Print Thread
Hop To
Page 29 of 30 1 2 27 28 29 30
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Hey, dippshit! A man asked a question about American regs.

Piece of free advice for you: When you find you've dug yourself into a hole, best stop digging. smirk

You are in the hole. You gave him misinformation. Federal laws and guidelines in written regulations affect ALL firearms transactions, even private FTF sales. Fact. Seems everyone here knows that except you.

Don't even attempt to state private sales have no rules or guidelines. It is BS.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Steelringer
Hey, dippshit! A man asked a question about American regs.

Piece of free advice for you: When you find you've dug yourself into a hole, best stop digging. smirk

You are in the hole. You gave him misinformation. Federal laws and guidelines in written regulations affect ALL firearms transactions, even private FTF sales. Fact. Seems everyone here knows that except you.

Don't even attempt to state private sales have no rules or guidelines. It is BS.
Quit trying to rewrite history. The details of our exchange are recorded in this thread. You attempted to contradict my accurate statement that most private gun sales that take place in America are not regulated. You then tried to rewrite history (a pattern of yours, when you're losing an argument, it seems) as though you were referring to the laws punishing fraud and such in private transactions, which have nothing to do with gun regulations. Now go ahead and lie some more, and invite some more friends to give you some more high fives for your idiocy.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
All private sales of firearms are regulated. Rules are in place defining prohibited persons, residency requirements and age requirements. Fact.

Non-compliance occurs. That can be a choice. Do not attempt to communicate it is legally optional or compliance is not required by law. It is.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
All private sales of firearms are regulated. Rules are in place defining prohibited persons, residency requirements and age requirements. Fact.

You're apparently beyond reaching on this point. Actions not contemplated by a regulation are not regulated. No paperwork or fees are required, and no official of state need be notified or asked permission of, if I want to buy my neighbor's .30-30 and he's agreeable to said transaction.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
But Federal regulations DO exist for that transaction. The full requirement placed on an FFL may or may not apply depending on the state, but there ARE rules which DO apply to that FTF private sale. Fact.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
But Federal regulations DO exist for that transaction. The full requirement placed on an FFL may or may not apply depending on the state, but there ARE rules which DO apply to that FTF private sale. Fact.

You apparently lack the intellect to grasp your own error, but feel free to continue making the same mistake, and don't forget to invite your friends to keep those high fives coming.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Why don't you two get a room??

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I clearly see that no additional law or rule would have prevented this tragedy. None. If anything it is simple proof that additional laws will not work.

Agreed.

With sun shining on another day and some facts leaking out the only think I can see that could have prevented this is if the guns were locked up.

It now looks like the mother legally owned the guns. The son got them and killed his mother at home according to one report I read this morning. Then he went to the school, broke in, not let in, and started killing. Two handguns used and some sort of 223 rifle left in the car.

I am NOT advocating mandatory gun locks or safes in order to have a gun in your home. My 1911 is within easy reach right now on my dresser as I am playing lazy retired guy and typing this in bed while sipping coffee. Us retired old farts can get away with this on cold days when the wind is blowing the rain almost horizontally across the farm. There are two rifles within a couple of steps, one loaded the other not.

I thought about this all day yesterday and may be moving all but the 1911 into a safe in my reloading room in the basement of the bigger house on the farm. Out 420 SQ/FT home is not big enough to bring the safe in here. The 1911 spends the nights on my Bible and it's days on my hip but the other guns are not locked up when out of my direct control.

If this 20 year old kid could not have gotten his hands on those guns we could well be talking about something a lot more pleasant today.

Just the thoughts of one old man.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
if I want to buy my neighbor's .30-30 and he's agreeable to said transaction.

That is correct, as long as you are a resident of the same state, he does not suspect you of being a felon, or that you are purchasing the firearm to cause harm.

I think the distinction is that there is are rules in place, but there is no person or regulatory agency that makes sure the rules are applied. Are there laws in place for all firearm purchases, yes, are they regulated, no.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Scott, CT already has one of the toughest laws regarding firearms security and unauthorized access in the nation. It is but another example of how additional laws do not prevent crime.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by heavywalker
if I want to buy my neighbor's .30-30 and he's agreeable to said transaction.

That is correct, as long as you are a resident of the same state, he does not suspect you of being a felon, or that you are purchasing the firearm to cause harm.

I think the distinction is that there is are rules in place, but there is no person or regulatory agency that makes sure the rules are applied. Are there laws in place for all firearm purchases, yes, are they regulated, no.

A written law IS a regulation. Anything that prevents free trade without rules which can be enforced and a penalty exists for breaking them IS a regulation. Some of those regulations are found in the GCA of 1968 posted above.

The BATFE is and will be involved in any regulation which is broken regarding a firearms transaction. Usually after the fact, but don't think they are not interested when they find violations.

WE CAN NOT MAKE BLANKET STATEMENTS! Stating there are no regulations on private sales gives liberal anti-gunners fodder. It is incorrect. The law is there for everyone to see.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Scott, CT already has one of the toughest laws regarding firearms security and unauthorized access in the nation. It is but another example of how additional laws do not prevent crime.

I don't doubt that, not at all. But he somehow got them. We may never no how. Again, I am NOT in favor of new laws. My thoughts are for me personally and how I store my firearms.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Guys its a tough day for CT and the nation as a whole, do we really need to argue gun laws and gun control. That will come in the following weeks and months. The latest news conference also stated that forced his way into the school. I've watched Lt. Paul Vance of the CT State Police for years on tv as the CSP spokesman and you can tell this time its different.
First I pray for all the victims and pray for those 1st responders, I can not even imagine the nightmares they will have for a long time to come.

As a parent, I hugged my children a bit tighter last night. I'm not the most religious person myself though I believe in God and believe if there is a God then there is a Hell.

I do hope that the fire was extra hot last night and that Lanza had a front row seat.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

WE CAN NOT MAKE BLANKET STATEMENTS! Stating there are no regulations on private sales gives liberal anti-gunners fodder. It is incorrect. The law is there for everyone to see.

I agree there are laws that cover all firearm transactions, I was just trying to bridge the gap between what you are talking about and what TRH was talking about.

You are talking laws on the books, and he is talking about actually regulating the purchases or overseeing them to make sure they are legal...

I think you two are talking apples and oranges and with the written word it is sometimes hard to understand what another person is trying to say exactly.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ChipM
Guys its a tough day for CT and the nation as a whole, do we really need to argue gun laws and gun control. That will come in the following weeks and months. The latest news conference also stated that forced his way into the school. I've watched Lt. Paul Vance of the CT State Police for years on tv as the CSP spokesman and you can tell this time its different.
First I pray for all the victims and pray for those 1st responders, I can not even imagine the nightmares they will have for a long time to come.

As a parent, I hugged my children a bit tighter last night. I'm not the most religious person myself though I believe in God and believe if there is a God then there is a Hell.

I do hope that the fire was extra hot last night and that Lanza had a front row seat.

Ditto...now is not the time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A good article in today's Times documenting Adam Lanza's personality:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/n...ified-as-a-mass-killer.html?pagewanted=1

"Several said in separate interviews that it was their understanding that he had a developmental disorder. They said they had been told that the disorder was Asperger�s syndrome, which is considered a high functioning form of autism."

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Which only tangentially at most can be a cause or contributing factor.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

I agree there are laws that cover all firearm transactions, I was just trying to bridge the gap between what you are talking about and what TRH was talking about.

You are talking laws on the books, and he is talking about actually regulating the purchases or overseeing them to make sure they are legal...

I think you two are talking apples and oranges and with the written word it is sometimes hard to understand what another person is trying to say exactly.
He just screwed up, then tried to make it about something else so as to save face. But I appreciate your reasoned approach to this.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by derby_dude

Yup, I learned something today to, private sales are illegal.

You are incorrect, now you have learned something.

Well according to the post on the ATF regs I can't sell a private firearm because I could not possible know the answer to there questions. My private sales do go through an FFL on consignment for that very reason.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Yup, I learned something today to, private sales are illegal.

You are incorrect, now you have learned something.

Well according to the post on the ATF regs I can't sell a private firearm because I could not possible know the answer to there questions. My private sales do go through an FFL on consignment for that very reason.

You being overly cautious does not make it illegal.

Page 29 of 30 1 2 27 28 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 60 invisible), 1,964 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,182
Posts18,523,788
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.