Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GSSP
Originally Posted by vapodog
Originally Posted by 340mag
one of my friends has hunted elk with a 257 Roberts for decades, like hes said many times,
place the shot correctly and the results a dead elk, but don,t be surprised if you get little reaction to the bullet impact

I got no reaction to a solid hit from a .280 Remington either...maybe this is also a small caliber?

29 yrs back in Montana, I hit a big 6pt bull "Park" bull through the shoulders once and lungs 2x with the 180 NP from my 30-06 at 100 yds. He never even twitched. I thought I was missing him. He finally got rubbery legs when the 4th shot raked up through his left flank and stopped under the right brisket hide.

Alan

Alan, show a picture of your pre 64 9.3x62 in the other forum please. Thanks buddy...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gravestone
That's nice shooting buffybr but i think that you're more of the "exception" rather than the the "rule". I've been at the range so many times where i see people struggling with a 300WM then pick-up their 308 and get nice groups.

I won't argue with you there. I like to shoot, and I'm at the range almost every week of the year shooting shotgun, rifle, and/or pistols. I've done so for at least 40 years. I probably pop more caps in a week than most hunters shoot in a year. I've also customized/modified my .300 Weatherby and my .375 RUM (and 3 of my shotguns) so that they fit me and they don't kick the s**t out of me. It dosen't hurt me to shoot them, and I reload all of my shells, so I shoot them a lot.

A couple of years ago, one of my antelope hunting buddies showed me a box of his .270 cartridges and asked "Do you remember these?" I told him that I didn't really remember them and he said that I had loaded them for him about 10 years previously. So basically he had shot only about 10 shells in 10 years.

I started hunting elk in the late 60s when I lived in NW Colorado. The locals that I worked and hunted with all used cartridges like the .30-06, .270 Win, .257 Roberts, and .243 Win. They said only the city dudes from Denver would bring out big guns like a .300 Win mag, but they often couldn't hit anything because they were afraid to shoot them.

There is a lot of hype in outdoor magazines, on TV, and on the internet that you need a big caliber cannon to kill an elk, and of extreme range hunting shooting. In reality, you need to be comfortable and familiar with your gun and spend a lot of time on the range with it. I also believe that a true hunter will try to get as close as possible to the animal that he is hunting, and make an ethical, quick kill.

This past fall, I helped with one of the "public sight-in days" that our gun club puts on every year just before the big game season. This allows non-members to shoot and sight-in their rifles with help from member shooters. Of all of the shooters that I helped or saw that day, I don't think any of them would have any business shooting at any animal at any range past 200 yds, reguardless of their rifle or scope.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

buffybr #7125613 11/29/12
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good post buffybr. Like i said you're more the exception. Most guys aren't gonna be accurate shooting a box of shells a year a week before they go hunting out of a hard recoiling gun.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My daughter killed her elk this year with my .270. Granted, it was a small elk, but it was BANG/FLOP. It literally dropped like a sack of potatoes when she shot it.

I have seen my .270 cause so much carnage and damage in the animals I have taken with it, that I would not hesitate for a SECOND to shoot almost anything in N.A. with it.

That gun is SO dialed in, and I am SO comfortable with it, that when I pull the trigger I have no doubts as to the outcome. I'll take that over a 300-whatever any day of the week.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

duck911 #7126884 11/29/12
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From Zero to 600yds if you struggle to kill bulls with a 243/105gr combo then adding recoil will only add problems.

You need to be shooting way beyond 600yds to need more gun than the .243/105 VLD combo.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B2

duck911 #7126895 11/29/12
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My M99R Savage .250 came out of North Central Wyoming where the guy who had it hunted everything with that one rifle. Old Pete told me he used 87 grain bullets for deer and antelope, but switched to 117s for elk. Said he liked to get close on elk and shoot them in the neck.
Once I got the rifle and started working up loads I found he'd made a wise choice. That partial box of Sierra 117s that came with the rifle and about any powder I tried gave a "group" bordering on 6" with several of the holes showing keyholes. Didn't seem to matter much to him, he'd fed his family with it for years.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
When I first started tripping out west to hunt it was before I had killed any elk....but on the ranch where I stayed the rancher and friends (locals) all had elk licenses,so I saw quite a few shot with a range of stuff.

I was stunned into silence by the ranchers "elk" rifle...a Savage 99 takedown in 250-3000 with not a vestige of finish on wood or metal,no scope,and a piece of tire screwed onto the butt as a recoil pad....I kept my mouth shut,which was smart.It was a lesson in many things,and I had been "invited",so best to be quiet and watch what happened. smile

As the years rolled by I would grab a beer after dinner, go to the game barn and trace wound channels through elk carcasses...I don't recall how many 100 gr Silvertips,and Hornady's we dug out of elk carcasses but it was quite a few,along with a bunch of other bullets of different calibers,but many were 24 and 25 from the 250 and 257, 243 and 25/06,and those that got inside and expanded killed elk pretty well.

I did notice that heavy for caliber bullets did a better job by penetrating farther;and that bullets of larger diameter generally did more damage.That I was digging through an elk carcass was an indication that enugh damage was done to kill.

I think we are hard wired to expect something to happen immediately when we pull the trigger, but elk are phlegmatic animals and I have seen big bulls take shots through the ribs from stuff like 300 and 338 magnums and never flinch;shots landing on bone are a bit different.Others reacted by simply collapsing.Reaction is all over the map.

This lack of reaction leads some to start a progressive climb up the caliber ladder for elk with no end in sight,and seems to top out at 375 caliber for some,and in some areas even bigger;but unless you spend the range time that guys like BuffyBear puts in, going over a certain recoil threshhold gets counter productive as accuracy deteriorates,as John Burns indicates.This doesn't stop some people who cling to the delusions about powerful rifles.

That Wyoming rancher? In exchange for being such a great guy and letting me hunt there, I built him a couple of 270's years ago ;after his 250 Savage he thought a 270 Winchester with a 4X Leupold was a magic wand,and the outfit has killed so many elk and big mule deer, both he and I have lost count; among the many reasons I chortle on here when I read some peasant bad mouthing the 270 and with a straight face expecting me to believe it.... smirk smile

Last month he emailed me a picture of a 360 class bull he had killed with the 270 and some handloaded 130 Bitterroots I left at the ranch.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
BobinNH #7127196 11/30/12
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^^^very well said.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ghostwalker TX. wink

BobinNH #7127472 11/30/12
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Still gay. .270, that is...

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B3

Ready #7127562 11/30/12
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good post BobinNH,thanks.

Like i said guys like Buffy are more the exception than the rule.If you're as accurate with a 300WM as you are with a 270,IMO it will give you an edge. Most guys are not and better suited to shooting lighter recoiling guns.

Last edited by Gravestone; 11/30/12.
Ready #7127755 11/30/12
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BobinNH.. good post!

I agree with the vast majority of that post, but I will say that Ive noticed a measurable increase in the number or percentage of deer and elk that very definitely showed a marked reaction on bullet impact when I swapped from a 30/06 to a 340 wby, now both proved fatal with a single hit,so Im not saying one calibers more deadly than the other, but I had more elk run a short distance, before dropping, when hit in similar areas with my 30/06 than with my 340wby
and yes that may be partly due to bullets used.

Last edited by 340mag; 11/30/12.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
29 yrs back in Montana, I hit a big 6pt bull "Park" bull through the shoulders once and lungs 2x with the 180 NP from my 30-06 at 100 yds. He never even twitched. I thought I was missing him. He finally got rubbery legs when the 4th shot raked up through his left flank and stopped under the right brisket hide.

Alan [/quote]

Very nearly the same thing happened to me with the same load. It was a big cow and it was at 60 yards. On the third shot it shivered like it was bitten by a horse fly. Then it collapsed.

I bought a .338 as a result. It doesn't kill faster but they do seem to give a better indication of a hit.

I am back to packing an '06 part of the time for elk.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BobinNH, you're right on there.

Lighter bullets loose their energy and momentum faster than similar heavier bullets with the same Ballistic Coefficent, so, on equal shots, they will not penetrate as deep as the heavier bullets.

IMO a 600 yd shot at a bull elk with a .243 Win is too far away, regardless of the rifle or scope. The energy and momentum just isn't there to reliably make a clean kill on an animal the size of an elk. I respect the animals too much to try stunt shots like that.

Several years ago, a friend and I had our .22-250s at our local gun range, and for fun we were shooting at the 450 yd Ram silouette steel targets. We could hear our .22 cal bullets ring the steel, but none of the targets would fall over. When we switched to our .270 and .30 cal rifles, the Rams fell with every hit.

I've been lucky enough to have lived most of my life in elk country. It costs me little more than the price of a resident, geezer elk tag to kill an elk. I also have up to a 4 1/2 month rifle hunting season for elk. Any year that I don't kill and elk is basically because I choose not to shoot one (like this year). This is a lot different than the non-resident hunter that only has a week or so to hunt elk and will pay from several thousand to over $25,000 to hunt elk.

At those prices, you want to kill your elk quickly, and not waste your hunting days trying to find a wounded animal. This is where the heavier bullets and larger calibers are beneficial. Although I have killed elk with smaller calibers (and even a sharp stick!), I feel that a good .30 caliber bullet at 3000 or more fps will hunanely kill an elk for any shot that I want to take.

And Bob, I don't know how you came up with "BuffyBear" in your previous post, but here's a pic of me and Buffy Bear, my best friend for 14 1/2 years, and a bull that I shot (with my .30 Gibbs and a 180 gr Partition) on the hill behind my home a few years ago.
[Linked Image]

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hell of a good lookin' dog there. The elk is okay too - I hope he (the dog) got some of it.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shorty (an Australian Shepard) helped find this elk.....dogs are not at all bad to have along on an elk hunt

[Linked Image]

Last edited by vapodog; 11/30/12.
BobinNH #7129555 11/30/12
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
When I first started tripping out west to hunt it was before I had killed any elk....but on the ranch where I stayed the rancher and friends (locals) all had elk licenses,so I saw quite a few shot with a range of stuff.

I was stunned into silence by the ranchers "elk" rifle...a Savage 99 takedown in 250-3000 with not a vestige of finish on wood or metal,no scope,and a piece of tire screwed onto the butt as a recoil pad....I kept my mouth shut,which was smart.It was a lesson in many things,and I had been "invited",so best to be quiet and watch what happened. smile

As the years rolled by I would grab a beer after dinner, go to the game barn and trace wound channels through elk carcasses...I don't recall how many 100 gr Silvertips,and Hornady's we dug out of elk carcasses but it was quite a few,along with a bunch of other bullets of different calibers,but many were 24 and 25 from the 250 and 257, 243 and 25/06,and those that got inside and expanded killed elk pretty well.

I did notice that heavy for caliber bullets did a better job by penetrating farther;and that bullets of larger diameter generally did more damage.That I was digging through an elk carcass was an indication that enugh damage was done to kill.

I think we are hard wired to expect something to happen immediately when we pull the trigger, but elk are phlegmatic animals and I have seen big bulls take shots through the ribs from stuff like 300 and 338 magnums and never flinch;shots landing on bone are a bit different.Others reacted by simply collapsing.Reaction is all over the map.

This lack of reaction leads some to start a progressive climb up the caliber ladder for elk with no end in sight,and seems to top out at 375 caliber for some,and in some areas even bigger;but unless you spend the range time that guys like BuffyBear puts in, going over a certain recoil threshhold gets counter productive as accuracy deteriorates,as John Burns indicates.This doesn't stop some people who cling to the delusions about powerful rifles.

That Wyoming rancher? In exchange for being such a great guy and letting me hunt there, I built him a couple of 270's years ago ;after his 250 Savage he thought a 270 Winchester with a 4X Leupold was a magic wand,and the outfit has killed so many elk and big mule deer, both he and I have lost count; among the many reasons I chortle on here when I read some peasant bad mouthing the 270 and with a straight face expecting me to believe it.... smirk smile

Last month he emailed me a picture of a 360 class bull he had killed with the 270 and some handloaded 130 Bitterroots I left at the ranch.

Great post Bob (as per usual). I too get tired of the smack you hear around here anymore..I still call bullchit on the guy that says "if you say you can shoot a magnum better than your 270 then you are lying". Pure fn BS... We are still talking shooting at game in field conditions arn't we? We all know John Burns and Wayne Van Zwoll can put them down at long range with small bore cartridges like the 243 and I have a lot of respect for guys with that ability. However, they too know their limitations. I will damn sure agree with Bob in that the 270 will flat put an elk down when hit right, just as any cartridge will that has the opportunity to penetrate the vitals and cause enough trauma to turn the lights out: A 223 in the right spot will cause this. The moral of the story: use what you are comfortable with, know your limitations, practice (and then practice more!!!!), respect the game animal you are shooting by using proper bullets, put them down as humanely as you can and make your first shot count!!! When it comes to elk hunting, make sure you are prepared, be safe, and know it's going to be a lot of work after you pull the trigger!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've seen somewhere near a dozen elk turfed with a 260, 140 grain bullets. For sure 3 w/ 140 SGKs, 4 with 140 NABs, 3 with Partitions. Killed them as fast as anything, no real discernible difference in time from "pop" to dead elk. Partitions are still truckin', recovered one NAB, SGKs came apart with no exit. Phuggit, 140 SST or AMAX will get the nod on the next few...

I'd have no more qualms fillin' wapiti tags with a 243 or quarter bore than I would with a 338 if that's what my heart desired.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by buffybr

Lighter bullets loose their energy and momentum faster than similar heavier bullets with the same Ballistic Coefficent, so, on equal shots, they will not penetrate as deep as the heavier bullets.

IMO a 600 yd shot at a bull elk with a .243 Win is too far away, regardless of the rifle or scope. The energy and momentum just isn't there to reliably make a clean kill on an animal the size of an elk. I respect the animals too much to try stunt shots like that.

Several years ago, a friend and I had our .22-250s at our local gun range, and for fun we were shooting at the 450 yd Ram silouette steel targets. We could hear our .22 cal bullets ring the steel, but none of the targets would fall over. When we switched to our .270 and .30 cal rifles, the Rams fell with every hit.

I've been lucky enough to have lived most of my life in elk country. It costs me little more than the price of a resident, geezer elk tag to kill an elk. I also have up to a 4 1/2 month rifle hunting season for elk. Any year that I don't kill and elk is basically because I choose not to shoot one (like this year). This is a lot different than the non-resident hunter that only has a week or so to hunt elk and will pay from several thousand to over $25,000 to hunt elk.

At those prices, you want to kill your elk quickly, and not waste your hunting days trying to find a wounded animal. This is where the heavier bullets and larger calibers are beneficial. Although I have killed elk with smaller calibers (and even a sharp stick!), I feel that a good .30 caliber bullet at 3000 or more fps will hunanely kill an elk for any shot that I want to take.

And Bob, I don't know how you came up with "BuffyBear" in your previous post, but here's a pic of me and Buffy Bear, my best friend for 14 1/2 years, and a bull that I shot (with my .30 Gibbs and a 180 gr Partition) on the hill behind my home a few years ago.
[Linked Image]

buffybr: lots of my first years elk hunting was done with a 300 magnum of some sort and 180-200 gr Nosler Partitions,and i guess this was because,after looking at enough elk carcasses,I was trying to move from "adequate" to "thoroughly sufficient"..with some built in "excess".I noticed these cartridges and the 338 types killed elk very dramatically if the bullets landed in the right place.

Today I am so confused I never know what the hell to use.... cry grin By the time I think I have it all figured out John Burns comes along with a little gal and snuffs an elk at 600 yards with a 243 or something similar and I grumble...."there's that damned bullet placement thing again..." crazy

I envy that you live so close to elk country and get to pursue them handily.Great way to live. wink

The BuffyBear thing was just snatched outta thin air because I know your handle on hear but could not recall exactly how it was spelled so just went for what I assumed it stood for....I must be clairvoyant or lucky or something but glad I struck a chord for you and your favorite dog. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by buffybr

[Linked Image]

I remember Buffy well. She was one of the coolest dogs I've ever known.

Kurt, remember that sheep hunt the three of us did in the Hilgards back in 85'?

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 12344mag, 222ND, 1beaver_shooter, 47 invisible), 1,704 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,051
Posts18,521,234
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.