A good brake will chop that recoil down fairly well. Although I don't want to be "that guy" at the range. Now on to the knockdown matter, here's an example; A little girl went hunting at my hunting club last year, she was using a. 223, she shot the deer directly in center mass, missing the heart and lungs greatly, the deer ran a good distance and it was barely found. The exact same shot placement was used later on with a .280, the deer dropped right there. Shot placements is key, I will agree, but knockdown is a factor that creates room for error. A. 223 to the heart kills a whitetail every time, heck, a .22lr can kill a bear if you shoot it in the eye, but who in the world wants to feed their family with a gun that limits their kill possibility? I'm not saying that people should shoot whitetail with a. 338 lapua, but normally comfort starts in the middle, if you feel comfortable shooting something with a. 223 then go for it, but I don't. But all of it is based on shot placement and room for error (also know as knockdown). I am also starting to put my eyes on smaller caliber because of this forum though, I was looking at a .260 but I might as well use a. 308. I don't know why but I have my eyes set on a short mag, but it's hard to decide, if they make a 7mm short mag. I think that would be perfect. Thanks for posting it really got me thinking.