Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 36 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 35 36
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ken, amen to that

Last edited by Dons99; 02/12/13.

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I am Knighted and Sworn to uphold the Cross.

Anyone else here with me?

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by AggieDog
Im a christian and proud of it.
Pride cometh before the fall. grin

Actually "Pride [goeth] before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
All I want to know is if Christ made His first appearance 40 years ago would we all be wearing little electric chairs on chains around our necks?

Glad it was 2000+ years ago. A cross looks much better than an electric above the bed. It would make it tough on vampires too, as anything can be made into a cross. Imagine trying to put together a few mini-electric chairs to keep the count away...

laugh

I find you to be condescending and irreverent a lot of the time. That's not always a bad thing though. Jesus, Himself, was irreverent and condescending a lot of the time as well. That's why the religious leaders of the day hated him to their core.

This post cracked me up as I tried to envision it! I think it would have been far neater if a firing squad had been used. Then I could say that carrying a gun was a part of my religious freedom grin

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
How many ways into the kingdom of God are there?

There are two ways.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tbear
Are all the American Indians, Eskimos, & various aboriginals who never knew Jesus excluded? Are the followers of Mohammad & Buddha excluded who lived in accordance with their religion? I once attended a large church in Virginia where I live as a guest that has world wide missions to spread the word of Christ. I'm sure there are other churches of the same belief in the South. The sermon that day was that their particular church was the only path to Heaven. All other Christian religions were condemed to eternal damnation as well as Muslims,etc.
Jesus said that all who knock at the door will have it opened to them. Anyone of any religion or society who truly seeks God will find him. We aren't told how God does it, just that he does.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Without the virgin birth, crucifixion, and resurrection, the teachings of Jesus are meaningless. If you don't believe in the resurrection, you're not a Christian at all so his teachings are worthless to you." Rockchuck.

The "teachings" of Jesus contain many "pearls of wisdom" that can help anybody live a more contented life right here on earth.

The "truth" is just as true, no matter WHO speaks it.

Christianity introduces a man to a supernatural power that will enable him to fundamentally change himself.

Not "change his ways", but "change himself".

Apart from that Power, he is stuck with being what he is.

Which brings to mind a question; Were you a "know it all" BEFORE you became a Christian? grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by eyeball
Was the thief possibly baptized by the fire?
The term "baptism by fire" historically refers to martyrdom. He was not a martyr, since we are to assume that his execution was just, i.e., he was, after all, a criminal who had committed a capital offense as defined by the state. He wasn't being executed for his proclamation of faith.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Dons99

Thats some fancy figuring to get that thief baptized.
Even according to Catholicism, the thief on the cross didn't require baptism, as no one required baptism till after the resurrection of Jesus. Righteous folks who died before that were gathered in a place termed "paradise." Jesus saw the thief in paradise that very day when he released him, and all others there, so that they could ascend to heaven.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Dons99
Example! Not sure what you mean.
He means he doesn't take his instruction from churchmen, but only from the word directly.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by tbear
Are all the American Indians, Eskimos, & various aboriginals who never knew Jesus excluded? Are the followers of Mohammad & Buddha excluded who lived in accordance with their religion?
God is fully capable of seeing to it that his own are either born in a region where the truth is preached, or that a preacher be sent to where one wasn't before, or that a person from said region transport himself to one where the truth is in fact preached. Therefore your argument doesn't hold water since it requires a God who's incapable of providing the means of salvation to certain populations due to mere geography.

Remember also that narrow is the road that leads to life, and few there are who go that way, so the notion of vast numbers not having access to the Gospel doesn't seem so strange, as God knows ahead of time who are his own and who are not. The vast majority are not, and the message is entirely wasted on them to start with.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe on Christ, I am saved by his blood, I worship him. I try to do Gods work and try to walk with him. I am not successful at that, then again nobody really is.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The only baptism that is real is the baptism(immersion) of the Holy Spirit, which can't be defined in that worldly term or a contained in a worldly gesture.

Folks throughout history have felt that 'something', without a religion to define it and excepted without fanfare.

They are the lucky ones not having to debate bullchit...

οΏ½Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these"

Kent

Last edited by krp; 02/12/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are all the American Indians, Eskimos, & various aboriginals who never knew Jesus excluded? Are the followers of Mohammad & Buddha excluded who lived in accordance with their religion? I once attended a large church in Virginia where I live as a guest that has world wide missions to spread the word of Christ. I'm sure there are other churches of the same belief in the South. The sermon that day was that their particular church was the only path to Heaven. All other Christian religions were condemed to eternal damnation as well as Muslims,etc

We see in God's Word there is no other name than Jesus for salvation. Jesus clearly states He is the only Way to the Father. There are lots of stories of Jesus appearing to modern people informing them that He is the way.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only baptism that is real is the baptism(immersion) of the Holy Spirit, which can't be defined in that worldly term or a contained in a worldly gesture.

Folks throughout history have felt that 'something', without a religion to define it and excepted without fanfare.

οΏ½Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these"

Kent

You will see in Acts 10 after the Holy Spirit fell on a group of Gentiles that Apostle Peter ordered them to be baptized in water. This was in response an angel telling someone Apostle Peter would tell them ALL the Words of eternal life.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ColdBore
We will all die physically but not spiritually. The bible teachs that we will all be judged and our souls live forever either in Heaven (with God) or hell (seperation from God).

And medical science (which I can see, touch, and feel) teaches us that when the heart stops beating, and the lights go out, you're done. No more brain activity, no more "spirit", no more anything doing anything forever.

And your body rots. That, again, I can see and verify. And that pile of decomposing flesh isn't going on any trip to visit anybody or any being.

Show me a soul. What's it look like? I can show you a heart, and blood, and a brain. And I can show you what happens to them when you die. Not when you euphemistically "cease to exist in your current state on this planet", or some other flowery stuff. You die. And rot. And that's the cold hard reality of life and death.

The bible doesn't "teach" you anything, it merely makes you believe what somebody else wants you to believe. If you want to go that route, fine. By all means, have at it. But PLEASE don't tell me that I'm damned in eternity, or that I somehow haven't been sufficiently enlightened, or that you'll pray for me (expend those energies on somebody who believes that it will somehow do them some good, as I promise you that you are wasting your breath directing any of it in my direction).

Prove to me that any of it has happened, currently happens, or will happen. Until then, I'm in the isn't camp, and perfectly content.

And just to be clear, you never hear me starting a topic by telling them that they are doomed, or that they are less worthy because they don't choose to be a sheep, or that they are stupid for believing, or anything else. But yes, I'm getting quite sick of it always happening in the opposite direction. Stop preaching and being subtly passive aggressive in your constant attempts at "enlightening those who aren't able to see the way to salvation", you're not doing yourselves any favors.

I'm a christian, but I agree with your last paragraph.

We had one of these threads one time that resulted in a half-dozen conversions and two volunteers for missions in the Congo. I'm sure "we" did, but I missed it.

The main problem with lots [not all, by any means] of folks trying to get somebody else started on "the road to salvation" is that they try to start 'em from a place where they ain't.

It seems like they are afraid a man may find the "wrong" God, all the while claiming that there is only one God.

If a man has NEVER looked up at the night sky and wondered;"Who then made all this?", he is certainly in a small minority of the human race.

If he can get his head around the idea of a "creation without a Creator" and stick to that conviction with never a doubt of any size, then I reckon he was condemned to eternal ignorance from birth.

The idea of an ENTITY that was capable of "making all that was made", and yet "outsourced" the function of communicating with ITS creatures to other creatures just like them is ridiculous as far as I'm concerned.

Now, if that ENTITY was well and truly dead, then IT would require ITS creatures to spread ITS message, and they would probably write a bunch of stuff down in a book and preach from it.

But... being alive and eternal, Jesus initiated the conversation with each human when He put that question of "creation"in his mind.

THAT is where we ALL must start from in my opinion.

THEN, at some point in our journey, that book starts to make sense.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Ringman

Kent

You will see in Acts 10 after the Holy Spirit fell on a group of Gentiles that Apostle Peter ordered them to be baptized in water. This was in response an angel telling someone Apostle Peter would tell them ALL the Words of eternal life.

I don't define my faith through Paul.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have not read this entire thread, but I honestly do believe and I call myself a Christian. I also have noticed that among those who don't believe, those that I consider "good folks" still live by mainly Christian values and principles. There are likely quite a few people on this forum who are not Christians, but we wouldn't know it if we went solely by their actions. A large problem with today's society is the decline of those Christian-based values among the general population, both believers and non-believers.

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JPro
A large problem with today's society is the decline of those Christian-based values among the general population, both believers and non-believers.
Ain't that the truth. And it was intentionally engineered.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"I don't define my faith through Paul.

Kent"

Well put.

Page 10 of 36 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 48 invisible), 1,731 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,035
Posts18,520,982
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.