-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chill out Bob you'll be stroking out pretty soon!

JHC, WTF happened to you?

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

Not all rifles or barrels are equal, I shoot 3 groove PacNors and tend to get 50-75 fps more then book speed with 1-1.5 grs less and work up and stop at the first even indication of pressure as I'm not dumb.

Just curious how you know your barrel is 50-75 fps faster without knowing the pressures your running?
and you say your load work up is stopped when the first sign of pressure is seen, yet everyone you show your brass to says your brass looks fine even without checking the primer pockets or taking case head measurments or looking for case head thinning, is it possible even those you showed your cases to don't know for sure the exact pressures your running?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Isn't in lovely when people can sit behind a screen and tell people where to go and say someone is an idiot?

There's LOTS of people out there who don't have a clue what speeds they're running, what the BC of a bullet they're using, whatever it may be. Doesn't mean they don't know what their doing.

When you ASSUME, it makes an A.S.S OUT OF U AND ME!

Happy Holidays Everyone

Life is just one damned thing after another
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Shod
To me a 280 A.I. is nothing more than a 280 with the advantage of vastly improved case life and reduced both thrust. The claim that A.I. cartridges mask pressure signs intrigues me not because I intend to run more pressure but because it tells me that the chamber design does not have week points in which the pressure is concentrated causing case distortion or failure at a sooner point in the life of the case. It's kind of like the difference between buying a vehicle that is a 50,000 mile throw away or a 300,000 mile marvel of good engineering. To me....engineering that increases the life of the machinery is a good thing. The engineering behind a straight wall case with sharper shoulders is in fact a very basic and simple engineering concept. In fact the principles involved are so simple you could call it stupid simple!

The claim that us A.I. owners are running excessive pressure is nothing more than a lying line of presumptuous BS. I guess we are supposed to buy and use pressure test equipment to load to pressure tested manuel loads for our 280 A.I.s even though 99% on this forum dont including Bobin Not Home! I'm getting tired of the lying presumptuous BS!!!!!Of course there are ones who will push the envelope from every caliber and make but this is not somehow mysteriously centralized to 280 AI owners. BOB....YUR FULL OF SCHIT!!"

My experience with the 280AI is that is does mask pressure signs and when I see claims of 140's @ 3350 I'm 99% sure that load is north of 65K, I really think the 280ai is a great cartridge but I never tried to make mine something it wasn't!

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I think the 280AI is a very good option for a person wanting a good close to mag velocity in a standard action. A plus alone for me is that when loading one doesn't have to trim brass my least favorite part of reloading. Also Nosler and Sierra both offer data in their manuals for loading the AI.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob,

Not at all attempting to misquote you and of you read it that wayy apologies. I am just trying to honestly understand where you feel people like me have pushed too far.

As i read it, the poster of the article said R22 would give more velocity before pressures climbed then 4350 or 4831. That is in line with what the books say, what I have read and my experiences.

You say I'm well over the top yet my loads are at or under book max in several books and within 50-65 fps of book speeds. Is up to 65fps really that big of an indicator of a problem or not in the realm of being an acceptable variance in different barrels?

I don't ever try to push past what I read is a safe load and have worked up to. I am trying to understand how i am "well over" when my loads are like I said within what i consider an acceptable speed variance of book loads and countless loads posted online going back years.

No I will not push it past 3315 and may even take a bit of powder out of it if there is some compelling reason too but I haven't seen one yet except claims only that my velocity is too high.

Ackleyfan,

No I do not have my own pressure measuring device but do know for a fact that I get none of the well established pressure signs I.E. hard bolt lift, flat primers, extractor marks etc. After 7 loadings my primer pockets are still nice and tight, case head measurements show no sign of stretching and the 3 pieces of brass I have cut apart show no thinning anywhere.

So yes your correct in that no one can tell me for sure what the pressure is in my rifle. All I can go on is I'm following book load that I worked up to and everything that I can check in regards to pressure signs seems normal to me.

Guys, I'm not too hard headed as to think I know it all, nor too old to learn if someone has advice or an explanation. I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around claims that I've pushed it too far based simply on velocity yet nothing I can see says so.

As I said everything I have read tells me I'm near the top end but can find nothing that tells me I'm over.

Also is it possible that my barrel being a 3 groove has anything to do with my speeds being higher? Do they possibly create less pressure? I have 3 other 3 grooves in the safe and all of them reach book speeds typically at 1-1.5 grs under max and again with no pressure signs that I can see.

Like I said guys I'm all ears but I need a bit more then just my speed means my load is unsafe.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Let the brass decide......

If your brass will take it...... and your rifle will take it.. and you're ok with it.... why the hell should SAAMI or 'stick or Bob or Rainy or anyone else get to decide if you're 'safe' or not?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Genius: I (use the term loosely)....along with straight tapers and sharp shoulders that don't stretch,we find finicky feeding in some rifles;high pressure that "seem" OK at home in (say) Illinois,could leave you stuck in the field with a jammed rifle when the temps hit 80 degrees in New Mexico or Africa.

The more tapered case extracts more easily due to the design of most bolt actions along the lines of the Mauser 98 types, primary extraction as you lift the bolt handle causing the case to pull away from the side walls of the chamber as the bolt handle is lifted...not so in a straight taper (Ackley design)as the case drags and sticks to the chamber wall,causing less reliable extraction and function.

The Brits and the inventors of the 7x57,the 30/06, the 270, and the 280,375H&H,300H&H all knew this stuff about bolt action rifle function, which you clearly "don't".

Of course you wouldn't know any of this because you don't know much except what you "read",are an idiot,and have little to no hunting and shooting experience.A treatise of what you"know" will fit on the back of a postage stamp,single spaced.

I'm still waiting to hear all your 7mm "experience" of which I suspect there is very little.

Go sit in a corner,junior.You know next to nothing...you're just polluting the bandwidth.

Bobin,

I may have missed it in all the post,what experience do you have with a 280 AI?

Last edited by 338rcm; 12/01/12.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Not all rifles or barrels are equal, I shoot 3 groove PacNors and tend to get 50-75 fps more then book speed with 1-1.5 grs less and work up and stop at the first even indication of pressure as I'm not dumb.

Just curious how you know your barrel is 50-75 fps faster without knowing the pressures your running?
and you say your load work up is stopped when the first sign of pressure is seen, yet everyone you show your brass to says your brass looks fine even without checking the primer pockets or taking case head measurments or looking for case head thinning, is it possible even those you showed your cases to don't know for sure the exact pressures your running?

AF: Exactly....glad someone on here has the brains to "get it"!

Still have not seen anyone tell me how a case with 67 gr of powder capacity jumps 200-300 fps over a standard 280....Voodoo? Black magic?

338RCM I have ZERO experience with the 280AI...having owned and loaded for 7-8 280's and at least double that many 7 Rem mags,what, EXACTLY,is a 280AI gonna show me? confused

Nothing.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Bob,

Not at all attempting to misquote you and of you read it that wayy apologies. I am just trying to honestly understand where you feel people like me have pushed too far.

As i read it, the poster of the article said R22 would give more velocity before pressures climbed then 4350 or 4831. That is in line with what the books say, what I have read and my experiences.

You say I'm well over the top yet my loads are at or under book max in several books and within 50-65 fps of book speeds. Is up to 65fps really that big of an indicator of a problem or not in the realm of being an acceptable variance in different barrels?

I don't ever try to push past what I read is a safe load and have worked up to. I am trying to understand how i am "well over" when my loads are like I said within what i consider an acceptable speed variance of book loads and countless loads posted online going back years.

No I will not push it past 3315 and may even take a bit of powder out of it if there is some compelling reason too but I haven't seen one yet except claims only that my velocity is too high.

Ackleyfan,

No I do not have my own pressure measuring device but do know for a fact that I get none of the well established pressure signs I.E. hard bolt lift, flat primers, extractor marks etc. After 7 loadings my primer pockets are still nice and tight, case head measurements show no sign of stretching and the 3 pieces of brass I have cut apart show no thinning anywhere.

So yes your correct in that no one can tell me for sure what the pressure is in my rifle. All I can go on is I'm following book load that I worked up to and everything that I can check in regards to pressure signs seems normal to me.

Guys, I'm not too hard headed as to think I know it all, nor too old to learn if someone has advice or an explanation. I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around claims that I've pushed it too far based simply on velocity yet nothing I can see says so.

As I said everything I have read tells me I'm near the top end but can find nothing that tells me I'm over.

Also is it possible that my barrel being a 3 groove has anything to do with my speeds being higher? Do they possibly create less pressure? I have 3 other 3 grooves in the safe and all of them reach book speeds typically at 1-1.5 grs under max and again with no pressure signs that I can see.

Like I said guys I'm all ears but I need a bit more then just my speed means my load is unsafe.

My 280AI is the only gun that has never shown any signs of pressure whatsoever, I have a custom 270 win and 2- 300 win mags that come up to speed .5-1 grs under max any higher and I start to see ejector marks mostly, primer pocket loosening and velocity over what most manuals say I should get...so are you over pressure? I believe you are but your right I have about as much proof as you do, you keep saying you haven't seen any "pressure signs" and what I'm saying is your not likely to see any with this case design and it's reduced bolt thrust....edited to add "until a case or primer lets go"

Last edited by Ackleyfan; 12/01/12.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Chill out Bob you'll be stroking out pretty soon!

JHC, WTF happened to you?

What "happened" to me is that I can only read the BS,and ridiculous claims for this cartridge,for only so long.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

AF: Exactly....glad someone on here has the brains to "get it"!

Still have not seen anyone tell me how a case with 67 gr of powder capacity jumps 200-300 fps over a standard 280....Voodoo? Black magic?

338RCM I have ZERO experience with the 280AI...having owned and loaded for 7-8 280's and at least double that many 7 Rem mags,what, EXACTLY,is a 280AI gonna show me? confused

Nothing.

I'm pretty sure 67gr is the case capacity of the standard 280 not the improved version.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Must be everyone is already tagged out or somethin'.... wink

BTW, the 7mag has a bigger capacity than the 280ai, and that's really all anyone needs to know to settle the argument.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
56.0 grains of imr 4350, and a 140 ttsx was all it took to whack this oryx at 693 yards.
No super velocity, no trimming, just a light recoiling, super accurate rifle with years of brass life.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by splattermatic; 12/02/12.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Wow, imagine that! A critter killed with a 280 AI running sane numbers, lucky I guess laugh

Congratulations, looks like it was fun.

Randy

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by splattermatic
56.0 grains of imr 4350, and a 140 ttsx was all it took to whack this oryx at 693 yards.
No super velocity, no trimming, just a light recoiling, super accurate rifle with years of brass life.
[Linked Image]

Mark...looks like you had a good time, Congrats!

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Interesting topic... I've been reading this and many other threads on this site for a while, but just now felt compelled to jump in. I have a 280AI and love it. It's my first custom built rifle. I wanted something "different". Something that you can't go to any gun shop and buy. Something that you can't order on-line. Part of this plan was a unique caliber as well. It's built with a SAAMI spec chamber. I currently shoot 140gr Nosler Accubonds @ 3215 fps using 62.5 gr of RL22. Is it a 7mm mag? No. Is it close? Yes. I acknowledge that the 7mm Mag will beat it by a little bit in most ways, but I don't care, and neither do the animals I shoot with it. It's still an excellent caliber. I wanted something that most others don't have and I got it with the 280AI. Obviously it's not for everyone as the controversy in this thread confirms. But that's OK. We all have different tastes. If I had wanted a "standard" caliber that gave similar results I might have built a 7mm Mag, but that's not what I wanted. I have other rifles in "standard" calibers but felt the need to be a little bit different.
BP

Last edited by BP736; 12/05/12.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[Linked Image]

You know, flashing that picture around is like eating in front of company and not offering them any. laugh

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
dubya Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by splattermatic
[Linked Image]

Them Oryx are BEAUTIFUL animals! I hope to go to Texas and hunt one someday down the road. Congratulations!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Cory:

Considered a Kimber for next year but ran into a G33/40 action....

Have had a number of 280AIs and prefer them to the 7RM as you can get them a little lighter for the same recoil (say a pound or so)and they aren't as loud (assuming equivalent pressured loads). You can now buy the brass and it will get as close to 7RM velocities as you are going to get with a commercially available case derived from the 06 parent case. That is saying something.

Prior to Nosler publishing AI velocity, it was individual wildcat velocity reporting which leads to a lot of horseshit and bolt locking--currently going on with some larger cases... Some of my rifles did show pressure signs and some did not...notably a Forbes Ultralight 24 that I locked the bolt on, knocked the handle off with a rubber mallet, then humbly returned it to Melvin. Relying on pressure signs is a lot like divination.

My current 280 AI (Rifles Inc) does just what Nosler book shows minus the 2" for a 24" barrel. Look at Nosler 5-7, deduct 50fps for the test barrel and compare to the 270 (with approximate BC & SD bullets) and the 7mm Weatherby and you will see why it getting popular.

I have fireformed with a 280 case with loads, used the cow method, but mostly now just buy the Nosler brass....

Last edited by tomk; 12/17/12. Reason: speling

Defend the Constitution
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (1minute, 338reddog, 45_100, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 1beaver_shooter, 28 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,902
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.