they aren't magic.

An elk, hit wrong with one, can make tracks,and so can a mule deer or whitetail for that matter.I have seen it happen.

There isn't much magic in cartridges.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bottom line, dogcatcher223, you don't know the first thing about me,

You are right, the only thing I know about you, is what you have typed on this forum. I never even heard of a Mashburn until I heard you going on and on about it. If you want to make a different impression, then type something different.

If you don't like what I write you're more than welcome to put me on ignore. In the mean time if I want to write about the Mashburn I sure as heck will...

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I know few people capable of lecturing Dober when it comes to rifles, cartridges,and what works. To see it done is really sort of amusing.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The coming full circle thing is a natural progression of serious hunters. Every serious hunter I know talks about it and to be honest, despite having a decade long love affair with the 300 ultra mag I can see a day when I will be using my .280 Remington exclusively. For me the ultra and any 30 cal magnum requires mucho discipline to shoot proficiently, is mentally exhausting to shoot more than a few rounds in a session and all the while devours powder and barrels.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The coming full circle thing is a natural progression of serious hunters. Every serious hunter I know talks about it and to be honest, despite having a decade long love affair with the 300 ultra mag I can see a day when I will be using my .280 Remington exclusively. For me the ultra and any 30 cal magnum requires mucho discipline to shoot proficiently, is mentally exhausting to shoot more than a few rounds in a session and all the while devours powder and barrels.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Again good solid expierenced points made by all......

The OP is a Lil kid and has his mind already made up. We've all been 14 and know we knew what we wanted. He wants a gun too big for him and thinks some device on the end that makes it louder and blows dirt in the eyes of others is THE ticket I'm all for the young fella but he has his mind made up.....

So I say get a weatherby In 30-378 and put your thingy on the end if it to make it recoil like a 270. Then in 15 years enjoy a 30-06......grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
There is no "knockdown power" that reliably floors BG animals;and there is no "room for error" that is compensated for by powerful rifles and sloppy and indifferent marksmanship.There is only good bullet placement.

Amen to that, Bob. I will say that bullet performance and individuality in animal reactions make up the other part of why some well-hit animals run and some don't.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
That settles it ...... I"m sticking with my 300 Mashburn!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The OP should grab a GAP Non-typical in 7WSM and call it a day. There's not much room for improvement when you start at the top, though wink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Amen to that, Bob. I will say that bullet performance and individuality in animal reactions make up the other part of why some well-hit animals run and some don't.

Jordan I agree.One time I floored an antelope with a gut shot(my fault,bad shooting) using a 7 mag and 140 Bitterroot....literally exploded her....she was dead by the time I covered the 350 yards to where she lay.

It was a sample of "one",and not the kind of thing I'd place any confidence in because I have seen too many times an opposite result.

Also agree with BWalker concerning some Big 30's.I had them in droves,hunted continent wide with them.Still love them but don't own any now.

15 years or so ago I dropped down a full notch in rifle weight, recoil,etc,and stuff is just as dead as before. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BagABuck
A good brake will chop that recoil down fairly well. Although I don't want to be "that guy" at the range. Now on to the knockdown matter, here's an example; A little girl went hunting at my hunting club last year, she was using a. 223, she shot the deer directly in center mass, missing the heart and lungs greatly, the deer ran a good distance and it was barely found. The exact same shot placement was used later on with a .280, the deer dropped right there. Shot placements is key, I will agree, but knockdown is a factor that creates room for error. A. 223 to the heart kills a whitetail every time, heck, a .22lr can kill a bear if you shoot it in the eye, but who in the world wants to feed their family with a gun that limits their kill possibility? I'm not saying that people should shoot whitetail with a. 338 lapua, but normally comfort starts in the middle, if you feel comfortable shooting something with a. 223 then go for it, but I don't. But all of it is based on shot placement and room for error (also know as knockdown). I am also starting to put my eyes on smaller caliber because of this forum though, I was looking at a .260 but I might as well use a. 308. I don't know why but I have my eyes set on a short mag, but it's hard to decide, if they make a 7mm short mag. I think that would be perfect. Thanks for posting it really got me thinking.

Hmmmm? The OP knows what a .338 Lapua is but is unaware of 7mm WSM and SAUM?

I wonder if he lives in Paradise AK and just loves to fish? laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Lol

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
How about a 300 Bee?

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,562 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.