-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"It's entirely possible the music shop owner didn't fully realize the full value of the violin as well"

Since only one dollar amount is quoted in the OP it is also entirely possible that the shop owner was tryin to low ball and steal a gun.

Quando Omni Moritati
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not cool...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
"It's entirely possible the music shop owner didn't fully realize the full value of the violin as well"

Since only one dollar amount is quoted in the OP it is also entirely possible that the shop owner was tryin to low ball and steal a gun.

If the store owner makes an offer and the gun owner accepts the offer there is no "stealing" involved.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by reelman

If the store owner makes an offer and the gun owner accepts the offer there is no "stealing" involved.

We could haggle over terminology until the cows come home and get nowhere. What I mean is, and I know you have seen it, a shop owner offering an obviously uninformed customer a low ball price and touting how good an offer they are making. Call it taking advantage call it what you will and be happy. I'll just call it what I think it is.

Quando Omni Moritati
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MColeman
Originally Posted by g5m

Like an 'Antiques Roadshow' recently where a man had an old violin. He was offered $1000 for it by a music shop and had it evaluated at the show. Value was placed at $50,000.

It's entirely possible the music shop owner didn't fully realize the full value of the violin as well.

Of course.

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Why doesn't the business acumen "buy low, sell high" apply to gun shop owners?

Doesn't the seller have the responsibility to know what he is selling and have an idea of the value?

Not much excuse to be clueless about things today with the internet and all.

If I accept $100 for a $10,000 item whose fault is that? It was mine to sell at whatever I wanted.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kend
I stopped at a gun shop today on the way to the range. It's a small shop in a small town. I bumped into an aquaintance outside and asked him what he was up to. "Buying a gun and selling one", he said. I asked him what he was selling and he told me he had a Winchester 32 WCF lever action. I told him that I might be interested and to go ahead and see what the owner would pay for it and then we could discuss it. I milled around the store and bought a magazine for my 1911 and after a bit, this guy called my name. I went over to the counter and he said, " This guy is going to give me $700 for this rifle". " What would you pay?" The owner came out of his chair and his wife got in my face. I turned around and left. I don't know what model the Winchester was. It had a octagon barrel and the butt was crescant. Dang nice rifle. Too bad the seller is an idiot.

YES, too bad....it could have been handled better, just go outside the store.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

We could haggle over terminology until the cows come home and get nowhere. What I mean is, and I know you have seen it, a shop owner offering an obviously uninformed customer a low ball price and touting how good an offer they are making. Call it taking advantage call it what you will and be happy. I'll just call it what I think it is.

Yes I know that you didn't mean that the shop owner was actually stealing the gun but as long as they are both happy with the sale who's business is it besides their's?

THe other weekend I had a booth at a gunshow and sold a M94 that was made during WWII. I agreed on a price with a guy and I sold it. He later came back and showed me a USN stamping in the stock. Was this a rifle used by the Navy? Was it worth more than I sold it to him for because of that? I don't know but I would have liked to research it but I didn't feel bad or cheated because we both agreed on the price.

K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Truth be known, I was the first person he discussed the sale with, not the store owner. I wanted him to get a price from the owner so I could up it a hundred or so and we would both be happy. The guy had just purchased a new pistol from the store a few minutes earlier. Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Several ideas:

1. The music shop owner may not could have put any more than $1,000 into the violin

2. He may not have wanted to tie up more than that and

3. I'll bet the guy on the 'Antiques Roadshow' didn't reach for his checkbook to buy the violin for twice what the music shop offered much less the $50,000 he claimed was the true value. It is a TV show after all.

Last edited by MColeman; 02/16/13.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love it when store owners/workers think they are doing you a favor by letting you shop there.

I love it even more when said businesses go titts up.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My gun store guy is a straight shooter. He'll look the price up in a book and show it to you and then will offer up a price.

He came across an old lady that had a German officers uniform from WWII that she wanted to sell, her dead husband had brought it back after the war.

He went to her home, she asked 200 bucks for it and he said no...I'll give you $20,000, and did. It's now displayed in his shop.

True story.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, some of you boys really chap my a$$. What ever happened to treating people like you would like to be treated, pay a fair price and don't rip off the uneducated.

I stopped dealing with a relation's gun shop when the mother bragged about picking up a Parker double that was in an Ithaca box from a widow. She gave the widow the low ball price of an Ithaca: and 'stole' the Parker.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The store buying a gun generally will not pay as much as you or I if we want the gun because they are in business to make a profit - we just want it because we like them. If the gun if truelly worth $1000 according to the Blue Book you or I might pay that but a dealer can't pay that or they would never make a profit. So when they offer say $700 people think they're being ripped off which is not the case at all.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The store buying a gun generally will not pay as much as you or I if we want the gun because they are in business to make a profit - we just want it because we like them. If the gun if truelly worth $1000 according to the Blue Book you or I might pay that but a dealer can't pay that or they would never make a profit. So when they offer say $700 people think they're being ripped off which is not the case at all.

Exactamundo....afo one lurking on or around the premises looking to strike up an independent deal, you are basically doing it on turf they pay rent and expenses on. And yes, that includes the parking lot.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I all things financial........Caveat emptor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_emptor

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So, what would you have paid for the gun?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
No more than I had to. Which would have been less than 50% of the value I expected to get out of the item should I re-sell.

Key point being is I would have a very good idea of current values before I open my mouth.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
any time you are in business and run off a customer you are one less customer closer to going out of business . Gun shops stay in business by a return and loyal customer base. Most just can't afford to lose a customer over one rifle deal . This gun shop owner lost more on this deal than he would have made in profit from buying this rifle. You wouldn't believe the guys who started gun business around here who didn't last a years because of their chittie attitudes toward potential customers

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bea175
any time you are in business and run off a customer you are one less customer closer to going out of business . Gun shops stay in business by a return and loyal customer base. Most just can't afford to lose a customer over one rifle deal . This gun shop owner lost more on this deal than he would have made in profit from buying this rifle. You wouldn't believe the guys who started gun business around here who didn't last a years because of their chittie attitudes toward potential customers
Yep, I've seen lotsa gun shops go under because the owners were dipschits in my lifetime. If I'd had the gunshop owner in the OP get pissed at me as described I'd have told him to his face to go get [bleep] and then I'd have told every hunter/shooter in three counties to stay away from the uppity asswhole.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

393 members (007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 36 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,627
Posts18,474,141
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.