Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 36 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 35 36
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
ol Yahweh was a pretty heartless God, especially after became a Sky-God, after having left the Earth, and having served as an Earth-based God.

Jesus, his Son changed all of that. they were very different from each other, or so it seems.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by billhilly
God created us with the knowledge of what our choices would be though right? How is that different than preordination?

Foreknowledge is knowing, before occurrence, what will occur.

Preordination is deciding, determining, directing, before occurrence, what will occur.

Knowing (or at least being pretty dadgum sure) that the sun'll come up into the easterly sky every morning next week
won't have any effect on whether it does.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Semi-good Catholic guy here.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Longbob
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
Originally Posted by MacLorry
What it says is that no individual can be moral if the cherry pick or invent their own values. Anyone who judges themselves by their own values will always pass their own judgment and consider themselves "moral". That thinking has given us some of the worst despots in history.

Certainly you can be a law-abiding citizen in human society apart from Biblical moral values. In that regard you have accepted society's standards as your moral values.

Why many reject Biblical moral values is because they encompass sexual relationships and conduct. It's perfectly legal in our society to live with someone outside of marriage and even have kids together. In fact, there was this reality show called "All My Babies' Mamas" that almost made it to air where this guy has 11 kids by 10 different women. It's all perfectly legal as long as he provides for those kids. As a Christian I consider that immoral, but you may not.

Speaking of cherry picking, you are cherry picking your own Bible. You are ignoring the messages of slavery, sexism, genocide, murder, and rape exercised and/or endorsed by your God.

Bible don't indicate that any of that was endorsed by God.

Umm...from the above post.

Zechariah 14:1-2 Lo, a day shall come for the Lord when the spoils shall be divided in your midst. And I will gather all the nations against Jerusalem for battle: the city shall be taken, houses plundered, women ravished; half of the city shall go into exile, but the rest of the people shall not be removed from the city.

That's prophesy, not actual bible history.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Longbob, I'm sure you know that folks who have adopted the stance that the bible is without error and have it as a foundation of their faith have already satisfied themselves as to its apparent contradictions as to God's nature.Their answers only have to satisfy them as far as I'm concerned.

I take what I read, compare it to what I know, and if it don't fit what I know, I discard it.But............ adopting what is generally considered the meaning of a verse and discarding it 'cause it don't fit what I know is shortchanging myself.

A case in point is the "straight is the gate and narrow is the way that leads to eternal life........" teaching. I've always heard it preached as if we have to constantly be on guard, lest we stray.And the path is easily lost.

Now.. I've followed coonhounds through a briar thicket before. That deer trail thru the thicket is easy to follow 'cause it's narrow. And the walking is better.And the thorns don't scratch you.

This Christian life is the only easy life I've ever known.

The bible ain't wrong about the path, but preachers have been preaching it wrong in my opinion.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

It was specific example of an endorsement by God.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Curdog,

Point taken and fair enough.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by billhilly
God created us with the knowledge of what our choices would be though right? How is that different than preordination?

Foreknowledge is knowing, before occurrence, what will occur.

Preordination is deciding, determining, directing, before occurrence, what will occur.

Knowing (or at least being pretty dadgum sure) that the sun'll come up into the easterly sky every morning next week
won't have any effect on whether it does.

True but I didn't create the sun. If I had, I wouldn't expect it to buy into the notion that it had free will.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
None of the so-called contradictions that I've investigated have turned-out to be contradictions at all.

Also, I have half a dozen or more first-century Greek New Testaments and found 'em free of significant variation (indeed, so far, free of any variation at all).

(So much for detractors' cherished allegations!)

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are one I had in mind when I wrote this:

Longbob, I'm sure you know that folks who have adopted the stance that the bible is without error and have it as a foundation of their faith have already satisfied themselves as to its apparent contradictions as to God's nature.Their answers only have to satisfy them as far as I'm concerned.

My wife has a book that Dr. James Kennedy wrote where he took the most common "claimed" contradictions and explained them away.She said the book helped her.

Applying the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy, I only glanced thru the book.I'm like the old colored man regarding the bible;

It's them parts I DO understand that give me fits!

That business about lovin' your neighbor is a rough one.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
None of the so-called contradictions that I've investigated have turned-out to be contradictions at all.

Also, I have half a dozen or more first-century Greek New Testaments and found 'em free of significant variation (indeed, so far, free of any variation at all).

Who said anything about contradictions? I am quoting from the assumption that what is written in the Bible/s are consistent messages of bad behavior.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

It was specific example of an endorsement by God.

Not an endorsement, but a potential punishment as a result of judgement and punishment.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
It is an endorsement if I ever saw one, plus I gave specific examples of God carrying out murder. Did you read the Egypt first born thingy?

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I only read the initial post.

I am a Christian. I am not a perfect Christian; I may not even be a good Christian, but I am a Christian. I believe that the Lord Jesus Christ is my personal savior. I believe in Heaven and I believe in prayer I think that makes me a Christian.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Gee whiz longbob,you make it up as you go along. I never said anything like this:

"And you made my point that you can decide to be as evil or bad as you want just as long as you accept Jesus as your savior before you die then you get the ticket into Heaven."

This must have come out of your own misundertanding and ignorance. Oh, and perhaps your lack of scholarship.

Not only did I NOT say that, it is quite untrue.

TF

Last edited by TF49; 02/13/13. Reason: added comment

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
� I'm like the old colored man regarding the bible �

A young Negro preacher's powerful sermons came to the attention of his bishop, who was appalled to learn that the young preacher's only source was the Bible. To remedy the "problem," he sent the young preacher a set of commentaries. On a visit some time later, he asked what the young fellow thought of the commentaries.

"Oh, them's good books! Good books! A li'l dim in places, but Scriptcha th'ows a lot o' light in there."

That young preacher is one of my heroes.

"Good enough" isn't.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
First century new testament? Are these scrolls, hand written books, or mass printed books from a somewhat later time frame. Whichever it was still written by men not some super being. I have to say people on this thread are knowledgeable about their chosen cult and its central work of fiction. The way you people have ruined the campfire makes me think you could make even a mythical place like heaven suck. A great example of I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. Count me as a hell no on the original question.

"He is one of the Legion lost."

"You care for nothing but shooting, dogs, and rat- catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

So, a fella who believes the bible is the straight up word of god "investigates the "alleged" contradictions and finds that there aren't any. I'm shocked.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Now there is a good question

What year did the Bible come to be, and I don't mean written, I mean put together.

Good detail here will contain information on which books where choosen and when a meeting occured to change that.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
In a nutshell, the old testament shows Gods nature and absolute hate of sin. Thank God for Jesus and the new Covenant.

Page 22 of 36 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

467 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 47 invisible), 1,746 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,035
Posts18,520,982
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.