-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great thread gentlemen...we need more like this. Enjoying it very much.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Ya vell, let me ban tellin yooo,

SVEN installed a custom lever on this rifle, and it's WAY prettier than yours !

[Linked Image]

This old thing's so ugly it's beautiful, and I'll have to get a pick of the homemade (and NOT bad) Oak buttstock, and the "custom"
steel buttplate......it's a real genuWINE piece of American hobby gunsmithing at it's funkier (but FUNCTIONAL) level.

It's a re-line (also a bit funky), wears an old Lyman Alaskan.

Gotta' find a mold, somewhen, the little stinker really runs well.

GTC

Mein Gott! Vat a lofly piece ov eengineering dot es!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This one here is a QUALITY gun,......just been rode a lil' hard is all.

Slicked up, and kept in the BP pressure/ velocity realm, I think it'll be just fine.

Some of that "Dark Valley in Italy" , off-brand stuff is pretty awful, and nothing I want pressured up in my mitt.

GTC

Great info, as usual smile I bought a Uberti Walker replica a couple months ago, haven't shot it yet. 20 years ago I had one, and it shot quite well with the historic powder charge of 60 grains of FFFg, at least until the barrel leaded. With this new one came a manual, so I pull it out, and find they recommend 30 grains max. Hmmm...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The little slot up forward is visible in that drawing. I'd sure like to see what that slot looks like, viewed form below. There's got to be some sorta' angular geometry that roll the ejector "Rod Nut" up into a tucked away position against the barrel, so as to prevent it moving when being holstered ?

Oh well, it took 6 months to chase down a drawing of a Rifle Musket sight once,.......wound up getting em' from The Tower Of London Archive........This'll be a wee bit easier, I'd venture.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Great info, as usual smile I bought a Uberti Walker replica a couple months ago, haven't shot it yet. 20 years ago I had one, and it shot quite well with the historic powder charge of 60 grains of FFFg, at least until the barrel leaded. With this new one came a manual, so I pull it out, and find they recommend 30 grains max. Hmmm...

I'd be interested in seeing whether they reduced the chamber capacity in those later Walker replica's.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Glad to see you so heavily into the gun work again compadre, these threads are good chit. I gotta say though, that fancy lever has nothing on spoonhandle.

I'll have to take another (more recent) look at Keith's Sixguns, Management of the Cap and Ball Sixgun.
There's alot of good info in there. Before he was the handloader we know today Keith spent a lot of time behind 36 Navys and Dragoons, seems to have known his stuff pretty well there too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here is a batch of pictures of one for sale on Gunauction.com it is here in town, maybe I can get some measurements.

http://classic.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=11583970

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Bingo !

Not "Replicating" anything here, .....that sure will get me pretty close, though.

The price of the factory parts (all on "back order") is a non-starter,.....I'll make em'.

Thanks T !

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'd be interested in seeing whether they reduced the chamber capacity in those later Walker replica's.

Good point, I'll check it tonight & advise.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Used a Redman's PILOTED "lINER DRILL" TO BORE THE NEW EJECTOR HOUSING OUT TO .310" i.d. (LEAVING A .O50" WALL)about 1.5" of the original .22 bore was left in the after section as a rod guide, and a "Seat" for the spring.
[Linked Image]
The little "Lug" was a PITA to spool up AND FIT.
[Linked Image]
I left a LOT more beef on mine, versus the factory setup pictured in that link Terry kindly posted.
[Linked Image]
Windy here,.....and I've not set up a TIG booth (yet),retreated out of the gale into a conex and demonstrated that a wicker bar stool is NOT a 1/2 ton welding bench. I HAVE done nicer work.
[Linked Image]
End result is looking 'bout like this
[Linked Image]

This whole setup, is, by original design, pretty hokey,.....I'm probably going to fit a threaded lug into the barrel up on the front, as was done on the '73s, and use it to keep the ejector shroud from flopping around in resonance to the barrel, and will change the rod / rod slot arrangement around to something closer to a Ruger, tucking the slot WAY in under the barrel out of harm's way. I don't believe they use ANY locking notches cut into the slot, either. I'll figure and fit just enough rod travel to get the cases clear, and NO MORE. At that point one will know where to cut the housing off with room for a Winchester style mag plug to hold all the guts in.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That should work just fine cross, your skills are amazing Sir.

Old cat turd!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T LEE

Not really, and they should not be viewed in that glorified context.
I'd say that one time they were NOT. Just about ANY small town garage had a lathe / mill setup, and a bit of welding gear and a LARGE population of AMERICAN "Mechanics" were all capable of cobbling up small parts at the drop of a hat.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I used to rebuild starters, generators and carburetors as a normal course amigo, but times have changed and most "mechanics" today are parts swappers after a computer tells em which one.

It was nothing to solder up a leaking radiator or heater core, rivet new linings on brake shoes....... ah hell, I could go on for pages but you know what I am talking about.

Now days my hands don't work like they used to and my "Mark I Eyeball" ain't even "close enough" anymore.

Old cat turd!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Not really, and they should not be viewed in that glorified context.
I'd say that one time they were NOT. Just about ANY small town garage had a lathe / mill setup, and a bit of welding gear and a LARGE population of AMERICAN "Mechanics" were all capable of cobbling up small parts at the drop of a hat.

Is good for America. I break, you fix. Taco Viva!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I used to rebuild starters, generators and carburetors as a normal course amigo, but times have changed and most "mechanics" today are parts swappers after a computer tells em which one.

It was nothing to solder up a leaking radiator or heater core, rivet new linings on brake shoes....... ah hell, I could go on for pages but you know what I am talking about.

Now days my hands don't work like they used to and my "Mark I Eyeball" ain't even "close enough" anymore.

Terry - parts seem NOT to be available anymore, only "assemblies" (at whatever cost the consumer can be stuck with)!

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tell me about it, that is because it is easier to just replace the whole thing, the "throwaway society" rears it's ugly head.

There is a ton of Colt single and double action revolvers running around my area with "made by TL" parts in em as well many varied and sundry other makes both familiar and obscure. Wish I could still do it and had the equipment to do it with but that ain't gonna happen. Thank God I have friends like Greg!!!!!!!

Old cat turd!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thank God I have friends like Greg!!!!!!!

That, there, is the quote of the year!

Quite a quote, considering he won "Champion Campfire Curmudgeon" by a landslide! grin

Thanks again, Greg, for sharing your skills and talents!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Weather (for here) has gone pretty foul, so I've been keeping the heat on in, and fully inhabiting my little shop,......a good sanity break, in these, our troubled and tormented times.

Working on this formerly derelict Uberti "Open Top".......

I got started on the "Cam Slot" in the new ejector housing, and was done with it before it dawned that I'd not gotten pics,.....Oh well.

Some material left from another job was offset four jaw chucked, centered,turned to a .310 "spud", and than punched with a #21 Hole. The piece (and some "Lagniappe") was than parted off.

[Linked Image]

That was parted off, and checked for "Print",....yup, that'll fly

[Linked Image]

The part was than 3 jaw chucked, and another "spud" carved in

[Linked Image]

Some hog milling stripped off the larger diameter, and the piece was than tapped 10-32 (while there's still something to get a hold of)

[Linked Image]

At this point, the part's staring to look pretty SMALL, and is WAY harder to grab in the vice,......one has to move a LOT slower, and be doggone sure of his moves. Grabbing a German Beer seemed to be a good move. If you haven't tried this particular beer, I encourage you to do so.

[Linked Image]

The "Ejector Nut" (that's what Colt called it) is now tramming (albeit very tight, and bound) in it's cam slot in the ejector housing. That would seem to be about enough fun for this day.

[Linked Image]

Hope that 11.5 end mill blows into Dodge, muy Pronto,....I'll steer this thread back onto Terry's Stevens.

Best Regards,

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is just as good Cross, fine job on the old shooter Sir.

Old cat turd!

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 35, AceBall, achlupsa, Akhutr, 11 invisible), 1,685 guests, and 768 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,970
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.