Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Had 4 On My Back..I'm Claustrophic As Well. I Always Have To Have Verset.

GB1

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I had to get an MRI yesterday and failed miserably.
About half way through the 40 minute procedure while in that tight fitting tube, I was overwhelmed with claustrophobia, I mean a total freakin panic attack and had to abort the procedure.
I will try again with some sedatives from the doc, but that experience really sucked.

Anyone else suffer from claustrophobia?

It's a fairly common problem.
Usually just some tranquilizers are used.

I've always just closed my eyes, tried to think I'm on some beach somewhere and tried to figure the cyclic rate of the "machine gun" firing nearby.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Valium is my friend for that, two of them with a designated driver to drive home.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Failed miserably on my first one. Didn't last 15 seconds. After that always had an open MRI. Still sucks but much better. On the other hand, how many of you have had a tunnel collapse on you? Changes your outlook on confined spaces.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Failed miserably on my first one. Didn't last 15 seconds. After that always had an open MRI. Still sucks but much better. On the other hand, how many of you have had a tunnel collapse on you? Changes your outlook on confined spaces.

I know a nice lady who has pretty severe claustrophobia. I asked her if she knew where it came from.

She was a German teenager in WWll and was a typical teenager. Lived across the river from a big manufacturing plant, IIRC Farben, and the bombers came over. Because she refused to give a "Heil Hitler" she was refused admittance to the air raid shelter and sought refuge with a family with a grocery store and a three story building above. They went in the basement, were bombed, and the building collapsed on them. She was stuck in the rubble for three days before she was dug out.
Similar to the collapsing tunnel you mentioned. But a pretty clear reason for having claustrophobia. Sometimes an etiology is clear. Sometimes not. It is a phobia, after all.

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to cave alot and got stuck one time. Ever since then i've gotten a little claustrophobic. I was suffering from migraines and had an MRI. I showed up and saw the tube and i said no way can i go in there. They rescheduled and i did the open MRI.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If it's a real problem, might be worth searching out a facility that uses a different configured machine. The tubes are the original, but they have another kind that kind of sandwiches you. Not pleasant, but not completely encapsuled.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 72 invisible), 3,485 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,385
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.