Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I dunno, maybe it's gonna be a FrankenFavorite ?

Terry was looking for some original Stevens Favorite Wood. I offered him some beat up Stevens Model 44 stocks,.....that I figured would adapt to a Favorite without much grief. The form of the Favorite stocks lies within the 44 stocks, as it were.
(Plus one gets a cool Iron Crescent Butt Plate, versus that rubber thing that most Favorites had, and is invariably broken, The Plastic replacements are,....well, TACKY. The 44 DOES have appreciably wider top and lower tangs, here's the 44 stocks, posed by a Favorite

[Linked Image]

So, what I had here was oil soaked, and split. I Milled all the oil soaked, split wood away,top and bottom and mortised a 45* "tail" into the .550" cuts

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Took the tail end residue of an old Win 52C stock that I've cabbaged parts off of to repair several other stocks ( this was one of the ones whose Metal was munched by Clinton and Reno).
Milled it to width, milled the 45* "Tail" on the piece, and stuffed it in the new wide mortise on lots of Acra-Glas

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The BOSS has approved this project, thus far.

[Linked Image]

Pretty quick that Acra-Glas will be set up enough that I can saw what's left of the 'Insert' off, flip it over, and plunk it into the new top tang mortise before shutting things down for the night.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You folks with real talent and ability here around the fire gripe me.

Seriously though, I like where this project is going.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sweet, and you've got the dog guarding it.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The dog is waiting for him to turn his back then it becomes a chew toy.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am a bit worried, the "boss" she ain't smilin'! smile smile

DAYUMN, you are a wood magician as well as a metal wizard. This is gonna be SO COOL.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All I can do is pay.

You have a good man on the job.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ain't a doubt in my mind about that Mako25.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The Acra Glas was right at that kinda' desirable stage where you can still trim it without a jackhammer,....but well "Fixtured".
it's a LOT easier to razor knife / scrape at this point, than it will be tomorrow morning

[Linked Image]

The upper portion was sawed off, and fitted on top of the other insert

[Linked Image]

Than Acra Glassed in.

[Linked Image]

I finally unpacked Terry's frame (certainly is an OILY bugger), it's tangs are both of .456" width,......I'll find a real CLOSE nominal 2 flute milling cutter, for their mortises.....a .457 would sure be nice. The buttstock will be cut to the correct angle / spread for the 44 frame FIRST, than "Centerlined". Given that The thickness of these new inserts will show but .054" on the sides of the Favorite tangs,....getting those cuts STRAIGHT is going to make , or break the finished appearance of the job.
Once the frame's rough inletted, with some wood remaining "Proud", I'll reduce the Crescent buttplate's outer dimensions (it's currently protruding a bit, from natural wood shrinkage, and a long gone "Re-Finishing job"). I'll leave the wood "proud", as is, and Tery will be doing the final scraping, sanding, and finishing.

Dunno' WHAT the hell I'll do about the fore end.

No doubt something by way of a practical solution will appear, though.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 12/09/12.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Florida is HUMID, that frame will rust over night here and G96 is CHEAP. Have not figured out what to do with metal finishing yet. The barrel is an un-marked (makers or caliber) stainless Douglas "blem" (has some random machine scratches on the out side) stepped in the Mauser 98 military manner. This is the best picture I have of it at present.

[Linked Image]

Old cat turd!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Damn cool crossfireoops, but what the hell has this got to do with unionism or Boehner? Have you forgot what board you're on. But I still kinda like the gun theme post anyway. wink

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is a HELL of a lot better than those topics! And it is MY gun he is working on. smile smile

Old cat turd!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You'll get no arguement from me with logic like that! Can't wait to see her when it's done.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T LEE
Florida is HUMID, that frame will rust over night here and G96 is CHEAP. Have not figured out what to do with metal finishing yet. The barrel is an un-marked (makers or caliber) stainless Douglas "blem" (has some random machine scratches on the out side) stepped in the Mauser 98 military manner. This is the best picture I have of it at present.

[Linked Image]

Terry, if I have the Diameter / dimensions of that barrel I can send the inserted forend back fitted with an "underlug".
Will you be able to cut in a dovetail for same into the barrel, over there ?

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The barrel is D&T for the Favorite forend now using a through screw. FYI the barrel contour is as follows:

Receiver out to 5" is .720
then steps down to .685 for 4.5"
then final step down to .620 to the muzzle.
This is stepped in the Mauser style.

If it needs to be attached differently I am certain the young fellow I turned my customers over to will handle any dovetail cutting necessary.

Old cat turd!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here are a couple better pictures of the barrel Greg. Carl says "no sweat" on dovetailing the barrel. Also added I sure am working him hard on a $10.00 rifle! smile smile smile

You are amazing in your skills BTW.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Old cat turd!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ya'll are reminding me I need to send my 1915 Favorite to Cross. smile The barrel seems to shoot well enough to justify fixing it up a bit, by finding a tang sight and fixing the worn extractor/ejector.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a .458 barrel blank I'd contribute....................... chamber it in 460 Wby and call it an "Improved Favorite".

I mean... it ain't like you're gonna really shoot it anyhow.

Right? grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The .22 Favorite will get shot a LOT. A thunderboomingshouldercruncher would NOT!

Old cat turd!

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
a .457 would sure be nice.

11.5mm would get you awful close.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
smile smile smile

Old cat turd!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 222ND, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 59 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,798
Posts18,516,179
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.