Originally Posted by BagABuck
I am young, but I have plenty of shooting experience, and my dad has agreed that it is time for my first rifle. I am looking for a caliber that can take just about anything in North America and Canada with the exception of bear. I am a big fan of the .300 saum, but it's lack of availability is a huge negative factor, but I do reload quite a bit, so I can keep that in check. But... The .300 Ultra Mag. has a bit more FPS and knockdown, but availability isn't good. My least favorite, the. 300 Win. Mag. is the most available by far, and it does offer decent knockdown, but I believe it's over rated and lacks individuality, unlike the other two rounds. I need some experienced minds to help me out. Feel free to correct any of my errors and put in your input, it would be much appreciated.
..............That`s interesting!

Setting aside COALs and action lengths and going strictly on ballistic performances alone, the 300 Win Mag equals in every way the 300 SAUM and a little then some as well.

Curiously! How can a 300 Win be over-rated and be the least favorite in your view, when in reality it ballistically equals and then some the 300 SAUM in every way?

Being the most common and most popular 300 mag, the 300 Win may lack individuality to some (if that`s even important at all). But to define it as over-rated where the 300 SAUM is not over-rated??

But if you prefer a shorter actioned rifle, hence your 300 SAUM preference, then that is another matter. But for better availability in a 300 short action, the 300 WSM gets my vote.

Based on ballistic performance alone, and if you are concerned with better availabilities than either the 300 SAUM and 300 RUM, then the 300 Win is an excellent choice.

Did own and reload a 300 Win for 30+ years btw!

But if so-called cartridge "individuality" is of big concern, then the 300 Win based only on that alone I suppose, wouldn`t be the best choice.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger