Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 30 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 29 30
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
my heart breaks for those innocent families........ frown

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

It took me 9 months to get a final approval/permit for a handgun last year.
Time it takes to complete background hceck varies tremendously by municipality, but the rules are the same.

There is a place for sale just down the road from me. grin My carry permit took eight days from the time I applied until it came in the mail but that is because there was a three day weekend in the middle.

I can carry almost everywhere even schools but just for drop off or pick up, not in the building and every bar that that does not have the "no one under 21" sign on the door. We can even use hollow points.

I do fill sorry for those who live in states like NJ.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...as do mine and my wife's. Tears keep welling up for those innocents.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
This is truly a sad day., our hearts go out to the parents.

Sad also is that it will be turned into a political ploy and used for some sort of gun control.

I'm betting we will find out, eventually, that this guy has some mental "issues' that someone knew about and would not or could not talk about.

Did you hear the President's comments??

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by Arac
Do you need a license in the US to purchase a firearm? Does it vary from state to state? The media seems to make it like anyone can just either walk into a store and buy a firearm or order one off the internet.

Here in Canada we need to take a training course and then apply for a Posession and Acquisition License. We then have to fill out the following application:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/pdfs/5592-eng.pdf

You walk into a store, see a gun you like, fill out a form, pass an instant background check that says you are not a felon nor have you been locked up for a mental disorder, pay your money and walk out if it is a long gun. Most states have some sort of waiting period, something like 3 to five days for handguns. But this kid was 20 and you must be 21 to buy a handgun.

NOt only must be 21, but if he lived in NJ you have to pass a mental health and criminal background check. 3 references. it often takes months to do the background hceck, and rarely under a month.

That permit is good for one handgun for 90 days only. once it expires, the entire process must be repeated.

Time it takes to complete background hceck varies tremendously by municipality, but the rules are the same.

It's being reported now that all the firearms recovered so far were traced and show they are legally registered to the mother of the shooter and not the shooter himself.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Thanks for providing this detailed explanation. Nine months seems like a very long time for a law-abiding citizen to wait for a permit to purchase a handgun.

It is 100% due to liberal progressives who delay the prcess. I have been told this by LEO.

3 weeks to a month in one town, close to a year in another. 2A is near dead in NJ.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by joken2

It's being reported now that all the firearms recovered so far were traced and show they are legally registered to the mother of the shooter and not the shooter himself.

That too is illegal. He is not a CT resident, he cannot be in possession of her guns without her there.

Guess that law didnt help either.

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F
Do you need a license in the US to purchase a firearm? Does it vary from state to state? The media seems to make it like anyone can just either walk into a store and buy a firearm or order one off the internet.

Here in Canada we need to take a training course and then apply for a Posession and Acquisition License. We then have to fill out the following application:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/pdfs/5592-eng.pdf

You walk into a store, see a gun you like, fill out a form, pass an instant background check that says you are not a felon nor have you been locked up for a mental disorder, pay your money and walk out if it is a long gun. Most states have some sort of waiting period, something like 3 to five days for handguns. But this kid was 20 and you must be 21 to buy a handgun.

NOt only must be 21, but if he lived in NJ you have to pass a mental health and criminal background check. 3 references. it often takes months to do the background hceck, and rarely under a month.

That permit is good for one handgun for 90 days only. once it expires, the entire process must be repeated.

So every ninety days you have to have a mental evaluation?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks for providing this detailed explanation. Nine months seems like a very long time for a law-abiding citizen to wait for a permit to purchase a handgun.

It is 100% due to liberal progressives who delay the prcess. I have been told this by LEO.

3 weeks to a month in one town, close to a year in another. 2A is near dead in NJ.

You can bet that slob of a governor will jump on Obama's bandwagon.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you want to apply for another permit.

No one mentally evaluates you 1 on 1. they apparantly do it via calling your employer, your references, and running your prints.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Barkoff

No. As I understand it, you have 90 days to use a permit once it is issued. After that period of time, you must start the process over again to obtain another permit.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by joken2

That too is illegal. He is not a CT resident, he cannot be in possession of her guns without her there.

Guess that law didnt help either.

Obviously not since according to recent news reports it sounds like that he probably took his mother out first.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
truthfully for other than the boy scouts amongst us, how many of you guys if they outlawed guns forever tomorrow and you turned yours in.

and THEN decided you wanted to obtain one illegally, how long or how many generations do you think it would take before it would be extremely unlikelt to be able to do so?

after 9-11 TSA seemed to be the answer we got, though I think it's folly

I'm inclined the answer we get to these mass shootings may not make much practical sense either.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
Originally Posted by Barkoff

No. As I understand it, you have 90 days to use a permit once it is issued. After that period of time, you must start the process over again to obtain another permit.

That is correct. You can also appeal for a 1 time extension of the 90 day permit for an additional 90 days. It is up to the Police Chiefs discretion as to whether they want to grant the extension or if you have to reapply for a new permit (which is good for 90 days).

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Here's another angle on the mental illness issue.

Not only do these incidents and the reporting thereof lead to an overestimation of mental illness as a factor in violent behavior, but as a corollary it is overused as an excuse.

Very few forms of mental illness "make" people do things. The vast majority of even seriously mentally ill persons are moral and capable of responsible behavior, however impaired they may be. It follows that most can and should be held accountable.

To a large extent I blame defense attorneys for this. I realize that they have an ethical obligation to vigorously defend their clients, but some stop at nothing to twist and spin in order to create doubt, even at the expense of truth. Also blame the "experts" who whore themselves out. Same with the "off his meds" argument. True, it can and does happen, but far less frequently than most believe. Stopping meds usually just allows the symptoms to come back, it doesn't create new behavior. There was a case in Iowa where a farmer shot his neighbor in cold blood in a classic case of land greed. The defense tried to claim self defense, and argued that the victim had been treated for depression, and was "off his meds." Blame the dead victim. Total BS.

Believe it or not, the strongest predictor of violence is being a young male, but nobody would claim that most young males are violent, or try to ban gun ownership for those under 40.

I also believe, but can't prove, that there are fads and fashions in how people act out their pathology, and that there is an element of copycat in these mass shootings. I don't know how you can predict which unstable individuals are going to be influenced to such an extreme by external factors.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BrentD
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Originally Posted by Paul39

A fairly recent major study at the medical school at the Univ. of NC looked at several factors as predictors of violent behavior. Mental illness was way down the list, not even statistically significant.

Paul

UNC Chapel Hill ?

Any "study" that comes out of UNCCH will say what their political agenda wants it to say.
Mike

You really don't understand how academia works.

But you're so [bleep] brite you are going to tell us. LOL

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Simply unbelievable the amount of armchair quarterbacking and pontificating about irrelevant or unimportant sheit...

I have friends that have lost young children in accidents or to disease... their lives shattered, and in at least one case never recovered emotionally. I cannot think of a greater loss, a greater shock or a more difficult trauma from which to recover.

Our thoughts and prayers should be to the victims, their families, their community, and to our country which has suffered another grievous tragedy and unimaginable heart-wrenching loss.

There will be a time for discussion about policy and politics.... this is not it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well finally got the good news all the kids we know that attended the school are safe.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I haveget never tried to be an internet tough guy, just a live and let live south Alabama country boy. Having said that, I would literally give my left testicle to get this guy alone in a room for 5 min. If he wouldn't have taken the cowards way out.

Prayers sent

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Simply unbelievable the amount of armchair quarterbacking and pontificating about irrelevant or unimportant sheit...

I have friends that have lost young children in accidents or to disease... their lives shattered, and in at least one case never recovered emotionally. I cannot think of a greater loss, a greater shock or a more difficult trauma from which to recover.

Our thoughts and prayers should be to the victims, their families, their community, and to our country which has suffered another grievous tragedy and unimaginable heart-wrenching loss.

There will be a time for discussion about policy and politics.... this is not it.

x10000

Page 21 of 30 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (1lesfox, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 160user, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 48 invisible), 1,806 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,164
Posts18,523,511
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.