Home
I dunno, maybe it's gonna be a FrankenFavorite ?

Terry was looking for some original Stevens Favorite Wood. I offered him some beat up Stevens Model 44 stocks,.....that I figured would adapt to a Favorite without much grief. The form of the Favorite stocks lies within the 44 stocks, as it were.
(Plus one gets a cool Iron Crescent Butt Plate, versus that rubber thing that most Favorites had, and is invariably broken, The Plastic replacements are,....well, TACKY. The 44 DOES have appreciably wider top and lower tangs, here's the 44 stocks, posed by a Favorite

[Linked Image]

So, what I had here was oil soaked, and split. I Milled all the oil soaked, split wood away,top and bottom and mortised a 45* "tail" into the .550" cuts

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Took the tail end residue of an old Win 52C stock that I've cabbaged parts off of to repair several other stocks ( this was one of the ones whose Metal was munched by Clinton and Reno).
Milled it to width, milled the 45* "Tail" on the piece, and stuffed it in the new wide mortise on lots of Acra-Glas

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The BOSS has approved this project, thus far.

[Linked Image]

Pretty quick that Acra-Glas will be set up enough that I can saw what's left of the 'Insert' off, flip it over, and plunk it into the new top tang mortise before shutting things down for the night.

GTC

You folks with real talent and ability here around the fire gripe me.

Seriously though, I like where this project is going.
Sweet, and you've got the dog guarding it.
The dog is waiting for him to turn his back then it becomes a chew toy.
I am a bit worried, the "boss" she ain't smilin'! smile smile

DAYUMN, you are a wood magician as well as a metal wizard. This is gonna be SO COOL.
All I can do is pay.

You have a good man on the job.
Ain't a doubt in my mind about that Mako25.
The Acra Glas was right at that kinda' desirable stage where you can still trim it without a jackhammer,....but well "Fixtured".
it's a LOT easier to razor knife / scrape at this point, than it will be tomorrow morning

[Linked Image]

The upper portion was sawed off, and fitted on top of the other insert

[Linked Image]

Than Acra Glassed in.

[Linked Image]

I finally unpacked Terry's frame (certainly is an OILY bugger), it's tangs are both of .456" width,......I'll find a real CLOSE nominal 2 flute milling cutter, for their mortises.....a .457 would sure be nice. The buttstock will be cut to the correct angle / spread for the 44 frame FIRST, than "Centerlined". Given that The thickness of these new inserts will show but .054" on the sides of the Favorite tangs,....getting those cuts STRAIGHT is going to make , or break the finished appearance of the job.
Once the frame's rough inletted, with some wood remaining "Proud", I'll reduce the Crescent buttplate's outer dimensions (it's currently protruding a bit, from natural wood shrinkage, and a long gone "Re-Finishing job"). I'll leave the wood "proud", as is, and Tery will be doing the final scraping, sanding, and finishing.

Dunno' WHAT the hell I'll do about the fore end.

No doubt something by way of a practical solution will appear, though.

GTC
Florida is HUMID, that frame will rust over night here and G96 is CHEAP. Have not figured out what to do with metal finishing yet. The barrel is an un-marked (makers or caliber) stainless Douglas "blem" (has some random machine scratches on the out side) stepped in the Mauser 98 military manner. This is the best picture I have of it at present.

[Linked Image]
Damn cool crossfireoops, but what the hell has this got to do with unionism or Boehner? Have you forgot what board you're on. But I still kinda like the gun theme post anyway. wink
This is a HELL of a lot better than those topics! And it is MY gun he is working on. smile smile
You'll get no arguement from me with logic like that! Can't wait to see her when it's done.
Originally Posted by T LEE
Florida is HUMID, that frame will rust over night here and G96 is CHEAP. Have not figured out what to do with metal finishing yet. The barrel is an un-marked (makers or caliber) stainless Douglas "blem" (has some random machine scratches on the out side) stepped in the Mauser 98 military manner. This is the best picture I have of it at present.

[Linked Image]

Terry, if I have the Diameter / dimensions of that barrel I can send the inserted forend back fitted with an "underlug".
Will you be able to cut in a dovetail for same into the barrel, over there ?

GTC
The barrel is D&T for the Favorite forend now using a through screw. FYI the barrel contour is as follows:

Receiver out to 5" is .720
then steps down to .685 for 4.5"
then final step down to .620 to the muzzle.
This is stepped in the Mauser style.

If it needs to be attached differently I am certain the young fellow I turned my customers over to will handle any dovetail cutting necessary.
Here are a couple better pictures of the barrel Greg. Carl says "no sweat" on dovetailing the barrel. Also added I sure am working him hard on a $10.00 rifle! smile smile smile

You are amazing in your skills BTW.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Ya'll are reminding me I need to send my 1915 Favorite to Cross. smile The barrel seems to shoot well enough to justify fixing it up a bit, by finding a tang sight and fixing the worn extractor/ejector.

I've got a .458 barrel blank I'd contribute....................... chamber it in 460 Wby and call it an "Improved Favorite".

I mean... it ain't like you're gonna really shoot it anyhow.

Right? grin
The .22 Favorite will get shot a LOT. A thunderboomingshouldercruncher would NOT!
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
a .457 would sure be nice.

11.5mm would get you awful close.
smile smile smile
11.5X.03937=.4527
I understood the first time Sir, I really did, thus the smile smile
Just in ,.......we're pushing hard to get ahead of an advancing front of colder weather, and (hopefully) rain. Will try to get a pic or two before Sundown,....hell, it IS Sundown.

Terry, looks like my eye was good. Abutted to just shy of the original wrist face of the 44 stock, the Favorite action will come in at a good standard 13" LOP in the "gut " of the crescent BP. There will be LOTS of extra wood to sculpt into someting pretty daoggone unique, and graceful.

Dunno what "G96" is, but after a 1/2 hour soaking in GASOLINE, and air drying, I can still smell the stuff. Good frame / action, although there's something wierd going on with the block screw......we'll see.

I gotta dig out some pics of a Sharps #1 Heavy octagon ( relined to .22 LR), with a tiny # 4 Roller action hanging off it's rather large butt,.....thery're probably around somewhere.

Later

GTC

GTC
I understood the first time Sir, I really did, thus the smile smile

oh,..I know,..I just took the opportunity to show how close it was to what cross was looking for in case he didn't have a calculator handy.
G96 gun treatment is what I use to clean and protect my iron. NEVER doubted your "eye" for a second Sir. Welded the D&T on the barrel today, kinda. smile That shim is taking the place of stripped threads me thinks, that is why I didn't futz with it.

[Linked Image]
I like that G96 stuff,works good and doesn't gum up at -25. That's about all I can add to this thread, so carry on, I'm really enjoyin this.
Hey Hoser. ......take off, Eh ?

.......Not much to report here,.....Here's a coupla' pics of Terry's Favorite frame/action superimosed over the mended 44 stock it'll wear when complete.

The mended 44 stock has already undergone SEVERAL "Sanding & Refinishing" episodes along it's trail so far. I'm GLAD it isn't any more "Scant",......'cuz there's obviously just enough wood left to accomodate the notably smaller Favorite action. The wrist is rock solid, and the stock "Rings" when struck now, there's some damned decent old wood in the thing (albeit from several different directions). That's not a "crack" running lengthways up the thing, either,.....it's an old oil stain,....oil and iron oxides that wept out and drizzled down the left side of the thing, while it sat in a corner of some barn.

.....you could wonder,....some recently enlisted young fellow, leaving for Europe, or the Pacific ?

So much for quilting old rifle stocks back together, with other old rifle's wood, this evening.

GTC

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
MAN OH MAN! That is gonna be SO great to shoot.
Bristoe's sending over the end mill needed for the tang mortises

THANKS, B !

GTC
TOO COOL, THANK YOU BRISTOE!!!!!

This joint is just the best bunch on the 'net.
no sweat,....I got a bushel basket of 'em
Terry, I have one of those chambered for the venerable .25-20 SS. It's probably in 95%+ condition externally with a small split in the forearm. All colors are good, as is the bore. I mounted a MVA Schuetzen verier on it and anticipate poppin' some caps in late January after some other projects are wrapped up. Early pic below pre-vernier installation.

[Linked Image]
That is a sweet looking rifle DD.

I have a Savage 72, the remake from back in the 1970's of the Favorite that they called "Crackshot". (this is all steel not like the current cast & MIM junkers they currently offer) that I re-chambered to .22WMR. Also an original Remington #4 Rolling block in .22 LR. This little fellow will round out my single shot rimfire battery quite nicely.
My H&A in .25-20 Win. will kick that old pelter's azz. wink

GTC
Another "Bent, Broken, and Busted" arm made it's way into my fold, an early Uberti "Open Top" chambered in .45 LC. apparently Colt actually BUILT these things for a very brief period ?
A "re-enactors piece", the thing's fired more shots on Historic Tombstone's Allen Street than the Earps, Clantons, and other assorted gazoonies ever DREAMT of lighting off.

I've got the base pin and barrel pointing more or less back in the right direction eek , and some final slicking up will see the action / timing satisfactory.

It had a rather small grip on it, I found a larger set of '59 percussion grips (I THINK that's what they are) and added about .450" to the depth of the brass grip frame. Had to remove a bunch of brass elsewhere, too. At least now a guy'll be able to hang onto the thing with full up BP loads. The Ejector rod Housing, and all of it's guts are missing (probably in the interest of "Quick Draw". An old salvage Marlin "Glenfield" barrel gave it's all for this cause this afternoon, and will become the new ejector rod housing.
[Linked Image]
Interesting setup, the entire lash-up apparently held on with one stout screw, transverse through the lower barrel bolster, hole for same visible here.
[Linked Image]
And here with the .0295" lug fitted, still needing to be drilled / tapped.
[Linked Image]

The New ejector rod housing will be bored out to .310" I.D., before the slot for the nut's milled in. The "Lug" will be nested into a radiused cut into the housing, if I can get the sucker close enough, I'll silver braze it. Dunno', I may just cheat and TIG it.

I've not been able to find another complete gun to study, cogitate on. If anybody has one of these things , I could REALLY use a pic or two of the geometry of the slot in which the "Ejector Rod Nut" rides in, in it's fore and aft tram. I THINK the slot rakes off at a slight angle for about 3/4" up at the muzzle end, but am not real certain. Any savvy available regarding this ejector set up is welcomed.

Greg
Back when I had my shop a guy dropped in with some kind of brass framed cap and ball 6 shooter.

Evidently, the practice of globbin' Crisco on top of the loaded chambers had escaped his attention and he had experienced a chainfire.

First time I had even seen a barrel leaded on the *outside*,..and the recoil of all 6 chambers going off at once had forced the cylinder rearward enough to make an impression in the brass frame.

He asked if I could fix it.

I pointed to the trash can.
This one here is a QUALITY gun,......just been rode a lil' hard is all.

Slicked up, and kept in the BP pressure/ velocity realm, I think it'll be just fine.

Some of that "Dark Valley in Italy" , off-brand stuff is pretty awful, and nothing I want pressured up in my mitt.

GTC
My H&A in .25-20 Win. will kick that old pelter's azz. wink

GTC

Yer funny! laugh

Slicked up, and kept in the BP pressure/ velocity realm, I think it'll be just fine.

Some of that "Dark Valley in Italy" , off-brand stuff is pretty awful, and nothing I want pressured up in my mitt.

GTC

Oh,..I wasn't making a comment on your revolver,....just revisiting a thought that it brought to mind.
Ya vell, let me ban tellin yooo,

SVEN installed a custom lever on this rifle, and it's WAY prettier than yours !

[Linked Image]

This old thing's so ugly it's beautiful, and I'll have to get a pick of the homemade (and NOT bad) Oak buttstock, and the "custom"
steel buttplate......it's a real genuWINE piece of American hobby gunsmithing at it's funkier (but FUNCTIONAL) level.

It's a re-line (also a bit funky), wears an old Lyman Alaskan.

Gotta' find a mold, somewhen, the little stinker really runs well.

GTC
Great thread gentlemen...we need more like this. Enjoying it very much.
Ya vell, let me ban tellin yooo,

SVEN installed a custom lever on this rifle, and it's WAY prettier than yours !

[Linked Image]

This old thing's so ugly it's beautiful, and I'll have to get a pick of the homemade (and NOT bad) Oak buttstock, and the "custom"
steel buttplate......it's a real genuWINE piece of American hobby gunsmithing at it's funkier (but FUNCTIONAL) level.

It's a re-line (also a bit funky), wears an old Lyman Alaskan.

Gotta' find a mold, somewhen, the little stinker really runs well.

GTC

Mein Gott! Vat a lofly piece ov eengineering dot es!

GTC

Great info, as usual smile I bought a Uberti Walker replica a couple months ago, haven't shot it yet. 20 years ago I had one, and it shot quite well with the historic powder charge of 60 grains of FFFg, at least until the barrel leaded. With this new one came a manual, so I pull it out, and find they recommend 30 grains max. Hmmm...
[Linked Image]
The little slot up forward is visible in that drawing. I'd sure like to see what that slot looks like, viewed form below. There's got to be some sorta' angular geometry that roll the ejector "Rod Nut" up into a tucked away position against the barrel, so as to prevent it moving when being holstered ?

Oh well, it took 6 months to chase down a drawing of a Rifle Musket sight once,.......wound up getting em' from The Tower Of London Archive........This'll be a wee bit easier, I'd venture.

GTC

Great info, as usual smile I bought a Uberti Walker replica a couple months ago, haven't shot it yet. 20 years ago I had one, and it shot quite well with the historic powder charge of 60 grains of FFFg, at least until the barrel leaded. With this new one came a manual, so I pull it out, and find they recommend 30 grains max. Hmmm...

I'd be interested in seeing whether they reduced the chamber capacity in those later Walker replica's.
Glad to see you so heavily into the gun work again compadre, these threads are good chit. I gotta say though, that fancy lever has nothing on spoonhandle.

I'll have to take another (more recent) look at Keith's Sixguns, Management of the Cap and Ball Sixgun.
There's alot of good info in there. Before he was the handloader we know today Keith spent a lot of time behind 36 Navys and Dragoons, seems to have known his stuff pretty well there too.
Here is a batch of pictures of one for sale on Gunauction.com it is here in town, maybe I can get some measurements.

http://classic.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=11583970
Bingo !

Not "Replicating" anything here, .....that sure will get me pretty close, though.

The price of the factory parts (all on "back order") is a non-starter,.....I'll make em'.

Thanks T !

GTC

I'd be interested in seeing whether they reduced the chamber capacity in those later Walker replica's.

Good point, I'll check it tonight & advise.
Used a Redman's PILOTED "lINER DRILL" TO BORE THE NEW EJECTOR HOUSING OUT TO .310" i.d. (LEAVING A .O50" WALL)about 1.5" of the original .22 bore was left in the after section as a rod guide, and a "Seat" for the spring.
[Linked Image]
The little "Lug" was a PITA to spool up AND FIT.
[Linked Image]
I left a LOT more beef on mine, versus the factory setup pictured in that link Terry kindly posted.
[Linked Image]
Windy here,.....and I've not set up a TIG booth (yet),retreated out of the gale into a conex and demonstrated that a wicker bar stool is NOT a 1/2 ton welding bench. I HAVE done nicer work.
[Linked Image]
End result is looking 'bout like this
[Linked Image]

This whole setup, is, by original design, pretty hokey,.....I'm probably going to fit a threaded lug into the barrel up on the front, as was done on the '73s, and use it to keep the ejector shroud from flopping around in resonance to the barrel, and will change the rod / rod slot arrangement around to something closer to a Ruger, tucking the slot WAY in under the barrel out of harm's way. I don't believe they use ANY locking notches cut into the slot, either. I'll figure and fit just enough rod travel to get the cases clear, and NO MORE. At that point one will know where to cut the housing off with room for a Winchester style mag plug to hold all the guts in.

GTC
That should work just fine cross, your skills are amazing Sir.

Not really, and they should not be viewed in that glorified context.
I'd say that one time they were NOT. Just about ANY small town garage had a lathe / mill setup, and a bit of welding gear and a LARGE population of AMERICAN "Mechanics" were all capable of cobbling up small parts at the drop of a hat.
I used to rebuild starters, generators and carburetors as a normal course amigo, but times have changed and most "mechanics" today are parts swappers after a computer tells em which one.

It was nothing to solder up a leaking radiator or heater core, rivet new linings on brake shoes....... ah hell, I could go on for pages but you know what I am talking about.

Now days my hands don't work like they used to and my "Mark I Eyeball" ain't even "close enough" anymore.

Not really, and they should not be viewed in that glorified context.
I'd say that one time they were NOT. Just about ANY small town garage had a lathe / mill setup, and a bit of welding gear and a LARGE population of AMERICAN "Mechanics" were all capable of cobbling up small parts at the drop of a hat.

Is good for America. I break, you fix. Taco Viva!
I used to rebuild starters, generators and carburetors as a normal course amigo, but times have changed and most "mechanics" today are parts swappers after a computer tells em which one.

It was nothing to solder up a leaking radiator or heater core, rivet new linings on brake shoes....... ah hell, I could go on for pages but you know what I am talking about.

Now days my hands don't work like they used to and my "Mark I Eyeball" ain't even "close enough" anymore.

Terry - parts seem NOT to be available anymore, only "assemblies" (at whatever cost the consumer can be stuck with)!

Mark
Tell me about it, that is because it is easier to just replace the whole thing, the "throwaway society" rears it's ugly head.

There is a ton of Colt single and double action revolvers running around my area with "made by TL" parts in em as well many varied and sundry other makes both familiar and obscure. Wish I could still do it and had the equipment to do it with but that ain't gonna happen. Thank God I have friends like Greg!!!!!!!
Thank God I have friends like Greg!!!!!!!

That, there, is the quote of the year!

Quite a quote, considering he won "Champion Campfire Curmudgeon" by a landslide! grin

Thanks again, Greg, for sharing your skills and talents!

Ed
Weather (for here) has gone pretty foul, so I've been keeping the heat on in, and fully inhabiting my little shop,......a good sanity break, in these, our troubled and tormented times.

Working on this formerly derelict Uberti "Open Top".......

I got started on the "Cam Slot" in the new ejector housing, and was done with it before it dawned that I'd not gotten pics,.....Oh well.

Some material left from another job was offset four jaw chucked, centered,turned to a .310 "spud", and than punched with a #21 Hole. The piece (and some "Lagniappe") was than parted off.

[Linked Image]

That was parted off, and checked for "Print",....yup, that'll fly

[Linked Image]

The part was than 3 jaw chucked, and another "spud" carved in

[Linked Image]

Some hog milling stripped off the larger diameter, and the piece was than tapped 10-32 (while there's still something to get a hold of)

[Linked Image]

At this point, the part's staring to look pretty SMALL, and is WAY harder to grab in the vice,......one has to move a LOT slower, and be doggone sure of his moves. Grabbing a German Beer seemed to be a good move. If you haven't tried this particular beer, I encourage you to do so.

[Linked Image]

The "Ejector Nut" (that's what Colt called it) is now tramming (albeit very tight, and bound) in it's cam slot in the ejector housing. That would seem to be about enough fun for this day.

[Linked Image]

Hope that 11.5 end mill blows into Dodge, muy Pronto,....I'll steer this thread back onto Terry's Stevens.

Best Regards,

GTC

This is just as good Cross, fine job on the old shooter Sir.
Look what turned up in the mail !
........an 11.5 milling cutter, looks new, and dead sharp.....
Thanks, Bristoe !

GTC

[Linked Image]
TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL!
No sweat,..just keep the pics of the project coming.

This is my favorite thread at present.
ME TOO! smile smile smile
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Same here. Don't be surprised if I show up next week with some beer for the price of admission to observe firsthand.
I'm looking REAL close at the somewhat SCANT depth of the 44 wood's wrist, versus the outside dimension of the Favorite Tangs, and thinking that I may graft another 1/4" of material on top, so's not to have an embarrassing gully / dip behind the top tang.

The Old Stevens 44 wood is MASSIVE in it's dimensions, when compared to a the Favorite,......no way we want this looking scant in it's lines.

"Bottom line" is indeed the bottom line here,.....I want that lower tang dead nuts straight with the lower line of the stock, all the way back to it's heel.

Bristoe, I wanted to send you a copy of "Old Wolfville", your return address, for doing same (e.g. Santa Claus, North Pole),....DON'T look promising, in that regard.

Chester,......bring it.

GTC
Ah just bend the top tang Cross! smile smile smile
Not so fast,......I've had to Silver solder a few of those on which that was attempted.

Remember, ....this is a CAST IRON action,.....

OK, so with judicious application of heat, maybe a whisker or two,....we'll see how it measures out, first, though.

GTC

Mine too! You guys with machining skills.......
Not so fast,......I've had to Silver solder a few of those on which that was attempted.

Remember, ....this is a CAST IRON action,.....

OK, so with judicious application of heat, maybe a whisker or two,....we'll see how it measures out, first, though.

GTC

That is why I added the smilies Cross, have soldered a couple myself in years past.
I have a head scratcher at the shop, a Winchester '06 that have a BIG lump of braze on top of the barrel to the receiver! Try to get a couple of pictures.
I had an old smokeless roller turn up, years ago Someone had WELDED a turned down '03 barrel into the bored out original 7 X 57 shank, and than chambered the thing in '06 AI. eek eek eek

It came with some loaded and some fireformed. The fireformed looked like the primers were painted or plated on,.....

....talk about riding with God.

Later,

GTC
shocked shocked Scary....... someone once gave me a '88 Mauser that had been "blacksmithed" into a 30-06. We figured it was a bomb waiting to happen so made up some "blue pill" loads and hooked it up with a very long string......... the darn thing held through several tries and then we quit. It was safely disposed of before it killed someone. Darn shame, the workmanship in those old Mausers was pretty.
Here is the '06 with stabilized barrel/receiver modification:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Custom barrel/magazine band:

[Linked Image]

And I forgot to take a pick of the "bobbed concealed carry hammer"!

Finish is a bit worn:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Geez, Terry, that thing's a wreck. Looks like something that one of those TV alligator hunters would tote around.
This is FL and Alligator country!
The one that had me scratching my head lately was a 03 Springfield 971xxx S/N, with 1942 barrel, and a old Bishop sporter stock, complete with white line spacers. The undrilled receiver and Lyman Receiver sight were good things. The $1199 price tag at Gander Mountain was not frown
This one here's pretty "rare" and special,.....in this view, starting the "Mild Abrasive Restoritive Treatment"

[Linked Image]

Once it's undergone full restoration I'll be asking $859.00 + shipping.

I WILL let this rare jewel go,as is, and as a "Campfire Christmas Special", for the paltry sum of $459.00

Pre-64 Model 70 trades considered.

Do NOT miss this opportunity !>>>ACT NOW<>>>>>>

[Linked Image]
There are some real bubba'd ones out there and it is scary!
Under all that "Hard run",....there's a WELL BUILT Savage .410,....

I'd pay no attention to the few blemishes,....alla' that'll buff right out, a little Tru-Oil, and some Cold Blue , she'll be right..

so,....what's your opening offer on this rare, and fine arm, Amigo ?

GTC

Well I paid ten bucks for the Stevens............
Yesterday evening, I lacked decent LIGHT in the shop, so I decided to wait on fitting those tangs. I did "tweeak' the top tang just a whisker (cold, in a stout vice),....adding another laminate should not be required.Decided to get this "open Top" project near complete.

Threaded a piece of 3/16 O1 drill rod to 10-32
[Linked Image]

Than set up to shave it down to .160" (The spring chosen being of .162" I.D.)

[Linked Image]

I've had this traveling steady forever, it came with the lathe.
I do believe this is the first time I've used it. It works well, too.
[Linked Image]

A "tophat" brass bushing, .162" ID X .220" OD was spooled up, and dropped down into the rear of the housing, and another straight brass 'rider made up to ride on the '"Ejector Nut".
The pieces than assembled

[Linked Image]

All that remains are some final fitting and polishing, case hardening the ejector nut, and making up a proper retention screw (maybe I should leave the Hex nut spacer to give the piece a "tactical" look /) I reckon I'll file in a little "island" on the front face of the ejector nut, and checker it 40 LPI, prior to hardening that part. A recess to accept a little brass "button" will be drilled into it, too,.......so there's no steel to steel contact 'tween it and the barrel.

[Linked Image]

That new 11.5 MM cutter that Bristoe fired over will be making chips later today, I reckon.....

GTC

Great project guys and very informative,,can't wait to see the final results..
SUPERCALIFRAGILISTIC Greg! smile smile smile
Per plan, I caught the late afternoon light just right on the Mill Table, colleted, aligned and spun up the SUPERBLY sharp (thanks again, Bristoe !) 2 flute 11.5 Cutter. No "puzzy footing" around here, either, after "decking" the lower tang insert/repair piece, I grabbed the whole 1/4" nominal depth in one cut. As one can see, I used some very sophisticated fixturing and clamping technology. One centered pass was made after the initial one, and than the WIDTH was checked. a .009" offset on either side brought the cut out to a full desired width (wtf THAT is, I forget,..... .465", maybe ?)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks like the .010" offset will hit TIGHT tang width

[Linked Image]

The Buttstock was flopped over, and aligned with the central axis of this Galaxy, and the same basic stunt repeated, working off of calibrated eyeball, a shot of Schnapps, chased with a Moose Drool, and an invocation to the God of Chips and Sawdust.

This was the initial result, a hard push fit, no hammering. Looks like my conservative approach left a little extra thickness between the tangs. Better that than a sloppy rattle, I says.

[Linked Image]

I decided to run the job past "Quality Control", she can be a real Beotch about "missed print" sometimes. I doin't think she liked being bothered with this sorta' thing, this late in the day before a long weekend.

[Linked Image]

Thankfully, she signed off on it,

[Linked Image]

OKAY,.....at this point, the thing needs a fair bit of material removed from the tang slots, on the horizontal plane, e.g. the tapered horizontal mortise needs to be thinned. However, on the VERTICAL plane,the tang cuts are PERFECT,.....well aligned, and the desired .465" (or whatever) Rather than farting around trying to "Re-Index", FAIL, and mess up those somewhat EASILY obtained slots,....I drug out a .500" dovetail cutter, and relieved the CRAP out of the bottom of the tang slots, right on my original "Zero" on the Y axis. A little more room, in a critical area now exists for the minimal amount of acra-glas that will be used for the finish bed, with good "Wood to metal Fit" demonstrated
topside, where it counts.

[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/robbinmyers/Tcut9.jpg[/img]

At this point, it's time to vacuum off the Mill, .....call it a day. The frame, at this point needs to be finish inletted perhaps .100" further aft,.....and that will be accomplished with sharp hand tools and bedding black.

[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/robbinmyers/Tcut11.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/robbinmyers/Tcut10.jpg[/img]

Beautiful Gregg and I am much relieved to see Gracie smiling, I know that is the supreme seal of approval from a discriminating connoisseur of fine workmanship.

Bristoe, THANK YOU for your generous contribution as well Sir.

BTW Greg "You took it apart"? smile smile smile smile That fine redneck bushing/helicoil and all!!!!
As you well know,.....there's a SUBSTANTIAL amount of material to excavate in the lower quadrant,.......clearance for the mainspring, and such.

Re; The Bush / Helicoil,and loose link,.....are you gonna handle alla' that precision on your end ? Nothing really that bad going on there,...everything's eminently repairable.

Other Q:,......Had you already loosened all of the fasteners, or was the ease experienced in so doing attributable to the smelly snake oil you soaked the thing with ?

Neat project, ......I'm thinking that the Wood is WAY older than the frame,.....and it's kinda' neat marrying up material from different generations / eras.

GTC
Great pics of great work.

I also get a big kick out of your dog,...definitely a keeper.
definitely a keeper.

She cracks me up, .....on a daily, repeatable basis.

....getting more photogenic, less camera shy, too.

Once she detects a playful cheerful tone, she starts flashin' dem' ivories.

GTC

She appears to show good judgement and working knowledge of American acronyms. laugh
keep the pics coming Greg!
Do what ever ya want Greg, I was actually gonna us it AS IS till if and when it broke, then would see about doing some rebuilding. That is the reason I never took it apart, the screws were pretty tight before the dunk in said "snake oil". If you want I can send the barrel and some money.
Terry, PM sent.

The wood fitting is a "Campfire Christmas Gift",.....your money's no good here.

Yours in abiding curmudgeonry,

GTC
MEANER!

I was just kidding Greg, I forgot the smilie, my bad. smile smile
well, it didn't LOOK like some of the screws had been touched in a very long time.

The gorilla pizz WORKED,...they all freed up with minimal (if any) effort.

I guess anything that SMELLS that rank would have to work, in order to sell .

Later,

GTC
It be reasonable in price and since it works as a fair bore cleaner/lube I have found it to be a decent penetrate on stubborn parts.

I have some odds & ends of other internal pieces parts, some good files & stones and a small hobby gas welding rig. That and access to Carl's shop, I think I can get by. The wood work is however something I was never any good at, deemed in high school wood shop as a "World Class Wood Butcher".

Carl has a combo mill-lathe for doing some more precision metal work. He is the young man that I turned my "practice" over to when he came to town, a really talented gunsmith and nice young man that is showing potential of becoming a great curmudgeon as the only fool he suffers is me! smile smile smile

Gotta get the belt sander cleaned up and put on a new 60 grit belt for the finish work on that stock! smile smile smile
Gentleman,

Thanks so much for sharing the progress of your projects with The Campfire. Can't tell you how much I've enjoyed it. Forgive me for mixing thoughts and threads, but can't help but think that some of the video-playing youth are missing a lot of opportunities for mentoring.

Happy holidays to you all!

Bob
Gotta get the belt sander cleaned up and put on a new 60 grit belt for the finish work on that stock! smile smile smile

You are a sick, demented old pervert, for even THINKING that, .....much less putting it out here to torment me with.

OK,....I'm gonna' fire up the Jonsered, and a $29.00 Dremel Tool, and FINISH the inletting, if that's the direction this has to go.

I swear, ya' just can't get any respect.

wink grin blush

What's wrong with Dremels?
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Gentleman,

Thanks so much for sharing the progress of your projects with The Campfire. Can't tell you how much I've enjoyed it. Forgive me for mixing thoughts and threads, but can't help but think that some of the video-playing youth are missing a lot of opportunities for mentoring.

Happy holidays to you all!

Bob

Bob,......first light saw me chasing parts, for projects on the go, and forthcoming. Than delivered some quality home grown Garlic to my lady barbers. Than to the Lion's club flea market,....found some cordage ( 35' of 2500 lb Nylon Flat Braid), and some tree wrap. Scored 12 cans of ground marking paint for the range ( $10.00)

Dashed home to meet a guy in from out of town, and get his machining project lined out.

A city councilman called , and showed up with a Cast Iron exhaust repair job, which got turned right around (it's probably back on the car by now). While we were pre-heating the prepped iron,....a Young fella whose building his first born's first bike showed up with a custom triple tree job,....he'll be back tomorrow for some brainstorming, Than I tried to repair a=n almost functional , collector grade Colt Lightning. mad mad mad Jeez I HATE those things,....

Somewhere along the line, I lowered the little "Bug" generator we use at the range off the table, and fired it up after a complete service.

This would subtend to a more or less NORMAL day around here. No gripe or whine purveyed ,.....I LIKE being this busy.

I am 66 years young,.......WTF are the younger folks that are going to pick up this trades legacy dittos, Mister frown

GTC

Than I tried to repair a=n almost functional , collector grade Colt Lightning. mad mad mad Jeez I HATE those things,....

GTC

I got pretty good on them things till my hands got so stiff, they are buggers to work on and get timed right.

BTW if you have trouble with that Dremel I can loan ya an old Ford flex drive! smile smile smile
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
What's wrong with Dremels?

Nothing , in and of itself,

The greater majority of spastic retards that damage fine arms with em' should have been drowned at birth, though.

I'm a Foredom Tool user / abuser, myself.

FILES and STONES,........if you can't get there with them, you need something BIGGER that a Dremel Tool.

GTC

WTF are the younger folks that are going to pick up this trades legacy dittos, Mister frown

GTC

They don't exist.

It's caused me to alter my resume'.

I just send a message that says, "I've been standing in front of a Bridgeport since '78."

Then give my name and number.

If that's not enough of a resume', they're not somebody I want to work for anyway.
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
You folks with real talent and ability here around the fire gripe me.

Seriously though, I like where this project is going.

Me too. While my job is demanding in many other ways, when it comes mechanical stuff, or like this, I'd make Red Green look like a down right genius.

Very nice Crossfire and T Lee.

I just send a message that says, "I've been standing in front of a Bridgeport since '78."

Then give my name and number.

If that's not enough of a resume', they're not somebody I want to work for anyway.

I like that approach.

Paul

FILES and STONES,........if you can't get there with them, you need something BIGGER that a Dremel Tool.

GTC

AMEN Brother, amen.
pics?
Was joking Greg. But if you know anyone wanting me to autograph their hogleg I'll give it a whirl. laugh
Guess I was waiting for the right day, and the mood to strike. Finish inletting gets me lost in time,......and wondering where it went. As much by luck as any good management ( maybe with help from a "MK 1 Calibrated Eyeball) The the upper and lower tangs were well within .125" of the rear of their respective mortises, and all one had to do was attack the Frame Tenon area with a scanty and simple compliment of tools. In this pic (after maybe 10 fit ups/cuts) it's just starting to look defined, and emerge from what was a rough, belt sanded flat face.

[Linked Image]

The light's a little weird in this pic for seeing the bedding black calling out high spots, as the frame is drifted aft into it's final bed, a whisker at a time.
This,......
*Lightly coat frame with Bedding Black ("Kallispel Kokapeli")
*Seat, lightly tap frame into bed
*Gently pull frame from it's bed.
*Scrape, chisel, gouge off high spots delineated by black
*Repeat
*Repeat
*Repeat
*Repeat
*Repeat .........etc.(on this particular stunt, maybe 30-40 times, max.)

The Frame Tenon is now well defined, and the rear of both the lower and upper tangs are making contact with the rear of their respective mortises.

[Linked Image]

I've spent a solid 3 days doing this on a "High End" job,....And this work (for me) has a really addictive quality. That said,it's no secret that this is a "repair" and what's getting built is not going into the NRA Museum, or the Smithsonian,.....so after a coupla' hours max, I'm pretty happy with this product here,and am pretty sure Terry will be too.

[Linked Image]

Sundown approaches and a raw cold wind is up, I gotta go bead blast this frame, and get it set in on it's first squirt of acraglas, after a quick beer break.

[Linked Image]

GTC

Greg, my hat is off to you on that. Very nicely done!

Dan
DAMN! that is fantastic and WAY out of my league.
Pretty work. Somebody will be enjoying that for a long time.
Damn betcha and then family after the current owner passes on.
So, REMEMBER that these are cast actions. For reference, pull the water pump off an old Chevy, and check to internal finish on the water jackets. It's actually BETTER than the internals on a 1915 Stevens favorite. In this pic, the internal companion surfaces that will engage the Butt Stock Tenon have been viciously attacked with a Foredom Tool driven stone, and the tangs have been abused with a file. Basically, we're following old Leonard's directions about avoiding "maechanical lock' here, that's all.

[Linked Image]

Just about froze my AZZ off bead blasting the critical areas of the frame / tangs,.....there's a bad storm rolling through.

[Linked Image]

Warmed a bit, the frame is SLATHERED with Brownells "Blue Schidt" (release compound). I use the alcohol based stuff, their water based SUCKS. Probably formulated in [bleep]' California to protect some goddam gay bar from fumes,....

[Linked Image]

Here's a last look at a well executed "REPAIR", in the raw, that will last as long as the original old and tired pieces, ....maybe longer. The wrist of this stock is VERY stout, and strong now.

[Linked Image]

First phase of the acra-glas bedding job, the front tenon, and the lower tang. Note that this is not "Gel",.....it's the liquid, applied with patience ( and better saturation, and kinda' smooged around in conservative fashion, right to the point that it's starting to "Flip".)

[Linked Image]

At the point where some thickening is starting to become evident, the frame is laid into it's bed.

[Linked Image]

I've gotta' fix some supper, and do a bit of other writing. Before turning in, I'll check on the "set" the bedding is taking,....but probably won't bother it 'til morn. When doing a multiple pour bedding job, it's nice (and one hell of a lot easier) to catch it at the point where one can trim with a razor knife, versus a file.

In deference to my close brush with hypothermia, while beading this relic,....I've treated myself with a judicious application of Jim Beam "Devil's Cut". I'm sure that a certain Australian cretin will nod his head in righteous indignation.
"Crossy has climbed back into his bottle". Hey, f*ck you, JStuart

Hey,....[bleep] a bunch of smarmey, holier than thou Tories, and their [bleep] up chithole's "laws", too.

GTC

Showers and cold wind over here. Good night to sip a toddy and reflect on a day's work well done. I will raise a toast to you, bud. See you in a few weeks.
I was gonna' reduce the O.D. of the butt plate, and completely bead the frame,.......

Instead I acted like a lazy jam-tart,.....and just got far enough along to get where things need to be.
This will go really fast now, the rest of the bedding and such,....when the weather breaks.

Meanwhile I can be mounting Terry's magnetic force displacement, logarythmically oriented, plasma difusing optical sight.

This "Devil's Cut" is fair sipping Whiskey, i'd recommend it highly.

Lookin' forward to seeing you, too, Old Timer.
Thanks for taking us along on this project! Have been running back and forth from the puter to the football game to read the updates.
It sure is amazing what a fellow with patience and talent can do. A rarity these days. Nice work, sir!
Damn betcha and then family after the current owner passes on.

HolyHellFire, how have I missed this thread? wonderful work Cross, and a big congrats to ya "T", beautiful. smile

Gunner
Originally Posted by oulufinn
It sure is amazing what a fellow with patience and talent can do. A rarity these days. Nice work, sir!

AMEN, and to be the recipient of such workmanship is incredible! I will never be able to properly repay you Sir.
Something else ain't it?
Something else ain't it?

Yessir, and that little rifle will be a barge load of fun.

Gunner
There needs to be more threads like this here instead of the other BS..

that being said I surely like to see people with machining skills at work at is it like artwork to me..and I don't have an artistic skill in my body. frown
Originally Posted by oulufinn

AMEN, and to be the recipient of such workmanship is incredible! I will never be able to properly repay you Sir.

Terry, having you around this place to guide, steer, coach, and toss out a steady barrage of good humor is MORE than enough "payment".

GTC
Cold out there this AM. Once the shop was warmed up a bit, I popped the frame loose, and cleaned things up a bit

[Linked Image]

There's a LOT of "beef" to play with on this stock, it's going to finish out nicely. Just beading the frame made a heck of a difference, too. This snow storm's got the Air compressor blowing moisture, so I'll have to hold off on any further beading 'til it warms and dries up a bit.

[Linked Image]

The Lower Tang is all bedded in at it's tail, and a pretty good amount of wood will have to be milled away above the front of it, to clear the hammer spring strut.

[Linked Image]

I'm headed back out to drizzle a little Acraglas in through the Upper Tang Screw hole, and get it properly situated /supported, prior to drilling the stock, and milling that recess in

[Linked Image]
Keep them pics coming! smile and whaddaya mean snow? you are close to the equator wink
Humph!,...I wish I was getting to work on fun stuff.

The work at the shop lately has been particularly uninspiring.
,...and that's lookin' real good.

I'd have one that pretty reamed to .22 mag.
That magazine tube follower you sent over is a piece of JEWELRY !

Waking up these old 'Brown Guns' is most always pretty rewarding.

There's a LOT of young men out there now whose first rifles have been across my bench,.......and more on the way.

As the New Year unfolds, I'll get started on Roger's New Grandson's Stevens Model 44, ......

I dunno,.....

These old cast actions really thrive on standard velocity ammo, and lower pressures. Start feeding em' a steady diet of 'Mini-Mags', 'Velocitors', and other HP stuff, and the links and pins batter out,....pretty soon one see's 'Lever droop',....

Remember, Smokeless was the new kid on the block when they were new.

GTC
That magazine tube follower you sent over is a piece of JEWELRY !

It was your suggestion that made me think to turn one out of bronze.

I turned a couple out of stainless before the bronze one.

I hope you got an old 336 to stick it in.
One of our Buffalo League shooters needs one, I think.

If it won't fit my rasty old .44 carbine,it'll make a nice gift for him, I reckon.

If it fits, I'll give him my old one.

Those plastic things are a bloody disgrace!

GTC
Sounds like a good idea.

It'd been rattlin' around in my tool chest for long enough.

I already have one I re-chambered to .22 Mag, this one is for shooting .22 LR like I did as a kid. A time machine of sorts for a nostalgic old fart.
If I ever do another one I am thinking .32 S&W Long powered by BP.
I sure like my little Hopkins and Allen in .25-20 Win.

GTC
I bet you do Sir.
I sure like my little Hopkins and Allen in .25-20 Win.

GTC

As mentioned ad nauseum,.. .310 Cadets are my rook rifle of choice.
"ChesterPulley" dropped by late this AM with some belated (welcomed nonetheless)'New Year's Cheer". We shot some fine breeze while I got down to the short strokes on this improvisational stocking job. Started out fitting some original Winchester High Wall Tang screws top and bottom, than set up in the mill.

[Linked Image]

An angled 3/8" cut was trammed into the foward lower tang area, to clear the coil spring hammer strut.

[Linked Image]

Here I've mocked the strut up with tape so's you can get an idea WTH I'm going on about. The new roughed clearance cut's visible on the LHS of the pic. Some hand scraping or a little chiseling may be called for when the Florida crew final assembles this beast.

[Linked Image]

As promised the Butt Plate got a ride on the belt sander, and a bit of filing to leave the wood 'proud", e.g. at a dimension finding the metal just BELOW the level of the wood,....this will really ease the final finishing and profiling steps ahead.

[Linked Image]

A quick swipe with the jitterbug sander sees these stocks ready to pack up and ship

[Linked Image]

After looking at fore end at some length, have determined that it would be better for it's shimming / final fitting take place over in Florida, once the barrel's fitted and headspaced properly, on a restored action. Terry and his guys will get alla' that handled admirably, I'm sure.

That's fine work,...everything about it.

,...lookin' forward to seeing the whole rifle.
Well I have some high standards to live up to here. Hope I am still up to it.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU SIR.
Me too,.....Spring comes early where Terry lives, I reckon by than he'll have it afield.

GTC
Oh, Pshaw,.....

Chesterpully and I had a good look at the action and it's guts, T.

The original 12-32 breech block pivot pin / screw is frapped, as is the threaded hole in the frame that receives it. If the ears on the block are bored / reamed to .251 to .252" (they're damned near worn that big already), the left side of the frame can be bored to same, and the wallowed out right hand side tapped to 1/4-28. A common Allen bolt (modified / slotted) can than become the new pin / screw.
The Link, and it's pins will be requiring some TLC, as well.

Essentially this is a GREAT piece of raw material, compared to some I've woken up.

GTC
I like the new avatar Terry, very...ummm...threatening.

Cross'- thanks for the lesson in "machining concepts applied to woodwork" and setup on the fly. Makes me feel silly for having bought a router bit or two.

I still think we should've test fired it with one of those old barrel stubs and a bicycle tube to power the hammer. grin
Originally Posted by chesterpulley
I like the new avatar Terry, very...ummm...threatening.

Cross'- thanks for the lesson in "machining concepts applied to woodwork" and setup on the fly. Makes me feel silly for having bought a router bit or two.

I still think we should've test fired it with one of those old barrel stubs and a bicycle tube to power the hammer. grin

That setup was a lot stouter than it appeared, once everything was tightened down. Regardless, note that multiple LIGHT cuts brought the job home. That would not have been a very Skookum place to have any sorta' "Crash". Thank you for the good company, and dialogue.
A fun thread to revisit,.......Crossfireoops working on an old Stevens .22 for TLEE.

Bumped to the top just for a good read.
Tales from days gone by.
I remember when Cross did this it was a cool project, some real talent.

Pretty neat the pictures are still there. I miss the old man, had some good conversations with him.
I sure miss him. He was one of my favorite guys here...or about anywhere.
Why is Tlee never around anymore, he was a real gentleman, I miss his postings...well except for the cat posts. smile
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Why is Tlee never around anymore, he was a real gentleman, I miss his postings...well except for the cat posts. smile

He got sick and tired of the dumb asses. He is doing well though, I think he's up to 30 cats now......... wink
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Barkoff

He got sick and tired of the dumb asses. He is doing well though, I think he's up to 30 cats now......... wink

Yep, paddler and northman and other trolls got to him.
Ol' Cross had a way with phrases. A true old schooler..
The pictures won't focus on my pad for some reason.
My favorite shooter is a Favorite Cross “Woke” up shortly after T’s.

I think we got a bit cross once or twice on the phone. He could be a bit curmudgeonly.
I threatened to get on a plane, wish I had. Would of been nice to shake his hand and spend a few.

Godspeed to ya, Greg.
© 24hourcampfire