Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 30 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 29 30
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Paul39

A fairly recent major study at the medical school at the Univ. of NC looked at several factors as predictors of violent behavior. Mental illness was way down the list, not even statistically significant.

Paul

UNC Chapel Hill ?

Any "study" that comes out of UNCCH will say what their political agenda wants it to say.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Originally Posted by Bocefish
One reporter said there was a high caliber .223 rifle involved.

WTF is a high caliber .223.

Exactly, he was clueless but tried to make it sound as ominous as Godzilla attacking Tokyo.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BrentD
Same with video games. Influence of video games may be a factor in the behavior of some people, but not most who watch the games.

Paul,
There are a fair number of studies coming out recently and locally that contradict the notion that games have no significant effect. Not that I've read them but they have been publicized in your local media.

Interesting. I'd like to see the info from a credible source. The point I've been trying to make is the risk in generalizing, and the potential cost of pursuing solutions that may not be effective, even if just not cost effective in use of resources.

Trying to solve a major problem because it seems to make common sense or gives people a sense of security isn't the way to go, although it's politically tempting. Common sense gun control, anyone?

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 6mm250

A fairly recent major study at the medical school at the Univ. of NC looked at several factors as predictors of violent behavior. Mental illness was way down the list, not even statistically significant.

Paul

UNC Chapel Hill ?

Any "study" that comes out of UNCCH will say what their political agenda wants it to say.
Mike

You really don't understand how academia works.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
4:52 p.m: Ryan Lanza, 24, brother of gunman Adam Lanza, 20, tells authorities that his younger brother is autistic, or has Asperger syndrome and a �personality disorder.� Neighbors described the younger man to ABC as �odd� and displaying characteristics associated with obsessive-compulsive disorder.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Paul

UNC Chapel Hill ?

Mike

You really don't understand how academia works.

Iz dat sew ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Scott F
I too wonder what is the cause of these kinds of shootings. Bad parenting, hundreds of hours killing people of video games, how about the removal from ADD and ADHD drugs.

These tragedies will not stop until the real cause is found and corrected.

I played Cowboys and Indians as a kid and server in both law enforcement and the military but I would do my absolute best to keep from taking a life. Somewhere in the brains of these few something is really wrong. We must somehow find it and fix it.

Real cause? While there isn't just one, in my mind at the top of the list there is this:

Immediate fame.

Remove that, and I wonder how many of these younger mass murderers would even think about it.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Paul

UNC Chapel Hill ?

Mike

I wouldn't know about that, but the study which was from the medical school didn't seem to have an agenda, it was about statistical prediction. I did note that race wasn't included among the factors studied, which makes you wonder.

But be that as it may, I mentioned this as one recent study. There have been decades of such research, and it all points to about the same things.

One thing is for damned sure, violent behavior is hard to predict, especially in the absence of previous such behavior. Would that it were otherwise, but there are high stakes in continuing to research the causes and to predict it before it occurs.

Paul

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Same with video games. Influence of video games may be a factor in the behavior of some people, but not most who watch the games.

Paul,
There are a fair number of studies coming out recently and locally that contradict the notion that games have no significant effect. Not that I've read them but they have been publicized in your local media.

Interesting. I'd like to see the info from a credible source. The point I've been trying to make is the risk in generalizing, and the potential cost of pursuing solutions that may not be effective, even if just not cost effective in use of resources.

Trying to solve a major problem because it seems to make common sense or gives people a sense of security isn't the way to go, although it's politically tempting. Common sense gun control, anyone?

Paul

Paul,
You can probably surf it up on their webpages. Been coming out every so often over the last 2-3 yrs on a regular basis.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you need a license in the US to purchase a firearm? Does it vary from state to state? The media seems to make it like anyone can just either walk into a store and buy a firearm or order one off the internet.

Here in Canada we need to take a training course and then apply for a Posession and Acquisition License. We then have to fill out the following application:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/pdfs/5592-eng.pdf

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Paul,

Paul

Well if you are not attributing mental illness to Laughner, Holms, Cho, and now a guy who would execute a kindergarten class, I would be interested to here your theory.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Be interesting to know how violent behavior correlates with narcissistic personality disorder.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Interviews on the Sean Hannity show state the the school had just implemented a new security program. The school is locked down when class starts at 9:30. You have to be buzzed in to enter the school, and there was an armed security guard. Visual identification probably allowed the entry of this person, known to be the son of a teacher who worked there. He started shooting in the principals office and killed the principal, vice principal and counselor. He then went to an adjecent room and started shooting. That was the Kindergarten room.

You cant legislate this type of activity. If the teacher had gun issued by the school, the bad guy still has to come through the class room door. Hearing shots across the hall, she could have hidden behind her desk, or a pile of desks and just kept him from entering the room with gun fire. I know it isnt as easy as it sounds, but learning to protect yourself is the only way to stop these kind of events. He would have had a hard time getting through the door to execute children if he had to get through a shotgun blast every time he showed his face.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Given my experience with asbergers and autism, if this kid had a break and thought these children were somehow "taking his mother". It very well could cause this type of reaction. Now I am not saying that all with autism and/or asbergers are capable of doing this type of thing, even remotely. But if he displayed obsessive behavior as an aspect of his condition he would not see these children or adults as people as we do. He would merely see them as obstacles and bad people that took his mother's attention from him.

Last edited by fixitquick79; 12/14/12.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We will feel the effects of this for a very long time and things like this will continue to happen until people realize that a person who can take a gun point it at a childs face and pull the trigger is so far gone that no law will make a difference in they're decision.

Any one can take a gun into a gunfree zone and have complete control, All across the US any teacher who is willing, quallified and who has had intensive training should be carrying a gun while teaching a class, this gun free zone schit has to STOP!

This [bleep] coward was unknowingly allowed to kill these children and the only way to stop it is to make a school a saftey zone not a gunfree zone.

These [bleep] people have not protected our children and I hold not only the gunman responsible but also the people who had anything to do with this gunfree zone schit!

Common Sense is all you need for gun control and unfortunatly there does'nt seem to be much of that in this world anymore.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
4:52 p.m: Ryan Lanza, 24, brother of gunman Adam Lanza, 20, tells authorities that his younger brother is autistic, or has Asperger syndrome and a �personality disorder.� Neighbors described the younger man to ABC as �odd� and displaying characteristics associated with obsessive-compulsive disorder.

If this is true, it begs the question... what was he doing with guns, and how/where did he get them? Of course, that will come out in the coming days.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

If this is true, it begs the question... what was he doing with guns, and how/where did he get them? Of course, that will come out in the coming days.

From what I heard earlier on fox is that they were registered to his mother. Given that he apparently did not live with her you cannot easily say she gave him access either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
".........how academia works."

Now that's an oxymoron to rank right up there with "military intelligence".

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
In other words if you have guns and people you cannot control/trust with a gun knows that, keep them in a safe except for the one you have direct control of. Better yet do not tell anyone even family members you would not trust with a gun.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You're missing the point. Of course there have been serious violent crimes committed by mentally ill persons, and they get wide publicity. That doesn't translate to a generalization that mental illness is a reliable predictor of violent behavior. You can't generalize from cases to the whole. The question is the incidence of violent behavior on the part of the mentally ill, vs. those without such conditions.

We will likely learn eventually what motivated this heinous crime.

The real practical problem is valid prediction. Determining causes after the fact is hard enough. Predicting future behavior is much more difficult.

Paul

Page 19 of 30 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (1234, 1lesfox, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 52 invisible), 1,883 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,164
Posts18,523,540
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.