Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
11.5X.03937=.4527

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I understood the first time Sir, I really did, thus the smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Just in ,.......we're pushing hard to get ahead of an advancing front of colder weather, and (hopefully) rain. Will try to get a pic or two before Sundown,....hell, it IS Sundown.

Terry, looks like my eye was good. Abutted to just shy of the original wrist face of the 44 stock, the Favorite action will come in at a good standard 13" LOP in the "gut " of the crescent BP. There will be LOTS of extra wood to sculpt into someting pretty daoggone unique, and graceful.

Dunno what "G96" is, but after a 1/2 hour soaking in GASOLINE, and air drying, I can still smell the stuff. Good frame / action, although there's something wierd going on with the block screw......we'll see.

I gotta dig out some pics of a Sharps #1 Heavy octagon ( relined to .22 LR), with a tiny # 4 Roller action hanging off it's rather large butt,.....thery're probably around somewhere.

Later

GTC

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by T LEE
I understood the first time Sir, I really did, thus the smile smile

oh,..I know,..I just took the opportunity to show how close it was to what cross was looking for in case he didn't have a calculator handy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
G96 gun treatment is what I use to clean and protect my iron. NEVER doubted your "eye" for a second Sir. Welded the D&T on the barrel today, kinda. smile That shim is taking the place of stripped threads me thinks, that is why I didn't futz with it.

[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

IC B2

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I like that G96 stuff,works good and doesn't gum up at -25. That's about all I can add to this thread, so carry on, I'm really enjoyin this.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Hey Hoser. ......take off, Eh ?

.......Not much to report here,.....Here's a coupla' pics of Terry's Favorite frame/action superimosed over the mended 44 stock it'll wear when complete.

The mended 44 stock has already undergone SEVERAL "Sanding & Refinishing" episodes along it's trail so far. I'm GLAD it isn't any more "Scant",......'cuz there's obviously just enough wood left to accomodate the notably smaller Favorite action. The wrist is rock solid, and the stock "Rings" when struck now, there's some damned decent old wood in the thing (albeit from several different directions). That's not a "crack" running lengthways up the thing, either,.....it's an old oil stain,....oil and iron oxides that wept out and drizzled down the left side of the thing, while it sat in a corner of some barn.

.....you could wonder,....some recently enlisted young fellow, leaving for Europe, or the Pacific ?

So much for quilting old rifle stocks back together, with other old rifle's wood, this evening.

GTC

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MAN OH MAN! That is gonna be SO great to shoot.

Old cat turd!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Bristoe's sending over the end mill needed for the tang mortises

THANKS, B !

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TOO COOL, THANK YOU BRISTOE!!!!!

This joint is just the best bunch on the 'net.

Old cat turd!

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
no sweat,....I got a bushel basket of 'em

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Terry, I have one of those chambered for the venerable .25-20 SS. It's probably in 95%+ condition externally with a small split in the forearm. All colors are good, as is the bore. I mounted a MVA Schuetzen verier on it and anticipate poppin' some caps in late January after some other projects are wrapped up. Early pic below pre-vernier installation.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is a sweet looking rifle DD.

I have a Savage 72, the remake from back in the 1970's of the Favorite that they called "Crackshot". (this is all steel not like the current cast & MIM junkers they currently offer) that I re-chambered to .22WMR. Also an original Remington #4 Rolling block in .22 LR. This little fellow will round out my single shot rimfire battery quite nicely.

Old cat turd!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
My H&A in .25-20 Win. will kick that old pelter's azz. wink

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Another "Bent, Broken, and Busted" arm made it's way into my fold, an early Uberti "Open Top" chambered in .45 LC. apparently Colt actually BUILT these things for a very brief period ?
A "re-enactors piece", the thing's fired more shots on Historic Tombstone's Allen Street than the Earps, Clantons, and other assorted gazoonies ever DREAMT of lighting off.

I've got the base pin and barrel pointing more or less back in the right direction eek , and some final slicking up will see the action / timing satisfactory.

It had a rather small grip on it, I found a larger set of '59 percussion grips (I THINK that's what they are) and added about .450" to the depth of the brass grip frame. Had to remove a bunch of brass elsewhere, too. At least now a guy'll be able to hang onto the thing with full up BP loads. The Ejector rod Housing, and all of it's guts are missing (probably in the interest of "Quick Draw". An old salvage Marlin "Glenfield" barrel gave it's all for this cause this afternoon, and will become the new ejector rod housing.
[Linked Image]
Interesting setup, the entire lash-up apparently held on with one stout screw, transverse through the lower barrel bolster, hole for same visible here.
[Linked Image]
And here with the .0295" lug fitted, still needing to be drilled / tapped.
[Linked Image]

The New ejector rod housing will be bored out to .310" I.D., before the slot for the nut's milled in. The "Lug" will be nested into a radiused cut into the housing, if I can get the sucker close enough, I'll silver braze it. Dunno', I may just cheat and TIG it.

I've not been able to find another complete gun to study, cogitate on. If anybody has one of these things , I could REALLY use a pic or two of the geometry of the slot in which the "Ejector Rod Nut" rides in, in it's fore and aft tram. I THINK the slot rakes off at a slight angle for about 3/4" up at the muzzle end, but am not real certain. Any savvy available regarding this ejector set up is welcomed.

Greg

Last edited by crossfireoops; 12/11/12.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Back when I had my shop a guy dropped in with some kind of brass framed cap and ball 6 shooter.

Evidently, the practice of globbin' Crisco on top of the loaded chambers had escaped his attention and he had experienced a chainfire.

First time I had even seen a barrel leaded on the *outside*,..and the recoil of all 6 chambers going off at once had forced the cylinder rearward enough to make an impression in the brass frame.

He asked if I could fix it.

I pointed to the trash can.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This one here is a QUALITY gun,......just been rode a lil' hard is all.

Slicked up, and kept in the BP pressure/ velocity realm, I think it'll be just fine.

Some of that "Dark Valley in Italy" , off-brand stuff is pretty awful, and nothing I want pressured up in my mitt.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
My H&A in .25-20 Win. will kick that old pelter's azz. wink

GTC

Yer funny! laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
This one here is a QUALITY gun,......just been rode a lil' hard is all.

Slicked up, and kept in the BP pressure/ velocity realm, I think it'll be just fine.

Some of that "Dark Valley in Italy" , off-brand stuff is pretty awful, and nothing I want pressured up in my mitt.

GTC

Oh,..I wasn't making a comment on your revolver,....just revisiting a thought that it brought to mind.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Ya vell, let me ban tellin yooo,

SVEN installed a custom lever on this rifle, and it's WAY prettier than yours !

[Linked Image]

This old thing's so ugly it's beautiful, and I'll have to get a pick of the homemade (and NOT bad) Oak buttstock, and the "custom"
steel buttplate......it's a real genuWINE piece of American hobby gunsmithing at it's funkier (but FUNCTIONAL) level.

It's a re-line (also a bit funky), wears an old Lyman Alaskan.

Gotta' find a mold, somewhen, the little stinker really runs well.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 12/11/12.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1minute, 160user, 1234, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 63 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,788
Posts18,515,974
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.