Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a 1982 Vanguard Deluxe in 7RM that won't shoot for sh*t and want to rebarrel it. I've tried a variety of hand loads and this thing won't do better than 2.25"@100. If the throat is shot out of it would it be obvious to a smith? Realistically what am I looking to spend on this in total with a sporter contour barrel if this is the case?

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Little less then the gun is worth.
Usually around $150 plus the barrel is about average. may be more or less in your neck of the woods.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I think the Vangard is a metric thread ( the Howas are) most smiths won't/can't thread this. $150 to thread, chamber and crown would be a bargain even on a standard thread.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
It is a metric thread. 26mmX 1.5mm pitch.
It can be cut on an english lathe that has the capability to cut a 17 TPI.
it is only .0002" difference per revolution. or .0034" over one inch. typical thread engagement on a bolt rifle is right around 5/8" so very little issue.

If a smith can't cut a metric thread not due to equipment issues. i.e. he don't know how. Find someone else obviously he ain't willing to learn either.

I cut metric threads a few times a month. I change the gearing in my lathe, set the gear box and go. You just need to leave the half nut engaged the entire time, reverse the machine to get back to where you start.
That can be a problem if you are running on single phase machinery.

Last edited by KLStottlemyer; 12/22/12.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
KL is correct.

It is a metric thread. It is also a 55 degree rather than a 60 degree thread. Just grind a different tool up.

They are really put together tight. I thought I'd have to relieve the shoulder to unscrew the one I took apart.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Never heard of using 17 TPI. A lot of machines won't cut true metric gears. I have change gears but no idea if I can cut 17 TPI.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KLStottlemyer
It is a metric thread. 26mmX 1.5mm pitch.
It can be cut on an english lathe that has the capability to cut a 17 TPI.

Maybe, if there were such a thing.

Changing gears and cutting metric threads is pretty straight forward but does require some thoughtful planning on where to begin and end each pass. Foot brakes, jog buttons, dial indicators and the ability to walk and chew gun at the same time can be helpful when doing metric threads on a machine with an inch lead thread who's half nuts can't be disengaged between passes.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nicely put!

NRA Benefactor Member

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Oh lord..... Ok on a machine that is set up to cut metric threads properly, not the red neck short cut i suggested as a back up. You can put the machine in reverse flip the tool holder around and cut from left to right on the back side. This gets the tool off the part at the end of each cut. Then you back the tool out reverse the direction again (forward) and stop the machine close to your thread relief. dial back in, hit reverse (true reverse) and keep going.

There is more then one way to cut a thread you just need to think about it. Working around the features your machine doesn't have is the key.
And there are machines out there that will cut 17 TPI. Our lathe at work had the ability. and a CNC can cut any thread pitch you like. and a CNC lathe is more common then people think.
My new machine has change gears and a foot brake. So I can cut a true metric thread I just can't disengage the lead screw but I also have three phase and can instantly reverse my machine as well.

Last edited by KLStottlemyer; 12/23/12.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Wonder what Weatherby will rebarrel it for.Just thinking.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Off subject a little, but why doesn't anyone thread actions and barrels with a tap and die?

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
it's all about how much effort it take to cut to full depth in one pass, and keeping stuff aligned.
Taps and dies are good tools to have but I feel are completely unsuited for putting new threads on an action.. At least in the Gunsmiths shop. Machines are not rigid enough to do it properly. So you end up with crooked threads

Not saying it can be done but with the set up involved, the potential to screw up the job. The level of control you have with single point method. It just doesn't make a bunch of sense to me to use a tap or die.

Hell I don't even agree with using a die of a muzzle brake.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Call them and ask them. They have one of the most helpful customers service departments with whom I have dealt. (805) 227-2600

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I love this discussion. KL and Malm are right on.

I am not a gunsmith but I have three metal lathes in the shop. two are equipped with the standard 127 tooth transpose gear for cutting metric threads. I do not cut metric often, but when the need arises it really is a piece of cake.

With all the metric actions in the world, a guy that says he is a gunsmith and cannot cut metric threads does not measure up in my opinion.

Survivor of the 13th Original Colony, I escaped on December 17, 1968.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Huntinut
I have a 1982 Vanguard Deluxe in 7RM that won't shoot for sh*t and want to rebarrel it. I've tried a variety of hand loads and this thing won't do better than 2.25"@100. If the throat is shot out of it would it be obvious to a smith? Realistically what am I looking to spend on this in total with a sporter contour barrel if this is the case?

A borescope tells all.

Survivor of the 13th Original Colony, I escaped on December 17, 1968.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Cabriolet
I love this discussion. KL and Malm are right on.

I am not a gunsmith but I have three metal lathes in the shop. two are equipped with the standard 127 tooth transpose gear for cutting metric threads. I do not cut metric often, but when the need arises it really is a piece of cake.

With all the metric actions in the world, a guy that says he is a gunsmith and cannot cut metric threads does not measure up in my opinion.

I have never cut a metric thread in my life (except with taps) and I know a number of guys who have gunsmith shingles out that haven't either. For most guys, there just hasn't been the need. I had to make a new gear for my lathe so I could but haven't used it yet. I am getting ready to make some legs for my lathe 16x 1.75 I think. I guess I will have to learn!

NRA Benefactor Member

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I knew a guy in PA who built custom rifles on Howa 1500s, but
I dont think he is still in business anymore.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
There's a lot of stuff I haven't done either but that doesn't mean I'm going to turn someone away. Figure it out ask some questions and get the job done.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jdm953
Wonder what Weatherby will rebarrel it for.Just thinking.

I am willing to bet that it will be what a custom smith gets ..might be cheaper buying a new Vanguard then having them re-barrel.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Jericho
I knew a guy in PA who built custom rifles on Howa 1500s, but
I dont think he is still in business anymore.

I think Montour County rifles does Metric re-barrels and as far as I know is still in business.

http://www.montourcountyrifles.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (160user, 1minute, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,348
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.