Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've been working towards reloading CF for a while now. Up to this point I've just been setup on a night stand. It's getting real crowded and I want to start loading for more cals. I've been throwing around ideas for a reloading/gun maintain/cleaning bench for a while and most of my ideas involved a lot of building/work and cash. Well today I decided to finally get something done. Here's what I came up with. It's a workbench from Harbour freight. On sale for $140. It is very sturdy after running a couple of screws in the wall behind it. I want to make some sort of quick detach system so I can move presses off on on it.

[Linked Image]

I also got a sheet of maple plywood to make shelves for storage above. The shelves are only 7" deep. That's sightly deeper than die boxes and deep enough for 2 #1 powder jugs.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by whitedogone; 01/13/13.

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
HR IC

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Got any pics of the setup bench?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Im liking that bench... looks pretty well made. What kind of wood is it made of? I may have to order one if shipping is not a killer!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
China Maple...lol
It's 110#'s Shipping might be a killer. At least it isn't all particle board. The drawer sides and bottom shelf are particle board but they seem pretty sturdy. If they fail down the road I'll get out my dovetail jig and fab some replacements.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That'll work, I was afraid it might have more particle board in it. Im diggin it, looks a whole lot better than the heap Ive been loading on for the last 15years..lol! Very tempted to order one.

Last edited by RRA223; 01/13/13.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here's a link. I got a coupon from a magazine for another $20 off.

http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch-workbench-93454.html

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That will be a nice setup when all is said and done. Thanks for the link. Let us know when it is all finished. You got me thinking about some upgrades to my setup. Maybe a post on a "show me your work area" is in order. Always learn from others ideas.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stevenautique
That will be a nice setup when all is said and done. Thanks for the link. Let us know when it is all finished. You got me thinking about some upgrades to my setup. Maybe a post on a "show me your work area" is in order. Always learn from others ideas.

Where is that?

- Henry Ford
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It's got to be a big improvement from where I started.

[Linked Image]

- Henry Ford
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Holy crap!!! you were in need of a bench! Thats a nice gobbler on the wall there by it though.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whitedogone
Originally Posted by stevenautique

Where is that?

I haven't started it yet, but like the idea of it.

I will start on up!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Copy cat... I got the same bench! I put a 3/4 top on mine for xtra support then thru on some polyurathane.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Cool, how long you had it? How's it holding up? Did you attach to wall?

- Henry Ford
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Harbor Frieght 3 yrs ago $119.00. No need to attach it, once I added the tools, 3/4 top and press it's a heavy bench. Lowes has a maple top that you might consider buying(approx $30). I did not think the existing top was strong enough for the press plus I did not like the holes in the original top. I cut to fit then screwed & glued it on... Pretty simple and a lot stronger.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you look close at pic you can see the top I added. The press is mounted on rt side, sorry for the lousy pic. PM me your email address and I'll send more pics if you'd like.

Last edited by slg888; 01/13/13.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
[Linked Image]
Got one similar at Costco several years ago.

Ted
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have a Harbor Freight store close by and I've been looking at this same bench for myself. Before I pull the trigger I was wondering if anyone has the Kobalt stainless steel workbench with lighting, and pegboard back and three drawers for a reloading bench? It is available at Lowes and I can't make up my mind. If any of you use the kobalt, 'd be interested in your comments. It seems like a very sturdy bench.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Nice work in converting something good and economical into strong and practical. Don't give up on the night-stand stuff, though, cause it is still very usable and portable. I have done a whole lot of case prep operations (no primers or powder) while in a motel in remote locations.

There was a good and long thread on the 'Fire about 2 or 3 years ago (somebody with good google-fu needs to help here!) that had lots of pictures and great ideas from MANY posters. Maybe you would be interested in doing that search yourself?

Anyhow, glad to see this Harbor Freight item discussed without the mention of "Chinese Elm".

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, It's coming together. This will be my little corner of the world. We had a 7'x8' area behind a 2nd kitchen in our basement that has been unused.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

- Henry Ford
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Looking good. I picked up my Harbor Freight loading bench today! Thanks for posting this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (10gaugemag, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 22kHornet, 2500HD, 22magnut, 52 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,571
Posts18,510,737
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.