Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by BagABuck
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by Tanner
What is knockdown?

It's a myth .30 Mag guys made up..... happens to be the only trump card they have on the 7mm Rem. Mag.....

I agree partly on that, shot placement is 75% of it, but knockdown is the other 25%, and without a doubt not a myth.

Yes it is.

Get a 30/06.

Pardon me for being abrupt with the young fella,but I bet he is no where near as recoil proof as he likes to beleive.Recoil tolerance has almost nothing to do with tough shoulders.

A 300 RUM (like a 300 Weatherby or 300 RUM)is a cartridge for thoroughly seasoned and experienced riflemen with very high round count under their belts,ingrained good shooting skills and innured to recoil through experience;not for kids or other neophytes who don't burn several thousand rounds of centerfire ammo annually and believe in myths like "knockdown power".To believe otherwise is wishful thinking.

"Knockdown power" is a very well placed bullet,and nothing else.

If the OP's heart and mind are set on a 300 magnum today I would get a 300 WSM or 300 Win Mag.They are the most practical, most available and (in the case of the WSM),the easiest to shoot well, which is far more imortant than myths about additional knockdown power.

If you can't get it done with one a 300 WSM or 300Win Mag, you should likely stay home.

Thanks Bob. Young man, this is my advice too. Let us save you 30 years of cartridge schizophrenia. You can thank us later grin