Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Use a S&W 500 Magnum and get the best of both worlds whether it expands or not.

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Been my experience with 45's, 50's, 20 gauges and 12 gauges.

Of course ranges and impact speed matters when we expect a grenade and get a semi-round nose....

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I concur completely on range mattering, but I missed what you meant by expecting a grenade and get a semi-round nose.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or a .480 Ruger, and have less recoil smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

The S&W 500 is waaaay overrated on felt recoil. There are tales of horror on the internet about the devastating recoil of the S&W 500, and we all know if it's on da innanet it's gotta be true.

In reality, a heavy bullet loaded hot in a .44 Magnum has a much sharper felt recoil than my 6.5" barreled S&W 500 Magnum. Heck, even factory 240 grain loads in the .44 Magnum have more felt recoil to me than 500 grain factory loads shot from my 500 Magnum.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

The S&W 500 is waaaay overrated on felt recoil. There are tales of horror on the internet about the devastating recoil of the S&W 500, and we all know if it's on da innanet it's gotta be true.

In reality, a heavy bullet loaded hot in a .44 Magnum has a much sharper felt recoil than my 6.5" barreled S&W 500 Magnum. Heck, even factory 240 grain loads in the .44 Magnum have more felt recoil to me than 500 grain factory loads shot from my 500 Magnum.
Everybody feels recoil differently. I've owned 3 500 smiths, multiple 44 mags and a host of other large bore revolvers. I would take a hot 44 mag or 45 colt any day over the 500 smith in terms of felt recoil to me.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by DocRocket
OK...

This is a pic of my new project bullet... an LBT WFN bullet adapted by Erik at hollowpointbullets.com with his unique design. Sorry for the lousy quality of the cellphone pic.

[Linked Image]

The HP cavity is conical, about 1/2" deep. The HP cavity displaces about 30 gr of lead, so the nominal 300 gr mould throws 270 gr HP bullets. Accuracy potential is, so far, very good. Which means that the HP cavities in Erik's design are concentric. At this point I'm working with two loads, one at about 920 fps, and the other at about 1150 fps, trying to find the right alloy for accuracy plus expansion potential at that velocity. I've got a [bleep] of gallon milk jugs saved up for the expansion tests. Probably won't get around to doing those tests until February, though... gotta lotta hunting to do right now, so ammo and load development is on a backburner for a bit yet.

Doc, please post your results when you get around to testing the new 10mm hard cast HP bullet. Looks to be a great 10mm hunting bullet! Should works great in my Glock 20 that I normally carry while bow hunting in NM & CO.

Well, it might be a while getting those results posted, as I'm working with a .45 caliber HP bullet, not a 10mm!!
grin

But I have no doubt that the 10mm/40 cal bullet I posted the link to will be a devastating hunting bullet. I've had a notion to build a hunting pistol on an EAA/Tanfoglio Witness platform for years, but just haven't got around to it. I really, really like the ballistics of the 10mm, and if one had a big pistol like that with a good scope, you'd have possibly the ultimate hunting handgun for anything from up-close-pig-stickin' to cornfield-drive running deer shots.

Now that you've got me thinking about it again, I may have to see what I can do about reviving that project!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Magnum, my only issue with the .500 smith is that it's just huge. Some point after a super redhawk it just became something else. I guess if I was over 7' feet or so. Lol. I just think the whole X frame cylinder etc stopped being a handgun when a two point sling is added from the factory. You might as well have a carbine of some sort. In factory guns, if I "want" power, the Casull or stout .45lc is plenty while still being "handgun size".

Doc, I may have to get that mold. I don't even have a 10mm yet. But there's nothing wrong with getting ready. Lol. In the meantime the .40 could try some.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The "perfect" huntin bullet would always hit where you wanted it AND expend all of it's energy 1" outside the far side hide!
No matter what range!

Anything more is a waste of energy and meat.

That said it always comes back to one:
.22 long rifle
Critters take a step at most and fall dead.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by TheWarrior
Doc, I may have to get that mold. I don't even have a 10mm yet. But there's nothing wrong with getting ready. Lol. In the meantime the .40 could try some.

Now you're talking.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by TheWarrior
Magnum, my only issue with the .500 smith is that it's just huge. Some point after a super redhawk it just became something else. I guess if I was over 7' feet or so. Lol. I just think the whole X frame cylinder etc stopped being a handgun when a two point sling is added from the factory. You might as well have a carbine of some sort. In factory guns, if I "want" power, the Casull or stout .45lc is plenty while still being "handgun size".

It is big...no way of getting around that. But I don't have the short butt-stock rifle they call the 460 XVR with a 14" barrel and a two-point sling to match; that is a hand-rifle, on the same order that Thompson Contenders and Encores are hand-rifles and not handguns in the traditional sense. My revolver has no sling swivel attached to it and it only has a 6.5" barrel. Yeah, it's big, but it's still a handgun, not a hand-rifle. I'm 6'2", 240 lbs and I don't feel the handgun is too big for me to carry or shoot.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
I concur completely on range mattering, but I missed what you meant by expecting a grenade and get a semi-round nose.

A JSP, on the left, at 1,000 fps impact speed on dry print. I did this since I finished off a critter at close range with the same bullet (not recovered) and noticed that magical expanding bullets don't always work like they do in the ads.
[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Or the wonderful Hornady XTP.
[Linked Image]

The bullet on the left is a 1/2 wheelweight, 1/2 pure lead softnose; both hit at 950 fps, or about the speed at 50 yards started out at 1,000-1,050 fps..

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hawk1... you do know that HP bullets expand primarily due to buildup of fluid pressure in the nose cavity, right? And as such firing them into non-fluid mediums like dry newsprint will result in failure to expand more often than not, right?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Penetration.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
^, what doc said+1.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DaddyRat
OK, all things being equal, say a .44 mag with 240 grain bullets at the same velocity which do you find more important? Penetration from a Keith style bullet or expansion from a JHP (say an xtp. Disclaimer, this would be used on whitetails nothing bigger.

Speaking in terms of hunting whitetail deer with a 44 magnum handgun; grab a 50 round box of Black Hills 240 grain JHP, which are loaded with the XTP @ 1260fps, and you should see outstanding accuracy and dependable performance straight out the box. If you have any issue killing whitetail deer, it will be due to shot placement and not bullet performance. My two cents, save the big end cast bullets for larger game, unless you need one load to cover medium and large game at the same time. Nothing wrong with Keith loads, but they're not as stout as the big loads for big stuff, and I seriously doubt you'd kill deer any more reliably than with the XTP.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Kind of, they primarily rely on impact (think FTX, the same essential bullet as the XTP with a "dry" soft plastic tip) and a soft alloy doesn't even need a hollow point or fluid pressure.

I agree though, that harder mediums like wood, bone and dry print isn't very good for expanders.

The same two bullets didn't appear to expand for me on deer as well, but not having recovered them, I didn't know for certain.

Note the JSP didn't seem to expand, either, where there is no place for fluid pressure.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Most hollow point handgun bullets are pure lead cores with skived, thinly jacketed compromised (pre-weakened) tips. They are designed as light as possible because even the thinnest gilding metal is a real bitch to make peel at handgun impact speeds. That metal is always harder than lead. The bonded/plated ones are a tad softer than gilding metal.

Even in non-forgiving mediums (mediums that supply enough force to give a jacket no place to go), a soft enough alloy doesn't care, where it matters to a jacketed bullet, be it JSP or hollow point.

Last edited by HawkI; 12/08/12.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DaddyRat
OK, all things being equal, say a .44 mag with 240 grain bullets at the same velocity which do you find more important? Penetration from a Keith style bullet or expansion from a JHP (say an xtp. Disclaimer, this would be used on whitetails nothing bigger.
Since handguns lack the advantages of high powered rifles (e.g., hydrostatic shock induced wound cavity and enough power for both expansion and penetration with the use of premium bullets), you really have to like the deep penetration philosophy for handguns, relying on sectional density and a destructive meplat for maximum tissue destruction and blood loss.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1badf350, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,951
Posts18,519,264
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.