Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That would be a darn good one!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by BWalker
I had a 30 cal Broughton and it was a drill.
I've got Rock & Bartlien. My Broughton .243 shoots 70gr BK's into 1 cluster even on my bad days of shooting.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10generation
Any reason NOT to use one for a custom build? Apparently their wait times are far better than Krieger, Brux, etc.

Thanks

I've used more Shilen blanks for my custom rifles than any other brand. I've always had great luck with them. Accurate, easy to clean, decent price and wait time. There are a lot of great barrel makers out there. I personally consider Shilen one of them.

Best of luck.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I am in the process of building my 6 th custom , and have a number 3 Shilen .257, 1-10 twist to make my new 25-06. I have 5 other shilens that seem just fine to me, but I don't pretend to be an expert on the subject. One consistent thing I seem to hear is that there are some fine barrels made, and some not so fine gunsmiths. I keep using Shilen because they are the easiest to get at the best price, and they all shoot better than I do. One thing I alway keep in mind is that once I leave a controlled bench rest shooting situation vs a hunting set up just about any barrel shoots better than me! I live in the PNW and let's of guys are running Pacnor and I'm hearing more about the folks over in Arlington WA. A Lot as well. Happy shooting, goodshot

Last edited by goodshot; 02/05/13.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Its like chronos to me. They don't tell me much other than speeds. They sure don't tell you what your group is going to be. Maybe up close it does, but not out at 300 and beyond.

Jeff

Got to disagree with you on this ,Jeff

To the origional topic I have no problem with Shilen barrel's and have used many of them. I think its silly they have different grades but just buy the select match and most likely it will be a great barrel.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I think its silly they have different grades
+1, that's why I'll never buy a Shilen.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Douglas is the absolute last barrel I would use ....

Only way to get the accuracy Guarantee from Mr. Forbes at NULA, is with a Douglas....
Im thinking he builds a few rifles and shoots a bit....

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by slg888

I don't see the logic.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by slg888

I don't see the logic.

Its difficult to see logic when there isn't any captain.

Shod

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless there was a significant price difference between the "grades", I can't see why someone would buy a second tier barrel especially when you consider all the costs involved for a rebarrel job these days.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Douglas is the absolute last barrel I would use ....

Only way to get the accuracy Guarantee from Mr. Forbes at NULA, is with a Douglas....
Im thinking he builds a few rifles and shoots a bit....

dave

Thats fine and dandy. I still wont purchase another.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Its like chronos to me. They don't tell me much other than speeds. They sure don't tell you what your group is going to be. Maybe up close it does, but not out at 300 and beyond.

Jeff

To the origional topic I have no problem with Shilen barrel's and have used many of them. I think its silly they have different grades but just buy the select match and most likely it will be a great barrel.

So you've never dinged out a 600 yard or such group off the bench, noting your chrono readings, got all excited because its all single digit stuff mostly... really nice readings and such, a few shots exactly the same, only to drive down there and find that your group is well over MOA?

I certainly have seen that often enough.

What the chrono tells me is MV area for a few reasons I want to know that. Safety is one. Another is am I fast enough to be viable with this load?

Beyond that the ONLY way I work with groups is what the holes in the paper tell me.

No I don't get bugholes with higher n heck numbers but the numbers do lie at times. Enough so that I finally decided the only way to prove a load is shoot it at distance.

BTW been having a nice long discussion via PM with Butch. Learned quite a bit through that on some issues and was nice to learn about the isonite type treatings too in the course of that conversation.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I agree fully; the proof is on the paper. I also use the chronograph to satisfy curiosity as much as anything else. I have NEVER chronographed a load for any of the BR rifles. I do chrono the "F" class guns just to confirm that I'm in the velocity ballpark. GD

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Shilen has 2 grades of Stainless steel barrels. Match grade and select match grade. The difference is the select match bore and groove diameter have to be .0001 max difference. Match grade is .0001-.0003 from end to end. I would never pay the difference for a select match over the match grade for a hunting rifle. . The only difference in the CM barrels are lapped or not lapped.
I don't understand why the choices make any difference if you know what you are ordering.
As far as chronographing, I find my rifles shoot better at certain speeds. If I change powder or bullets[same weight] I try to attain the same speed that worked before. It usually doesn't let me down. Not a speed freak anymore, just dependable accuracy.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Quick Reply- not to just you butch.

I think the op would be more than happy with the Shilen for a hunting rifle. If he is asking here, he really doesn't care about splitting a fly's wing at 600m.
I see some of the same factless held beliefs with guys who run drag, circle track, and road racing when it comes to motors. Drag cars are tuned to run for finite amounts of time, at the best of their capability. Anything less is a turd. Circle track and road racers just need it to run hard and close to the same numbers, lap after lap, week after week. Doesn't make one any less or any more than the other, just what the driver/crew chief expext of them.
Same goes for belly and butt shooters.

Sean
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Jeff

So you've never dinged out a 600 yard or such group off the bench, noting your chrono readings, got all excited because its all single digit stuff mostly... really nice readings and such, a few shots exactly the same, only to drive down there and find that your group is well over MOA?

What the chrono tells me is MV area for a few reasons I want to know that. Safety is one. Another is am I fast enough to be viable with this load?

Beyond that the ONLY way I work with groups is what the holes in the paper tell me.

No I don't get bugholes with higher n heck numbers but the numbers do lie at times. Enough so that I finally decided the only way to prove a load is shoot it at distance.

BTW been having a nice long discussion via PM with Butch. Learned quite a bit through that on some issues and was nice to learn about the isonite type treatings too in the course of that conversation.

I shoot quite often at 1000 yards and beyond, if a load does not have single digit SD numbers it is unacceptable at these ranges. what might work at 600 yards with high SD numbers is disaster if you double the distance.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Butch and Jeff,
A topic you guys brought up earlier in this thread about cut rifled barrels lasting longer than button rifled barrels....this topic was discussed many times this past year on the benchrest circuit I was shooting in.
Most of the shooters were in agreement that current barrel steel among all the top barrel makers is of poorer quality today than it was say 5 years ago.
For example I have a 5 year old Krieger barrel 1-14" twist chambered in 6ppc that died at about 2000 rounds, the one I bought last year puked at 1200. Some claimed Bartlein and several others doing the same thing.
One of the best shooting barrels I saw last year was a Hart that Dan Dowling had that lasted the season

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

+1

smile

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Jeff

I shoot quite often at 1000 yards and beyond, if a load does not have single digit SD numbers it is unacceptable at these ranges. what might work at 600 yards with high SD numbers is disaster if you double the distance.

Yes, I totally agree, BUT if you were to take the very best numbers you have IE singles on SD, they may not equal your best group.

1000 and beyond even 900 IMHO, is like stepping into another world that many never venture into.

But to simply load until you find the best IE lowest numbers may not always give you the best results.

Granted the further out you go, the more drop from shot to shot becomes important, hence the desire for the single digit SDs.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm putting a #1 Stainless Krieger on my next lightweight 250AI. Oops, I meant a #7, they don't go lighter than that in stainless. Silly [bleep].

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (222Sako, 1badf350, 1234, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 67 invisible), 14,320 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,160
Posts18,542,828
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.