Originally Posted by BagABuck
............. Now on to the knockdown matter, here's an example; A little girl went hunting at my hunting club last year, she was using a. 223, she shot the deer directly in center mass, missing the heart and lungs greatly, the deer ran a good distance and it was barely found. The exact same shot placement was used later on with a .280, the deer dropped right there. Shot placements is key, I will agree, but knockdown is a factor that creates room for error......

How about the elk that took a 160 gr bullet too far back in the lungs and was not found for 2-3 days....or the black bear that was hit too far back with a 340 Weatherby and led my pal on a merry chase;about as far as the one hit similarly with a 257 Roberts? Not enough "knockdown power" with either one I guess?

or the mule deer hit too far back with a 7 Rem Mag that went about a mile before being recovered.Again...where's that "room for error"....I could go on if you want to play that game....

it would seem the logical thing is to use a 375H&H for mule deer....that would provide more "room for error"....right? smirk

There is no "knockdown power" that reliably floors BG animals;and there is no "room for error" that is compensated for by powerful rifles and sloppy and indifferent marksmanship.There is only good bullet placement.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.