Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I had a few boxes of Hornady bullets 20-some years ago that had a fair number with defects in the jackets.

There were irregular jagged splits in the copper, mostly starting at the front and headed back. The splits were not the straight ones that you see as a result of normal manufacturing, or designed to facilitate expansion. I took a few (I distinctly remember one that had a hooked/looped split; it looked like an upside question mark), ran a black Sharpie over the cracks to highlight them, and mailed them to Hornady.

A couple weeks later, I got the same bullets back in the mail, with a note that basically said "We see nothing wrong with them". crazy

I've always had a slightly sour taste towards Hornady since then.

GB1

J
JeffP40 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Mickey, they have only had one firing or two sizings, not two of anything overall. Just disappointed they will not be very reliable. I will keep a closer eye on them from now on.

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have some Hornady .223 brass I had no problems with but after I fired it I annealed it.

NRA Lifetime Member
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Me no believe.

Romey
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Redhill
Originally Posted by 2ndtimer
Not to be a total jerk, but in the current environment, when all ammo manufacturers are back ordered and selling all the components they can ship and can't keep up with demand, honestly, what do you expect? If you don't buy any more of their products, there are at least 10 people lined up behind you waiting for the products to become available. Kind of changes the priority of customer service in the real world. Sad.

I understand what you are saying about market conditions TODAY. But like what happened in the last ammo/gun scare prices eventually stabilize even though that is usually at a higher price then before the rush.

One of our LGS will ride the price wave upwards to the sky and usually is at the head of the wave. After the last go around of panic buying I went back to Sportsmans Warehouse and complimented them on their pricing. They were out of inventory just as much as the LGS but when the inventory did come in it was not priced at those sky high prices. The store manager said that they priced their goods to retain their customers as they believed the run on guns and ammo would not be sustained.

Six months after the scare was over last time, that LGS was running sales trying to attract customers back and with the conversations I had with other guys none were going back.

Now many believe that this scare is going to be longer and deeper than the last one but many lads have memories of some of the pricing and customer service problems and will not return. Me included.

We've got a couple shops like that here. They rely on New Clientele, after running off us old-timers with their "new-age" business tactics. Where they once had a lot of repeat customers, now they have to rely on unfugged newbies, until THOSE folks catch on to what they're doing.
It sure seems like poor business practice to me, but what do I know? I don't go in there often, I've taken to driving 2.5 hours to Whittaker's, or go to Bud's, and avoid that kind of crass greed.
Prior to these episodes, I'd have laughed at anyone suggesting I'd save money by driving 2.5 hours to save money. Gas ain't cheap, after all...............

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
JeffP40: I started using Hornady brass (from factory ammunition) for my 204 Ruger Rifles back in 2,004. I have not had a single split neck to date.
I am sure some of that brass has been fired 5-6 times and some used in two different Rifles!
I wonder if you are not using enough sizing lubricant or have a die problem.
Maybe even not chamfering the tiny case mouth enough might cause the splits - although that is a long shot???
I use Redding dies for most of my 204's and RCBS dies in one along with Imperial Sizing Die Wax for all.
That is a VERY high loss you are experiencing.
I am puzzled by your situation - and I hope you can figure it out quickly - with the price of brass anymore that is a notable loss.
Puzzling respnse from the Hornady folks you would think they would like to work with you and find out whats what for themselves?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder if loosey goose neck/throat dimensions might be coming into play.
Excessive sizing?
I'd start my trek measuring fired,sized, and loaded dimensions.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
COLDBORE; Are talking about 20 year old loaded Hornady ammo or just the bullets ? I started reloading in 1953 and have used Hornady bullets since then and brass cases as they have become available. I have not had any problems with their bullets or brass cases. I have some of their reloading equipment but most of my equipment is RCBS and Redding.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by bracer
COLDBORE; Are talking about 20 year old loaded Hornady ammo or just the bullets ?

Plain unloaded bullets.

I know they have a fine reputation, and should probably try them again, but that response was a real turn-off, and I am well-settled on my Nosler/Sierra/Berger choices now, so don't really have a need to change.

Good example of how a bad experience can steer somebody to different choices and affect business for many years.

When I bought my .204 a few months ago the only component brass I could find was Hornady. The price was a little high but decided to give it a try and i'm getting ready to do my 6th loading on this brass and have only lost 1 piece and that was due a fault of mine. I guess what i'm saying is I would buy it again when the need arises.

IC B3

J
JeffP40 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I'm sure there would be no problem with component brass, that is what the thing is. The ammo brass is not under the same warranty as components. ? I asked if it was the same brass and was told yes, but no warranty.
VG, I am sure it is not much used brass, it is splitting very easily, and on the first sizing or second sizing.

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JeffP40
I'm thinking it is annealed differently. Like you said, the color on the neck is very short. I'm still wondering why they would anneal differently for ammo or components. I can't imagine it is a cost thing to change something like that. I definitely learned something today.

I can believe they might cut the annealing cycle short on cases intended for loaded ammo. Not necessarily for cost reduction, but to increase production rate. Annealing may be a bottleneck in the process.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm gonna guess that the brass is all the same. It certainly wouldn't be smart to run two production lines.

Aim for the exit hole.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I don't even know if Hornady makes their own brass. They may be buying brass for their loaded ammo from one source and component brass from somewhere else.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,063
Posts18,482,503
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.