Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's interesting how you went from not familiar with the Segway leveler to the Reticle-Tru being much better in the space of a couple of posts.

This is not a comment on Jerry's product since I haven't tried it. It may well be the greatest ever.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just viewing the Segway and its method of operation compared to that of the RT would suggest that the RT is the better tool.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman
It's interesting how you went from not familiar with the Segway leveler to the Reticle-Tru being much better in the space of a couple of posts.

This is not a comment on Jerry's product since I haven't tried it. It may well be the greatest ever.

You're quick on the uptake, mathman... laugh

I was familiar with the Segway Leveler and had handled one before. I just didn't remember the name, as I don't own one. When I saw it on Ebay, I reestablished the association.

If you ever try a Reticle-Tru, you'll like it. It's a lot more robust than the Segway Leveler, nothing to break.

DF

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Not cheap, but have dropped that on a bottle of wine on a dinner out. Have a spot reserved for the one I just ordered in my loading bench work table tool box.
sidepass

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have not used Jerry's tool. I have used the Segway for many years. The principle behind how the Reticle-Tru works looks like it would be superior. Either way, you are using eyesight for alignment. The Reticle-Tru looks like it provides more optical precision. Looking forward to trying one out.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
I have not used Jerry's tool. I have used the Segway for many years. The principle behind how the Reticle-Tru works looks like it would be superior. Either way, you are using eyesight for alignment. The Reticle-Tru looks like it provides more optical precision. Looking forward to trying one out.

Lining up the vertical part of the reticle with the Reticle-Tru slit is quite precise. Jerry recommends lining it up as close as possible, then moving one's head to the left so the left side of the slit is next to and parallel with the vertical wire. Then going to the right to confirm. IMHO, that is the magic of the divice. Then, it's easy to point the indicators to dead center, indexing on the bolt or other gun part. Just that simple. Takes longer to tell about it than to do it.

On a flat sided receiver, like a Rem. 7600, I hold a ruler against the flat side of the receiver, then index the side of the Reticle-Tru on the ruler. It's not hard to get those two lines perfectly parallel with each other. That works about as well as indexing on the bolt with a bolt gun.

DF

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Less expensive and it works!

Scope Leveling Tool

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
How about a rundown on how it works. It's still more expensive than the Ebay Segway Leveler, which is probably the best deal for the buck. I didn't say it was the best leveler, just the most leveler for the money, at $20.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 09/06/12.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
One thing about reticle devices with a bubble level, those things can break. And, it seems to me the goal is reticle alignment, true to the rifle. Some devices require external references, like indexing on a door frame, etc. The Reticle Tru is an internal system, not requiring external references, not sensitive to being "level". It is a tool for aligning the reticle with the axis of the rifle, level notwithstanding. IMHO, it's the elegance of simplicity.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 09/06/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I received my Reticle -Tru last week and have mounted a couple of new scopes with it. It's simple, quick, and easy to use. I won't wade into the unit price issue other than to say for me this thing is worth every dime for it's convenience as well as saved frustration. Great piece of kit.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Reticle Tru update: Jerry has been busy, boxing and shipping these tools. Manufacturing process is still Deldrin and CNC machining, no injection molded series quite yet.

I'm still using mine everytime I change out or mount a scope. Time saver for sure and a pleasure to use.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I saw his contraption in a magazine just the other day. Can't remember which one though. Maybe it was RIFLE, with articles on scope mounting tools IIRC>

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I haven't seen the article, but it is my understanding that JB did include the Reticle Tru in a piece he wrote on the subject. I need to get a copy and read it.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It was indeed in RIFLE.

There are several reasons the Sedgway device disappeared. Let's just say there were personal difficulties with the inventor. I've been promised one to test, and will do that when it shows up.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tools and gadgets for scope alignment are always cool, and like fishing lures, I tend to collect a bunch of them. It's good to see clever new products on the market. I'll probably get one to add to the collection. But in the end, I always end up squaring the firearm receiver in a holding fixture so it's level to earth gravity, and then I square up the reticle against a simple plumb bob that's lined up by earth's gravity. No matter what gadget I use, I always end up checking and correcting the results against the plumb bob.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The beauty of the Reticle Tru is no external references, such as level, plum bob, door facing, etc. are needed. The only issue is the relationship of the reticle to the axis of the rifle. That's it, the elegance of simplicity.

Edited to add, I just read the Rifle article by JB on line. As always, to the point, concise with good explanations of how and why.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/02/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree, I have more than one compact tool that does this task out in the middle of nowhere. Point I was making is that I always end up going back to the plumb line to check my work. I've lost count how many times of done this, no matter how accurate the field tool works.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Gary,

And that's all any of us can do.

What I do is report on the results of various products.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GaryVA
I always end up checking and correcting the results against the plumb bob.
Best smile

A piece of white string with a old rusty 3/4-10 nut hanging at 100 yards does the trick.
Everytime....
Best smile

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Originally Posted by GaryVA
I always end up checking and correcting the results against the plumb bob.
Best smile

A piece of white string with a old rusty 3/4-10 nut hanging at 100 yards does the trick.
Everytime....
Best smile

dave

Yeah, but hard to set that up in the shop. My padded vice and tools are inside and for me, I like to have the scope mounted, reticle aligned and a preliminary, in the shop bore sighting before going to the range. Jerry's alignment tool is a big help, taking a lot of the aggravation out of the process.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/03/13.
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,695
Posts18,494,204
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.