??? So what's his favorite color..?
wink

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
I see real clarity of direction all throughout the Bible. Your history isn't entirely accurate, though some of your points are valid.

All one has to do is to truly believe that Jesus was the son of God and died for your sins. You could lie, cheat, steal, murder, etc...and you would share the same afterlife in Heaven with people like you that I consider very good people. Plus, there was no requirement to tithe.

There has always been a requirement for repentance. That is, stop sinning and start obeying God. You couldn't lie, cheat, steal, murder, etc and share the same afterlife in Heaven with any person. You always had to repent.

It never was a thing to change a sinful act into a non-issue. Even Moses, though he had a relationship of faith with God and was forgiven, had to face his sin. God told him that he could never enter the promised land that he was taking the Israelites to.

The Bible talks about those people that were wrongfully killed as getting their justice. It talks about Judgement day being a day of weeping and gnashing of teeth. What it DOESN'T say is that that weeping and gnashing will be done only by those condemned to hell.

I fully believe, and can support with the Bible, that even those of us that have been forgiven of our sins, will have a lot of answering to do.

You're right about Pope Gregory I and Purgatory. No argument from me there.

The Old Testament certainly had the requirement of tithing, and the Jewish people that lived the Old Testament traditions certainly tithed. The New Testament has several mentions of tithing, and tithing in action. I don't know where you get that there was no requirement to tithe....

The great news (Gospel) is that Jesus can redeem even the most wretched amongst us. That there is hope for us all, but make no mistake, there is Justice for us all as well.

Lawyers joke that Justice is blind and carries a sword. Well, God has a sword too, and is just. The law is the law and not even the King is above the law.

Once you repent doesn't mean you are no longer a sinner. Once a sinner always a sinner even if you are a repented sinner. Sinners still get into Heaven according to the New Testament once they accepted Jesus.

Tithing is not a requirement to get into Heaven.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by MacLorry
Originally Posted by Longbob
Paradise hmmm.... No one would have know about that section of Sheol if Jesus hadn't had brought it up to the thief beside him.

If you step back an look at what is happening then you may see how religion via the Bible (or book of your choosing) is the most vile and effective form of control that man has ever created. It is several levels worse than politics since it preys on a person's deepest most vulnerable fears.

The bipolar God of the Old Testament wasn't as effective in creating the followers so they got a little more clever and came up with a newer angle of more loving form of a higher power, Jesus. This did appeal to a far larger audience and still is today.

To keep that appeal going, the churches really have to downplay the BS, murder, genocide, slavery, sexism, and racism in the Bible and do their best to focus on the messages of good and eternal hope. Otherwise it would be difficult to extort the 10% tithing since most people can read and some even think for themselves.

It all comes down to a simple question. Is God as described in the Bible real or not? If you don't believe God is real then the only purpose for your theory is to try to either convince yourself or others that the Bible is all a hoax perpetrated by men. In doing so you free yourself from all moral values you don't like, which is a powerful motivation.

I'm not going to try to convince you that God is real and the Bible is His inspired word. What I will argue is that you can't know if the God of the Bible is real or not. As a Christian I readily admit that I believe the Bible on the basis of faith and faith alone. What I will argue is that what you or anyone else believes about God is also based on faith and faith alone.

If I'm wrong I am most miserable among men as the Apostle Paul teaches, but if you are wrong, well enjoy this life.

The God described in the Bible is petty and bipolar. I wouldn't doubt there is a higher being, but the Bible does a piss poor job in verifying that. There is as much missing in the Bible as there is bad stuff within.

Who said I need this line of thinking to relieve myself of moral values. It is possible to have morals and values without the need to rely on a Bible or religion. It would be very non Christian like of you to think other wise.

I am enjoying my life as it stands and don't expect anything beyond what I do on this earth. Which could be viewed as a more moral and honest existence. If I believe this is it, the big show so to speak. Then I better not murder, steal, etc...because I am being judged now and must live with the consequences.

But if I murder, steal, etc... in this life and then find Christ in prison which turns out to be false. Which scenario is now the more moral?

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by MacLorry
Originally Posted by krp
Concerning Indians, pygmies, monks in a cave, jews, muslims, hindus... ect

God, JC, Holy spirit have a bunch of names in just the bible... and a bunch more they will answer to throughout history.

If there's just one God then that's who everyone has believed in... they just don't believe in someone elses version.

I was once told I wasn't a believer because I didn't capitalize the C in christ... and so it goes.

Jesus is inclusionary, he was also KISS in his small part of the bible... if you have ever felt you are part of something bigger than just yourself... you recognized and named God...

See ya there.

Kent

That's a very liberal view of religion as in it doesn't matter what you believe, all are saved. Atheists would agree that it doesn't matter what you believe, all return to oblivion.

But the Bible teaches... "And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved." -- Acts 4:12

People who were never "given" the name may be judged by another standard, but there's no one like that on this thread.

That's because I don't follow religion... I believe Jesus was a real person and who he said he was. I also believe he is all things to all people...

I believe he said what he wanted to when he was here... I can't describe who he is in his totality and neither can Paul or Paul by default through Luke. I could take Jesus literally but he never wrote anything down... obviously on purpose.

I don't believe he forgot some stuff and had to make addendum later through men.

I appreciate other's perpecive and inspiration... but one person or groups gospel isn't the end all to God.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
I see real clarity of direction all throughout the Bible. Your history isn't entirely accurate, though some of your points are valid.

All one has to do is to truly believe that Jesus was the son of God and died for your sins. You could lie, cheat, steal, murder, etc...and you would share the same afterlife in Heaven with people like you that I consider very good people. Plus, there was no requirement to tithe.

There has always been a requirement for repentance. That is, stop sinning and start obeying God. You couldn't lie, cheat, steal, murder, etc and share the same afterlife in Heaven with any person. You always had to repent.

It never was a thing to change a sinful act into a non-issue. Even Moses, though he had a relationship of faith with God and was forgiven, had to face his sin. God told him that he could never enter the promised land that he was taking the Israelites to.

The Bible talks about those people that were wrongfully killed as getting their justice. It talks about Judgement day being a day of weeping and gnashing of teeth. What it DOESN'T say is that that weeping and gnashing will be done only by those condemned to hell.

I fully believe, and can support with the Bible, that even those of us that have been forgiven of our sins, will have a lot of answering to do.

You're right about Pope Gregory I and Purgatory. No argument from me there.

The Old Testament certainly had the requirement of tithing, and the Jewish people that lived the Old Testament traditions certainly tithed. The New Testament has several mentions of tithing, and tithing in action. I don't know where you get that there was no requirement to tithe....

The great news (Gospel) is that Jesus can redeem even the most wretched amongst us. That there is hope for us all, but make no mistake, there is Justice for us all as well.

Lawyers joke that Justice is blind and carries a sword. Well, God has a sword too, and is just. The law is the law and not even the King is above the law.

Once you repent doesn't mean you are no longer a sinner. Once a sinner always a sinner even if you are a repented sinner. Sinners still get into Heaven according to the New Testament once they accepted Jesus.

Tithing is not a requirement to get into Heaven.

That takes us to the "once saved always saved" debate. I'll get back to ya on this, as it's a good one, but I really gotta run.

You're right about tithing as it pertains to entrance to heaven!

Good discussion, Longbob!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
??? So what's his favorite color..?
wink

I'll fill ya in in about 2 hours, after my class. Promise!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I am enjoying it too, Hug. Just a little clarity so I don't come across as some bitter Christian hater or something. I work with some of the finest people on the planet and they are all Christians. I will risk a guess that the Christians that have responded in this thread would be in that same category, IMO.

There have been several times that one of them has said "I am surprised you are not a Christian" based on my moral belief system. I have always taken that as a compliment based on the intent of the speaker. The counter of that comment that I could say is "I am surprised you are." But that would not be the appropriate comment nor how I feel.

Being moral does not make you a Christian nor does being a Christian make you moral.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I realize you don't see a problem there. That is a microcosm of the greater problems with the Bible.

I have zero problems with one having faith in a higher being for whatever reason you choose like coping or general peace. Faith actually fascinates me. I cannot say that I wouldn't turn to Christ or something similar if I lost one of my children. Not sure how I would cope with that. A very close friend of mine lost her son and did exactly that. She had to think that he was in a better place otherwise she would have lost her mind (her words).

What perplexes me is that someone will quote me passages from a book that they are basing their deepest beliefs, but ignore the vile parts simultaneously.

I'm only going to address the last paragraph because I've been perplexed by that as well. I honestly never encountered that behavior anywhere except this forum.

I wouldn't put up with a muslim trying to use the koran to "prove" the koran, and a christian who tries the same tactic has just lost his audience as far as I'm concerned.

The bible can't be literally true. The fact that there are so many translations compounds the problem for a man trying to "ground his faith" on the book.So...that never worked for me.

Fairly late in life, I realized that I had never been allowed to NOT believe in God [or Jesus]. My well meaning old aunt that raised me had drug me to a little "Holiness" church until I was big enough to escape.

I run across folks who have never "dared to not believe". I wonder how strong their faith is gonna be when the rubber [as it always must, at some point] hits the road. Mine sure as hell failed me.

I had to surrender to the "Creator of the Universe",who ever he was, leaving behind my "childhood Jesus."

Then, the REAL, LIVING, Jesus introduced Himself to me as both the "Creator of the Universe", and the "Jesus of the Gospels." He did it in a way that was personal to me and left no room for doubt.

I don't know that I've met the Jesus of Paul's letters yet. I may be too dumb for that.

I couldn't help recalling from the Bible how John the Baptist, who probably knew Jesus as a third cousin growing up, and Peter, who had been His companion for a couple or three years and "knew" Him well, BOTH were "introduced" to a Jesus different from the one they already knew.

Jesus told Peter that "Flesh and blood had not revealed it to him, but the Father had."

As far as I'm concerned, this ability of the Father to reveal Jesus to humans is actually what Jesus founded His "church" on.

Not Peter [as the Romans teach]

Not a statement of faith [as the Protestants teach]

I've found nothing in Scripture to contradict my view, but this forum is certainly the place I'd go if I wanted someone to play "devil's advocate".

Of course, my "view" leaves no place for priests or preachers, and places no premium on intelligence or reading comprehension.

Hell........ even a child can understand it ! grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Nice post Curdog.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
From LongBob:

"The God described in the Bible is petty and bipolar. I wouldn't doubt there is a higher being, but the Bible does a piss poor job in verifying that. There is as much missing in the Bible as there is bad stuff within.

Who said I need this line of thinking to relieve myself of moral values. It is possible to have morals and values without the need to rely on a Bible or religion."

The problem with this is that one is only "as good as he wants to be." This is a problem common to most, in fact I have it as an major issue. ONLY AS GOOD AS... I.... WANT TO BE. This way I only have to satisfy myself and not some external deity. If one's moral standard comes from within oneself, you don't know what you'll end up with. I suspect that most Muslim suicide bombers do truly believe and believe that their own "internal moral code" justifies their act.

I suspect that ALL of us struggle with this in some way.

All the best,

tf

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The God described in the Bible is petty and bipolar. I wouldn't doubt there is a higher being, but the Bible does a piss poor job in verifying that. There is as much missing in the Bible as there is bad stuff within.

Being I answered the question that I do believe the God of the Bible exists and the Bible is His inspired word I have taken the time to do a bit of study.

The Old Testament was written in ancient Hebrew, which did not use vowels in the written form. It would be somewhat like reading and entire book written in abbreviations. The reader would get the correct meaning if they knew the subject, culture, and nomenclature well, but others would have a hard time figuring it out.

Add to that the fact that ancient Hebrew didn't have a distinction between causative and permissive verbs, and thus, a statement that "God caused some disaster" and the statement that "God permitted some disaster" would be written the same in ancient Hebrew. Much of the OT has been translated assuming the causative, but with the revelation of the NT, I believe it should have been translated assuming the permissive.

In human terms you might think badly of some parent who caused their child to fail, but cite tough love if you find that they permitted their child to fail.

What you think you know about God's character from the Old Testament is based on ignorance and much of it is not even your own.

Who said I need this line of thinking to relieve myself of moral values. It is possible to have morals and values without the need to rely on a Bible or religion. It would be very non Christian like of you to think other wise.

Values you select or make up yourself may be some "code" you live by, but they are not moral values. If moral values were up to the individual then everyone is living a perfectly moral life. Moral values are imposed by one greater than yourself, which is God. Dismissing the Bible as a hoax frees you from judging yourself by God's values.

I am enjoying my life as it stands and don't expect anything beyond what I do on this earth. Which could be viewed as a more moral and honest existence. If I believe this is it, the big show so to speak. Then I better not murder, steal, etc...because I am being judged now and must live with the consequences.

You can believe what you want and you may be right or you may be wrong just I may be right or wrong. Pascal considered this. If I'm wrong and there is no God, then I've denied myself the freedom to do as I want in this life, but death is nothing more than peaceful oblivion. If you are wrong, then you are free to do as you want in this life, but death is not oblivion and you will stand judgment before the one you have call bipolar and without the benefit of what Jesus did for believers.

I am also being judged now by human law as all people are. The difference between human law and God's law is that with human law there is no penalty if you're not caught, which leads many to break human laws and end up in prison. For those who find Christ there it's the best thing that ever happened to them and they are far more likely to stay out of prison in the future. Is that not better than living a life of crime regardless of the truth about God?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Watchman Nee told of a Chinese tad who went to a pagan shrine with his mother. Looking at the carved, weathered, cracked wooden idol, he theorized "That thing's not a god!"

He stepped outside, looked up at the sky, and said something to the efffect that "If there's a god, he's up there somewhere. That's the god whom I want to know."

When Christian missionaries came along years later and told him about God in the Bible, he exclaimed "That's the god I know!"

He also told of another man on a small island where paper was almost as rare as Mars rovers. When the went brought a scrap of paper along the ground, he picked-up a fragment of a page from the New Testament and read part of the passage about the gifts of the Spirit. Healing caught his attention. "That's what I'd rather do. How � ?"

When Christian missionaries came along years later, he was quietly going around ministering healing � by the Holy Spirit, in the Name of Jesus.

By the sovereign work of the Holy Spirit � not by reading the Bible or by listening to preachers � both men had come to know God.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm obliged.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by TF49
From LongBob:

"The God described in the Bible is petty and bipolar. I wouldn't doubt there is a higher being, but the Bible does a piss poor job in verifying that. There is as much missing in the Bible as there is bad stuff within.

Who said I need this line of thinking to relieve myself of moral values. It is possible to have morals and values without the need to rely on a Bible or religion."

The problem with this is that one is only "as good as he wants to be." This is a problem common to most, in fact I have it as an major issue. ONLY AS GOOD AS... I.... WANT TO BE. This way I only have to satisfy myself and not some external deity. If one's moral standard comes from within oneself, you don't know what you'll end up with. I suspect that most Muslim suicide bombers do truly believe and believe that their own "internal moral code" justifies their act.

I suspect that ALL of us struggle with this in some way.

All the best,

tf

You omitted and important paragraph from my quote which addresses your part about me being "ONLY AS GOOD AS... I.... WANT TO BE."

Here is the paragraph:

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would it be fair to say that you answer to your own conscience?

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, just wondering if there is more to your philosophy of life than that?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
This one paragraph of yours says volumes at how you view me as a non Christian. It states that I cannot be moral unless I am a Christian. Keep thinking that.

"Values you select or make up yourself may be some "code" you live by, but they are not moral values. If moral values were up to the individual then everyone is living a perfectly moral life. Moral values are imposed by one greater than yourself, which is God. Dismissing the Bible as a hoax frees you from judging yourself by God's values. "

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Would it be fair to say that you answer to your own conscience?

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, just wondering if there is more to your philosophy of life than that?

Yes, it would be fair to say that I answer to my own conscience, but not exclusively. I also answer to the ones around me in some form or fashion. And to a greater degree than a repentant murderer or thief, IMO.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by tbear
American Indians, Eskimos, & many aboriginal people existed well before the birth of Christ. So thousands of years ago people with no knowledge of Christianity should have transported them selves where?

Odd that this came up. I asked a christian freind of mine that some years ago. He assured me that they all burnt in hell because they did not know Christ. Seemed happy with the answer too....

Same goes for those in foreign lands who have never been exposed to Christianity through no fault of their own...they are all going to hell too...

Uhhhhhhhhhhh......

People like that really tick me off. My Bible tells me about a loving God.

One guy like your friend does way more harm by their closed minded ass hole opinions than a thousand can do teaching a loving God.

Read Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John and you will fing the God I serve.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm an ordained Christian Pastor who wants more and more to head in the direction of missions. In 2003 I turned down a chance for missions in Zambia. Wasn't ready. Oh to have that chance back again. The Bible says to wait on the Lord and that is what I'll do. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lets put it this way i don't go to Church, i don't live the Church Life Style, i cuss and swear, I have Carnival Knowledge about women on a daily basis and could kill anything that walks and not lose a min sleep over it. My question is, does this qualify me as a Christian or just a good ole country redneck boy?

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 18 of 36 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

473 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 47 invisible), 1,752 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,035
Posts18,520,982
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.