Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prarie6288
Yes, it was listed for sale within the U.S. only.

Shouldn't even be a question, then. Cancel the deal immediately.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have quit selling anything out of the country. 4 reasons:

1) U.S. State department regulations make it illegal to export firearm parts without a license. ANYTHING. Stocks included.
2) Many items stolen or "lost", and ebay will refund and backcharge you.
3) No way to verify if it got there; and ebay will refund unless you have signature confirmation it got there.
4) Filling out the customs form on line and then printing out in quadruple copies is a PITA. Even worse to do the paper form and then have a one finger typing postal clerk enter it into their computer while you wait and the customers behind you get furious at you for slowing them down.

Interesting thing is that many scammers have figured out 2 and 3 above. It is routine to claim on ebay it didn't arrive and get the item for free. I appealed one case, and got an electronic verification of the customs form where the person had signed for it and paid the duty. Ebay still backcharged me.

I thought I could still sell stuff to Canada, they're our neighbors and dependable, right? I had nearly a 50% loss rate to scammers in Canada when I tried it.

Bottom line for ebay sellers: Good business is not to sell out of the U.S.

dave

Last edited by ssdave; 01/27/13.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I concur. Do not ship overseas. Do not use playpal cause like previous thread says they support gun control. We all need to boycott any company that supports these outlandish ideas

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I will not ship outside of the USA period. I also use paypal on ebay, I thought they made it mandatory. But I always send as a gift so I am not giving them any money on my end. HaHa

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ssdave

1) U.S. State department regulations make it illegal to export firearm parts without a license. ANYTHING. Stocks included.
3) No way to verify if it got there; and ebay will refund unless you have signature confirmation it got there.
4) Filling out the customs form on line and then printing out in quadruple copies is a PITA. Even worse to do the paper form and then have a one finger typing postal clerk enter it into their computer while you wait and the customers behind you get furious at you for slowing them down.

Interesting thing is that many scammers have figured out 2 and 3 above. It is routine to claim on ebay it didn't arrive and get the item for free. I appealed one case, and got an electronic verification of the customs form where the person had signed for it and paid the duty. Ebay still backcharged me.

I thought I could still sell stuff to Canada, they're our neighbors and dependable, right? I had nearly a 50% loss rate to scammers in Canada when I tried it.

dave

i don't know when the State Dept. changed that rule, but a few years ago, it WAS legal to ship a rifle stock outside the U.S., as long as it was not to certain 'bad' countries. the only headache was the customs form.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Tikkamike
if you are asking the question the answer is no. Also stop using Paypal.. they support gun control

that is about the only way to get paid when shipping out of country. I use them all the time to buy and sell gun items.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ssdave

dave

You are full of ship on all 4 counts.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by kend
You have to use PP on ebay

Not true.

True -as of 16 Jan 2013, "eBay will begin ending on line auctions that do not list PayPal as the payment method".

That is what I got from them for listing an item last week with USPS MO for payment in the description.

For the OP - refund the payment, and use the "won't ship to" feature in the listing tools, eBay is supposed to auto block bids from those locations.

Last edited by AH64guy; 01/27/13.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Off topic, but ebay also encourages free shipping. That way shipping is included in the sale price and they get a percentage of the shipping too.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Hubert

You are full of ship on all 4 counts.

I'd be interested in your ideas on how to get around these problems, legally. That has been my personal experience, if yours is different I'd like to know how you deal with it. Particularly the confirmation of delivery part. In the cases I had, ebay required me to provide them with signed confirmation of delivery. When I couldn't do that, they refunded and backcharged me. Even when I provided the customs tracking # showing deliver and duty paid (to Canada) they still backcharged me and refunded.

Here's a link to the ATF publication dealing with the act that customs is using to confiscate gun parts being shipped out of the U.S.:
http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-11.pdf

Thanks for any explanation or help you can provide.

dave

Here's a link to one customs confiscation case; I've seen several similar ones in the past year on various forums:

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?6185-K98k-stock-seized-by-US-Customs-on-EXPORT

Last edited by ssdave; 01/27/13.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Off topic, but ebay also encourages free shipping. That way shipping is included in the sale price and they get a percentage of the shipping too.

They changed their fee structure, and charge you final value fee on shipping anyway. And, paypal fees on the total, including shipping.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Originally Posted by byc
You have to use PP on ebay

Not true.

True -as of 16 Jan 2013, "eBay will begin ending on line auctions that do not list PayPal as the payment method".

That is what I got from them for listing an item last week with USPS MO for payment in the description.

For the OP - refund the payment, and use the "won't ship to" feature in the listing tools, eBay is supposed to auto block bids from those locations.

I am not sure if you're saying that PP HAS to be an option or you can only use PP.

Straight from their site and yes no check or MO.

Payment options for most listings

For most categories, you need to offer at least one electronic payment or Internet merchant credit card option. This provides a fast and secure transaction for you and the buyer. When a buyer clicks the Pay Now button in My eBay, the listing, or email notification, they pay you immediately and the payment is processed through the option you've chosen. You receive an email telling you you've been paid and you can ship the item.

You can also offer payment upon pickup. Payment by personal check, cashier's check, bank-to-bank transfers, or money order isn't allowed for most eBay purchases.

You'll choose your payment options when you list your item.

Here's a comparison of payment options for most listing types. For details on each electronic option, click its name.

PayPal
ProPay
Skrill
Paymate
Merchant credit card
Payment upon pickup

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/accepted-payment-methods.html

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Make sure you actually have verified funds by PP before you think about "refunding" anything also.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
NO

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't deal with PayPal States or Overseas. Does PP protect your account number from the individual and his financial institution?
In other words: only PP knows your financial acct number and the account of the buyer, and they act as a screen for both parties.
I would really hate to have my credit card account visible like an exposed artery to some scammer OR his equally devious financial institution.

Last edited by Dons1; 01/28/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Verify the money is in your pay pal account. If so send him the exact amount back/refund. I would also suggust never sell anything outside CONUS.....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (1lesfox, 160user, 2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,016
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.