Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 30 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 29 30
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelringer
And there are laws regarding private sales. Age, residency requirements, not being aware of felony convictions... any of that ring a bell?

EDITED to respectfully lower my tone.
No there aren't. There aren't Federal requirements and most freedom-loving states don't have state requirements. Hawkeye is right and you're wrong.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oso250
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by watch4bear
I'm sure you've sent your kids to school for years without police officers, and drugs have been around for 50 years, but today you want body guards?

50 years ago it was a different world......

Yep, mostly two parent families, paddles in school and at home, church on Sunday, People knowing and caring about each other-- at least thats what I saw.

And no video games.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by CLB

Today is proof that kids are not safe in schools and this is not the first time. With metal detectors and police officer, those kids would have lived to enjoy another Christmas.

While I agree their chances would have been greatly improved it is not a given. Wasn't it Columbine where an officer died. I may be wrong as my brain is old but I remember some officer giving his life to try to stop shooters.

You might be right Scott, but no one can say it would hurt the situation. Personally, I would not feel it to be an infringement of any of my rights. Columbine was a little different with two shooters I believe.

My only point is that it's too easy to get to our kids. Any of our kids, anywhere.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I agree it would be a whole lot better than nothing and could save a lot of lives. I am in favor of saving lives.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
And there are laws regarding private sales. Age, residency requirements, not being aware of felony convictions... any of that ring a bell?

No there aren't. There aren't Federal requirements and most freedom-loving states don't have state requirements. Hawkeye is right and you're wrong.

Who gives a [bleep]! This is what you guy's are thinking about?

Please open another thread and go bash your heads over there.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CLB
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
How did that pyscho get into the school? My son's daycare is locked down.

Shooters mother was a kindergarten teacher. Many people apparently knew him and was therefore easy to get in.

My kids school is no different. If they know you, they buzz you in. What we need is 1 full time police officer and metal detectors at the schools.

NOTHING is more important than keeping our kids safe.

That's true but if what you say is true that would not have worked. The first person he would have shot would have been the police officer.

My wife works for a state agency that is on permanent lock down but everybody knows me so most just ring me in and call my wife that I'm at the front desk.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by derby_dude

And no video games.

My son, a father of six, called me today and thanked me for making him quit listening to things like "another one hit bit the dust". Told me he was glad I did. I also taught him to shoot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There exist rules on private transactions regardless of what you believe TRH. Read them sometime.

Out of respect for my fellow Nutmeggers who have to endure the biggest loss one can imagine I will refrain from slinging mud.

Not in Montana for private sales.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I am not aware of any in Or or WA.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
DD,

We'll never know what this guy was thinking. It is clear he was going to kill his parents for whatever the reason. This guy took his fight to the school which is [bleep] up.....no way to get around that right now.

Obama will be on next to pitch more gun control. Big whoop. If they never sold and AR15, this still goes down today, the same way...

As parents, we are not there to help our own kids when the schitt goes down. Has to be a better way is all.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RISJR
Forgive my speculation but I feel we'll come to learn these guns were straw purchases by mom or maybe older brother. According to older brother, shooter has a history of mental illness.

When you couple a kid whose wiring is lost in the abyss with the disjointed enabling of others, it's fairly easy to write the last few chapters of the biography.

There it is. Another re-run. Always the same damn thing.

This wonderful person, Principal Dawn Hochsprung, confronted the unthinkable this morning while the rest of us were doing whatever important things we were doing. She sounds exactly like a Ms. McDaniel, Elementary Principal, that I know well, and the teachers that shielded kids with their bodies sound like two other Ms. McDaniels (both teachers) that are married to two of my sons. There is a Miss McDaniel that attends kindergarden classes at her school as well.

That this whole thing is hitting close to home with me is an understatement. My parents lived in Danbury for 2 1/2 years as well.

Every day that I have gone to work as a teacher, coach or administrator, I go through my mind confronting the unthinkable. I can come up with no other scenario than that I would go toward the shooter until I had my hands on him. I know my beautiful wife and daughter-in-laws would do so as well. We would never run and hide while our children were dying. Elementary schools are places filled with women and small children. Very few men seek employment in Elementary education. I have always been a secondary educator and it is a different atmosphere altogether.

My wife has fired a pistol perhaps 6 times in her life, one cylinder from my K22. She really doesn't like guns very much at all but she is married to a gun nut. I know without asking her that given the choice of standing in front of a gunman with an open palm saying "Stop" or pointing a gun at him and shooting him that she would trade his life in a heartbeat for a single hair from one of her kid's head. Yet, still today the likelihood of her carrying a gun at all is remote.

The idea is not to arm teachers but rather to allow those who are desirous and competent to carry a firearm at work/school.

Ms. Hochsprung confronted reality and her own mortality with an open palm. I know she knew that she was going to die but I know she did all she could to stop the Coward that shot her. 27 souls went Home way to early because our society no longer believes in protecting itself from evil. I hope the Cowardly Bastard POS that perpetrated this act is ..................... I just can't think of anything bad enough.

God Bless Dawn Hochsprung and her staff that gave all for their kids. This kind of tragedy proves there is a heaven for where else would such wonderful people and innocent children go when they die.

Alan

Sandy Hook principal's Twitter account showed educator dedicated to students | Fox News

Sandy Hook principal's Twitter account showed educator dedicated to students
By Cristina Corbin, Jana Winter
Published December 14, 2012
FoxNews.com
Principal Dawn Hochsprung was in a meeting Friday morning when the sound of gunshots pierced the quiet halls of her elementary school in an idyllic Connecticut town. Minutes later, the 47-year-old educator and mother, along with 25 others, lay dead after a gunman opened fire in one of the worst mass shootings in the nation's history.
Hochsprung, who served at the helm of Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown for the past two years, was as dedicated to her young charges as she was beloved by them, according to those who knew her.
"Everyone loved her. All the kids loved her."
- Marsha Moskowitz, speaking about Principal Dawn Hochsprung
"She was great," Marsha Moskowitz, a former school bus driver, told FoxNews.com. "Everyone loved her. All the kids loved her."
If Hochsprung's Twitter feed is any indication, the woman was unabashedly proud of the nearly 700 students enrolled at Sandy Hook.
"Sandy Hook students enjoy the rehearsal for our 4th grade winter concert -- a talented group led by Maryrose Kristopik!" she tweeted on Wednesday.
Other posts include colorful pictures of the "Book Fairy" reading to first-graders, as well as fourth-grade students singing patriotic songs on stage at a Veteran's Day breakfast last month.
"Keeping books in our hearts and on our minds!" Hochsprung tweeted. "Technology is just a tool. In terms of getting the kids working together and motivating them, the teacher is the most important," she wrote, quoting Bill Gates.
The principal also appeared to be strict on safety. In an Oct. 17 post, she tweeted, "Safety first at Sandy Hook... It's a beautiful day for our annual evacuation drill!" She also implemented new security measures at the school last fall, according to the New York Daily News. A letter sent home to parents reportedly said every visitor would be required to ring the doorbell at the front entrance after the doors locked at 9:30 a.m.
"Please understand that with nearly 700 students and over 1,000 parents representing 500 SHS families, most parents will be asked to show identification," Hochsprung wrote, according to the newspaper.
Hochsprung, of Woodbury, Conn., joined the elementary school in 2010 with 12 years of prior administrative experience. Hochsprung, mother of two daughters and three stepdaughters, was married to George Hochsprung, an educator within the Danbury Public School district.

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Scott, I will address your post because I respect you and your style of posting here. The 1968 GCA and other Federal laws impact and regulate private firearms transactions. Guidelines like minimum age requirements for handgun/longuns, residency of same state requirements and the definition of "prohibited persons" affects all transactions which include private sales.

So many things went wrong in today's tragedy no new laws could have prevented it. There were many laws that were broken, both Federal and State of CT.

Leaves that empty feeling in one's stomach knowing our children are so vulnerable. Laws have not made that any better.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
damned allergies.....

Bless the children, and God keep them all.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Below are the regulations that apply to all firearm transactions private sales NOT excluded. The ATF website goes into much more depth.

So yes there are regulations in place for all firearm transactions even in the freedom loving states.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person�s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee�s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

Q: Are there certain persons who cannot legally receive or possess firearms and/or ammunition?
[18 U.S.C. 922(g) and (n), 27 CFR 478.32]
Yes, a person who �

Has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;
Is a fugitive from justice;
Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;
Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution;
Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;
Has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
Having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship;
Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner; or
Has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
Cannot lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm.

A person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year cannot lawfully receive a firearm.

Such person may continue to lawfully possess firearms obtained prior to the indictment or information.

[18 U.S.C. 922(g) and (n), 27 CFR 478.32]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#gca-unlicensed-transfer

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I can't stop thinking about those children and the grief their families will go through. I pray that God grants them peace to live their lives...I don't think they will find it anywhere else.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Every day that I have gone to work as a teacher, coach or administrator, I go through my mind confronting the unthinkable. I can come up with no other scenario than that I would go toward the shooter until I had my hands on him.

Yep, do or die, and a prayer you can knock 'em down at least before they take you out.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That's true but if what you say is true that would not have worked. The first person he would have shot would have been the police officer.

Maybe.

I'm waiting to hear if there was a school district Cop at this school. I have taught for 25 years at a big city school with Cops, and yes they are a deterrent, as well as becoming a valuable interface accessible between the kid and the legal system.

Up until now it has been my impression that these school shootings have occurred in places where there AREN'T Cops on campus. Whatever sick impulse drives these psychopaths, getting in a gunbattle with Cops doesn't seem to be a part of what they want.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Scott, I will address your post because I respect you and your style of posting here. The 1968 GCA and other Federal laws impact and regulate private firearms transactions. Guidelines like minimum age requirements for handgun/longuns, residency of same state requirements and the definition of "prohibited persons" affects all transactions which include private sales.

So many things went wrong in today's tragedy no new laws could have prevented it. There were many laws that were broken, both Federal and State of CT.

Leaves that empty feeling in one's stomach knowing our children are so vulnerable. Laws have not made that any better.

Thanks for the info. I learned something today. See, old dogs can learn. wink

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Personally I am getting tired of this crap...

jackassses do things like this, because they know they will be in an environment that no one will be shooting back at them...

you know the leftists are going to be all over this like a chicken on a worm....

coming up with more "Bans" to make kids at places like this, all the more in danger....

and this in an anti gun state like Connecticut....evidently liberal laws didn't work real well... and then the stupid leftists, will think they must not have enough laws...

I am catching this after being gone all day, but I sure hope the perp got his asss blown away where there wasn't even a grease spot on the side walk left of him...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by watch4bear
I'm sure you've sent your kids to school for years without police officers, and drugs have been around for 50 years, but today you want body guards?

50 years ago it was a different world......

My Kindergarten Graduation...55 years ago.

[Linked Image]

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Page 25 of 30 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

327 members (1badf350, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 160user, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 10,179 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,340
Posts18,546,412
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.