Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I haven't wanted a new pistol in quite a while, but after shooting my BIL's new XDs, I sort of have the bug again. I've always been more of a revolver guy, the accuracy and triggers of my revolvers have sort of spoiled me. I do have a couple cheap striker fire autos and just got rid of an inaccurate Model 96 40, so it's time to upgrade. I was suprised by the accuracy and low felt recoil of the little XDs 45, but the trigger left a bit to be desired. At first I was thinking along the lines of an XDM, XDS, M&P, or Kahr, but after playing with quite a few, I just can't get past the terrible triggers. Then the 1911s caught my attention, always wanted one and the triggers on some are similar to the revolver triggers I'm fond of. The problem is it seems there are dozens of them to choose from. Looking for some suggestions on a 1911 in the sub $800 range that's worth owning. Accuracy, stock trigger, and reliablity are my main concerns. Does such an animal exist or does one have to get in the 1k+ range to get a quality 1911?

Thanks,

loder

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
I haven't wanted a new pistol in quite a while, but after shooting my BIL's new XDs, I sort of have the bug again. I've always been more of a revolver guy, the accuracy and triggers of my revolvers have sort of spoiled me. I do have a couple cheap striker fire autos and just got rid of an inaccurate Model 96 40, so it's time to upgrade. I was suprised by the accuracy and low felt recoil of the little XDs 45, but the trigger left a bit to be desired. At first I was thinking along the lines of an XDM, XDS, M&P, or Kahr, but after playing with quite a few, I just can't get past the terrible triggers. Then the 1911s caught my attention, always wanted one and the triggers on some are similar to the revolver triggers I'm fond of. The problem is it seems there are dozens of them to choose from. Looking for some suggestions on a 1911 in the sub $800 range that's worth owning. Accuracy, stock trigger, and reliablity are my main concerns. Does such an animal exist or does one have to get in the 1k+ range to get a quality 1911?

Thanks,

loder

I will get hammered for this but I absolutely love my Taurus PT1911....its trigger is smooth, functions lawlessly, and eats up everything I can throw at it....it is very accurate as well

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I had a Taurus PT1911 when they first came out, and with the and with the exception of changing the full-length guide rod system to a standard spring and plunger setup, it was good to go out of the box. It functioned perfectly and was a nice pistol. I now have, among other 1911's, a Ruger SR 1911 and I think that it is the best buy under $800 that is currently on the market.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The 1911 is and always has been my favorite. I own the Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45. and a sweet lil Sig in .380. Both are great for holster carry. But on a summer day when I'm in shorts, tee shirt and flip flops, my 9oz Kahr p380 slides in my pocket real easy. I swear one day it's going to end up in the washer.
My only suggestion is go lay hands on what ever you are going to buy and see how it feels to you. I think we'll all agree Glock makes a pretty solid pistol. But I've never found one that didn't feel like a 2x4 block in my hand.

Hope you find a good one.

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Thanks,

loder

For the money IMHO Springfield Armory brings a lot to the table

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by jwp475

Thanks,

loder

For the money IMHO Springfield Armory brings a lot to the table

The Springfield "Range Officer" goes for $799 locally, and is a heck of buy for the money given how few 1911's are offered with proper target sights.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oregon45
The Springfield "Range Officer" goes for $799 locally, and is a heck of buy for the money given how few 1911's are offered with proper target sights.

This. I'm a big Springfield fan and none of my 3 have ever given me any trouble. The newest doesn't have a high round count but the others are over 2k and 5k (still not high in the grand scheme of things) and have run great. I don't have the RO, but would have gone that way if it was around when I bought my first 5" from them.

There are good 1911 options that don't have to break the bank. STI Spartan gets solid press as well and I'm sure others will chime in with more options.

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
You can buy a NIB 1911 for WAY less than $800 and then have a really fine trigger job done on it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blued Kimber Custom, either the standard Custom or Custom Target if you want adjustable sights can come in just under your $800 figure if you shop gunbroker.

Caveat: my first version Kimber Custom Target bought several years ago was absolutely perfect from the box, this second one I bought recently, a II version, shot way to the right even with the left windage adjustment maxed out. I had to send it back but Kimber fixed it for free, including free shipping back and forth, and now it's a great pistol. That's a sample of one so I can't say about the majority of their wares but some folks report that Kimbers can be hit or miss. I just mention this in case it's a "miss" they will make it right at no charge. Most folks seem to be really happy with their Kimbers, as I am.

The Ruger SR1911 is a good basic 1911 and goes for $699.99 locally, looking around online they could go for a bit less or a lot more depending on where you buy. The trigger on mine was excellent out of the box, accuracy was "good" but not quite up to the two Kimber Custom Targets. But then the Ruger is all stainless if that is important.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At that price point, you would have a tough time topping the Springfield Range Officer, and you would love the Range Officer.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are lots of choices out there, and most will work very well. I bought a Springfield "Loaded" several years back and it has worked reliably abd accurately. So has a Kimber Custom II, a pretty basic model. I have a Springfield XD that has impressed me with its accuracy, as has the "Loaded" 1911, so I may lean towards their Range Officer since it a reasonably priced package with most popular options included.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw one of the "new rollmark" Colts for sale, used, the other day for $750. That would be a sweet deal. IIRC I've seen the blued ones new for ~$820. No hesitation whatsoever on recommending a new Colt, if you can find one in your budget. The buzz I've heard on the Springer Range Officers has been pretty good, though. Out of the box it will have an adjustable rear sight.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tex -

Help a bro-tha out...what's the "new rollmark"

I picked up a Colt�s 1991 in .38 Super over the Summer and despite the configuration; it�s a very solid and VERY accurate pistol. I�m really happy with the quality. I�m wondering if mine is the �new rollmark�.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks guys!

You've got my interest peaked on the Range Officer, for now, that's my top contender.

loder

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Boococky
I will get hammered for this but I absolutely love my Taurus PT1911....its trigger is smooth, functions lawlessly, and eats up everything I can throw at it....it is very accurate as well.

You won't get any hammering from me on the Taurus PT1911. I've had zero problems with mine.

I've never shot a SR1911 or SA Range Officer, but the consensus from those who have owned them seems to be almost universally favorable.

Last edited by Armen; 02/12/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Tex -

Help a bro-tha out...what's the "new rollmark"

I picked up a Colt�s 1991 in .38 Super over the Summer and despite the configuration; it�s a very solid and VERY accurate pistol. I�m really happy with the quality. I�m wondering if mine is the �new rollmark�.

The "new rollmark" is actually about 10-12 years old smile The "old rollmark" read COLT 1991 in big crude letters, and most found them unattractive, even though they were usually solid guns. The new rollmark looks like this, with minor variations:

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have XD-40 Service model that I love, a Kimber CDP (although it is marked Pro Carry, it has the features of the CDP so I call it a CDP). The trigger on the Kimber is second to none is amazing. I also have a Ruger 1911 and it is a fantastic gun, shoots well and feels great but does not have the trigger of the Kimber.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Springfield Range Master is the best deal for the money. Second choice would be the new Ruger 1911, followed by one of the new Sig 1911 variants. You can't go wrong with any of the above, IMHO.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The springer range master, Kimber Pro series and even a lightly used colt should come in at your price point and all should prove very reliable with little to any work.

Trigger jobs by a good smith on 1911's aren't crazy expensive and make the trigger even sweeter.

Of course you may want to see if you can find an try a M&P that has the Apex DCAEK kit installed. They run under $80 and can be installed at home in about 30 minutes with only a punch and a set of tweezers. The instructions from apex suck but the YouTube videos shows the install well.

The M&P with the Apex kit still has a tad bit of take up but from there is glass smooth at 5-5.5 lbs and has a very short and positive reset.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Having just gone through this same exercise myself, I settled on the Ruger SR1911. A great buy for the money. ALL metal and made in the USA!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 48 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,664
Posts18,474,697
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.