Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Than I tried to repair a=n almost functional , collector grade Colt Lightning. mad mad mad Jeez I HATE those things,....

GTC

I got pretty good on them things till my hands got so stiff, they are buggers to work on and get timed right.

BTW if you have trouble with that Dremel I can loan ya an old Ford flex drive! smile smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
What's wrong with Dremels?

Nothing , in and of itself,

The greater majority of spastic retards that damage fine arms with em' should have been drowned at birth, though.

I'm a Foredom Tool user / abuser, myself.

FILES and STONES,........if you can't get there with them, you need something BIGGER that a Dremel Tool.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
WTF are the younger folks that are going to pick up this trades legacy dittos, Mister frown

GTC

They don't exist.

It's caused me to alter my resume'.

I just send a message that says, "I've been standing in front of a Bridgeport since '78."

Then give my name and number.

If that's not enough of a resume', they're not somebody I want to work for anyway.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
You folks with real talent and ability here around the fire gripe me.

Seriously though, I like where this project is going.

Me too. While my job is demanding in many other ways, when it comes mechanical stuff, or like this, I'd make Red Green look like a down right genius.

Very nice Crossfire and T Lee.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I just send a message that says, "I've been standing in front of a Bridgeport since '78."

Then give my name and number.

If that's not enough of a resume', they're not somebody I want to work for anyway.

I like that approach.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

FILES and STONES,........if you can't get there with them, you need something BIGGER that a Dremel Tool.

GTC

AMEN Brother, amen.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
pics?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was joking Greg. But if you know anyone wanting me to autograph their hogleg I'll give it a whirl. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Guess I was waiting for the right day, and the mood to strike. Finish inletting gets me lost in time,......and wondering where it went. As much by luck as any good management ( maybe with help from a "MK 1 Calibrated Eyeball) The the upper and lower tangs were well within .125" of the rear of their respective mortises, and all one had to do was attack the Frame Tenon area with a scanty and simple compliment of tools. In this pic (after maybe 10 fit ups/cuts) it's just starting to look defined, and emerge from what was a rough, belt sanded flat face.

[Linked Image]

The light's a little weird in this pic for seeing the bedding black calling out high spots, as the frame is drifted aft into it's final bed, a whisker at a time.
This,......
*Lightly coat frame with Bedding Black ("Kallispel Kokapeli")
*Seat, lightly tap frame into bed
*Gently pull frame from it's bed.
*Scrape, chisel, gouge off high spots delineated by black
*Repeat
*Repeat
*Repeat
*Repeat
*Repeat .........etc.(on this particular stunt, maybe 30-40 times, max.)

The Frame Tenon is now well defined, and the rear of both the lower and upper tangs are making contact with the rear of their respective mortises.

[Linked Image]

I've spent a solid 3 days doing this on a "High End" job,....And this work (for me) has a really addictive quality. That said,it's no secret that this is a "repair" and what's getting built is not going into the NRA Museum, or the Smithsonian,.....so after a coupla' hours max, I'm pretty happy with this product here,and am pretty sure Terry will be too.

[Linked Image]

Sundown approaches and a raw cold wind is up, I gotta go bead blast this frame, and get it set in on it's first squirt of acraglas, after a quick beer break.

[Linked Image]

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 12/30/12.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Greg, my hat is off to you on that. Very nicely done!

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
DAMN! that is fantastic and WAY out of my league.

Old cat turd!

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Pretty work. Somebody will be enjoying that for a long time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Damn betcha and then family after the current owner passes on.

Old cat turd!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
So, REMEMBER that these are cast actions. For reference, pull the water pump off an old Chevy, and check to internal finish on the water jackets. It's actually BETTER than the internals on a 1915 Stevens favorite. In this pic, the internal companion surfaces that will engage the Butt Stock Tenon have been viciously attacked with a Foredom Tool driven stone, and the tangs have been abused with a file. Basically, we're following old Leonard's directions about avoiding "maechanical lock' here, that's all.

[Linked Image]

Just about froze my AZZ off bead blasting the critical areas of the frame / tangs,.....there's a bad storm rolling through.

[Linked Image]

Warmed a bit, the frame is SLATHERED with Brownells "Blue Schidt" (release compound). I use the alcohol based stuff, their water based SUCKS. Probably formulated in [bleep]' California to protect some goddam gay bar from fumes,....

[Linked Image]

Here's a last look at a well executed "REPAIR", in the raw, that will last as long as the original old and tired pieces, ....maybe longer. The wrist of this stock is VERY stout, and strong now.

[Linked Image]

First phase of the acra-glas bedding job, the front tenon, and the lower tang. Note that this is not "Gel",.....it's the liquid, applied with patience ( and better saturation, and kinda' smooged around in conservative fashion, right to the point that it's starting to "Flip".)

[Linked Image]

At the point where some thickening is starting to become evident, the frame is laid into it's bed.

[Linked Image]

I've gotta' fix some supper, and do a bit of other writing. Before turning in, I'll check on the "set" the bedding is taking,....but probably won't bother it 'til morn. When doing a multiple pour bedding job, it's nice (and one hell of a lot easier) to catch it at the point where one can trim with a razor knife, versus a file.

In deference to my close brush with hypothermia, while beading this relic,....I've treated myself with a judicious application of Jim Beam "Devil's Cut". I'm sure that a certain Australian cretin will nod his head in righteous indignation.
"Crossy has climbed back into his bottle". Hey, f*ck you, JStuart

Hey,....[bleep] a bunch of smarmey, holier than thou Tories, and their [bleep] up chithole's "laws", too.

GTC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Showers and cold wind over here. Good night to sip a toddy and reflect on a day's work well done. I will raise a toast to you, bud. See you in a few weeks.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I was gonna' reduce the O.D. of the butt plate, and completely bead the frame,.......

Instead I acted like a lazy jam-tart,.....and just got far enough along to get where things need to be.
This will go really fast now, the rest of the bedding and such,....when the weather breaks.

Meanwhile I can be mounting Terry's magnetic force displacement, logarythmically oriented, plasma difusing optical sight.

This "Devil's Cut" is fair sipping Whiskey, i'd recommend it highly.

Lookin' forward to seeing you, too, Old Timer.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Thanks for taking us along on this project! Have been running back and forth from the puter to the football game to read the updates.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
It sure is amazing what a fellow with patience and talent can do. A rarity these days. Nice work, sir!

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by T LEE
Damn betcha and then family after the current owner passes on.

HolyHellFire, how have I missed this thread? wonderful work Cross, and a big congrats to ya "T", beautiful. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by oulufinn
It sure is amazing what a fellow with patience and talent can do. A rarity these days. Nice work, sir!

AMEN, and to be the recipient of such workmanship is incredible! I will never be able to properly repay you Sir.

Old cat turd!

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

452 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 10ring1, 46 invisible), 2,750 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,756
Posts18,514,833
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.