-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well I paid ten bucks for the Stevens............

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Yesterday evening, I lacked decent LIGHT in the shop, so I decided to wait on fitting those tangs. I did "tweeak' the top tang just a whisker (cold, in a stout vice),....adding another laminate should not be required.Decided to get this "open Top" project near complete.

Threaded a piece of 3/16 O1 drill rod to 10-32
[Linked Image]

Than set up to shave it down to .160" (The spring chosen being of .162" I.D.)

[Linked Image]

I've had this traveling steady forever, it came with the lathe.
I do believe this is the first time I've used it. It works well, too.
[Linked Image]

A "tophat" brass bushing, .162" ID X .220" OD was spooled up, and dropped down into the rear of the housing, and another straight brass 'rider made up to ride on the '"Ejector Nut".
The pieces than assembled

[Linked Image]

All that remains are some final fitting and polishing, case hardening the ejector nut, and making up a proper retention screw (maybe I should leave the Hex nut spacer to give the piece a "tactical" look /) I reckon I'll file in a little "island" on the front face of the ejector nut, and checker it 40 LPI, prior to hardening that part. A recess to accept a little brass "button" will be drilled into it, too,.......so there's no steel to steel contact 'tween it and the barrel.

[Linked Image]

That new 11.5 MM cutter that Bristoe fired over will be making chips later today, I reckon.....

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great project guys and very informative,,can't wait to see the final results..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SUPERCALIFRAGILISTIC Greg! smile smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Per plan, I caught the late afternoon light just right on the Mill Table, colleted, aligned and spun up the SUPERBLY sharp (thanks again, Bristoe !) 2 flute 11.5 Cutter. No "puzzy footing" around here, either, after "decking" the lower tang insert/repair piece, I grabbed the whole 1/4" nominal depth in one cut. As one can see, I used some very sophisticated fixturing and clamping technology. One centered pass was made after the initial one, and than the WIDTH was checked. a .009" offset on either side brought the cut out to a full desired width (wtf THAT is, I forget,..... .465", maybe ?)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks like the .010" offset will hit TIGHT tang width

[Linked Image]

The Buttstock was flopped over, and aligned with the central axis of this Galaxy, and the same basic stunt repeated, working off of calibrated eyeball, a shot of Schnapps, chased with a Moose Drool, and an invocation to the God of Chips and Sawdust.

This was the initial result, a hard push fit, no hammering. Looks like my conservative approach left a little extra thickness between the tangs. Better that than a sloppy rattle, I says.

[Linked Image]

I decided to run the job past "Quality Control", she can be a real Beotch about "missed print" sometimes. I doin't think she liked being bothered with this sorta' thing, this late in the day before a long weekend.

[Linked Image]

Thankfully, she signed off on it,

[Linked Image]

OKAY,.....at this point, the thing needs a fair bit of material removed from the tang slots, on the horizontal plane, e.g. the tapered horizontal mortise needs to be thinned. However, on the VERTICAL plane,the tang cuts are PERFECT,.....well aligned, and the desired .465" (or whatever) Rather than farting around trying to "Re-Index", FAIL, and mess up those somewhat EASILY obtained slots,....I drug out a .500" dovetail cutter, and relieved the CRAP out of the bottom of the tang slots, right on my original "Zero" on the Y axis. A little more room, in a critical area now exists for the minimal amount of acra-glas that will be used for the finish bed, with good "Wood to metal Fit" demonstrated
topside, where it counts.

[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/robbinmyers/Tcut9.jpg[/img]

At this point, it's time to vacuum off the Mill, .....call it a day. The frame, at this point needs to be finish inletted perhaps .100" further aft,.....and that will be accomplished with sharp hand tools and bedding black.

[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/robbinmyers/Tcut11.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/robbinmyers/Tcut10.jpg[/img]

Last edited by crossfireoops; 12/21/12.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Beautiful Gregg and I am much relieved to see Gracie smiling, I know that is the supreme seal of approval from a discriminating connoisseur of fine workmanship.

Bristoe, THANK YOU for your generous contribution as well Sir.

BTW Greg "You took it apart"? smile smile smile smile That fine redneck bushing/helicoil and all!!!!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
As you well know,.....there's a SUBSTANTIAL amount of material to excavate in the lower quadrant,.......clearance for the mainspring, and such.

Re; The Bush / Helicoil,and loose link,.....are you gonna handle alla' that precision on your end ? Nothing really that bad going on there,...everything's eminently repairable.

Other Q:,......Had you already loosened all of the fasteners, or was the ease experienced in so doing attributable to the smelly snake oil you soaked the thing with ?

Neat project, ......I'm thinking that the Wood is WAY older than the frame,.....and it's kinda' neat marrying up material from different generations / eras.

GTC

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Great pics of great work.

I also get a big kick out of your dog,...definitely a keeper.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
definitely a keeper.

She cracks me up, .....on a daily, repeatable basis.

....getting more photogenic, less camera shy, too.

Once she detects a playful cheerful tone, she starts flashin' dem' ivories.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
She appears to show good judgement and working knowledge of American acronyms. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
keep the pics coming Greg!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do what ever ya want Greg, I was actually gonna us it AS IS till if and when it broke, then would see about doing some rebuilding. That is the reason I never took it apart, the screws were pretty tight before the dunk in said "snake oil". If you want I can send the barrel and some money.

Old cat turd!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Terry, PM sent.

The wood fitting is a "Campfire Christmas Gift",.....your money's no good here.

Yours in abiding curmudgeonry,

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MEANER!

I was just kidding Greg, I forgot the smilie, my bad. smile smile

Old cat turd!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
well, it didn't LOOK like some of the screws had been touched in a very long time.

The gorilla pizz WORKED,...they all freed up with minimal (if any) effort.

I guess anything that SMELLS that rank would have to work, in order to sell .

Later,

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It be reasonable in price and since it works as a fair bore cleaner/lube I have found it to be a decent penetrate on stubborn parts.

I have some odds & ends of other internal pieces parts, some good files & stones and a small hobby gas welding rig. That and access to Carl's shop, I think I can get by. The wood work is however something I was never any good at, deemed in high school wood shop as a "World Class Wood Butcher".

Carl has a combo mill-lathe for doing some more precision metal work. He is the young man that I turned my "practice" over to when he came to town, a really talented gunsmith and nice young man that is showing potential of becoming a great curmudgeon as the only fool he suffers is me! smile smile smile

Gotta get the belt sander cleaned up and put on a new 60 grit belt for the finish work on that stock! smile smile smile

Old cat turd!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Gentleman,

Thanks so much for sharing the progress of your projects with The Campfire. Can't tell you how much I've enjoyed it. Forgive me for mixing thoughts and threads, but can't help but think that some of the video-playing youth are missing a lot of opportunities for mentoring.

Happy holidays to you all!

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Gotta get the belt sander cleaned up and put on a new 60 grit belt for the finish work on that stock! smile smile smile

You are a sick, demented old pervert, for even THINKING that, .....much less putting it out here to torment me with.

OK,....I'm gonna' fire up the Jonsered, and a $29.00 Dremel Tool, and FINISH the inletting, if that's the direction this has to go.

I swear, ya' just can't get any respect.

wink grin blush

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What's wrong with Dremels?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Gentleman,

Thanks so much for sharing the progress of your projects with The Campfire. Can't tell you how much I've enjoyed it. Forgive me for mixing thoughts and threads, but can't help but think that some of the video-playing youth are missing a lot of opportunities for mentoring.

Happy holidays to you all!

Bob

Bob,......first light saw me chasing parts, for projects on the go, and forthcoming. Than delivered some quality home grown Garlic to my lady barbers. Than to the Lion's club flea market,....found some cordage ( 35' of 2500 lb Nylon Flat Braid), and some tree wrap. Scored 12 cans of ground marking paint for the range ( $10.00)

Dashed home to meet a guy in from out of town, and get his machining project lined out.

A city councilman called , and showed up with a Cast Iron exhaust repair job, which got turned right around (it's probably back on the car by now). While we were pre-heating the prepped iron,....a Young fella whose building his first born's first bike showed up with a custom triple tree job,....he'll be back tomorrow for some brainstorming, Than I tried to repair a=n almost functional , collector grade Colt Lightning. mad mad mad Jeez I HATE those things,....

Somewhere along the line, I lowered the little "Bug" generator we use at the range off the table, and fired it up after a complete service.

This would subtend to a more or less NORMAL day around here. No gripe or whine purveyed ,.....I LIKE being this busy.

I am 66 years young,.......WTF are the younger folks that are going to pick up this trades legacy dittos, Mister frown

GTC

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

241 members (1minute, 338reddog, 45_100, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 1beaver_shooter, 29 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,902
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.