Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I've always been obsessed with moose. They just epitomize big game. In my mind atleast. I hope to somehow find the means to hunt moose in the lower 48 before my body gives out completly. Lets see some pics of your moose. Dead or Alive. Here are a couple pics I snapped of one in colorado season before last. We were elk hunting. I was easing up into a beaver bottom and thought someone tied up a horse right where I wanted to go. There were mounted hunters camped about 1/2 a mile down the valley. Upon glassing the would be horse it soon became apparent that it was a Bullwinkle! That just may be the coolest thing that has ever happened to me in the brush. I watched it for about an hour. Way cool! If anyone knows of a good moose prospect in the lower 48 that doesn't require tying up $3000 a year in "the system" give me a holler. I'd love to hear about it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Lets see those moose pics fellas!

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Shiras moose I ran into fishing , one of many over the years...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Heres another Shiras I photographed while fishing. If I have ever seen a 50 inch Shiras...this would be him...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Buy points in New Hampshire. Much less than out west.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Agreed JRS3.

Otter, For $15.00 you can enter our Moose lottery. (You still have time to enter) If you can not hunt this coming October for whatever reason just check the box that says "add a point". This way the following year your name will be in the system twice. My name is in the system about 12 times!

With our Tick problem, the amount of Moose up for grabs is down over 100 over past years. If we don't control the tick problem soon, there will be No Moose Hunt!

Moose fasinate me too and I spend my summers watching them in the North Country...of New Hampshire.
Maine also has a lottery hunt but last I knew you need to hire a Guide. Add $2000.00 plus for a good one, but Maine does grow Moose bigger than NH.

When your time comes, feel free to message me and I will be happy to help you. If you want to join the lottery now, simply google NH F&G. The Moose hunt page is there. You can read up on Out of State regulations.
My Family has 3 Moose to our credit. I have Moose steaks marinating as I write this and Moose chili headed to our Gun Club's meeting tomorrow night. I Love Moose!

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
We have a moose draw in WA, but I may expire before drawn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like them too, and they are my favorite big game animal. Just to know they are around is very cool. They are very tasty, too. I don't know if I'll ever get a chance to hunt them again, but I'm going to keep trying.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Regards,

Tom
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by ingwe
Heres another Shiras I photographed while fishing. If I have ever seen a 50 inch Shiras...this would be him...

[Linked Image]

NICE MOOSE! Thanks for the pics.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Yipes! Are there that many ticks up your way!? I never would have thought they could effect moose populations. I'd never survive there myself. If 6 of us go for a hike,I come back with a dozen ticks on me. My friends call me tick magnet. I do like the sounds of your point system though. I'm 50 now. You figure there might be hope of drawing before I'm all used up?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here's my 54 1/2 inch shiras bull from extreme W Montana in 2010. He was MUCH bigger in body (and antler) then any other shiras bull I have had the pleasure of taking apart. I really think he may have had some Canadian genetics in him. He was easily the size of my 16 hand quarter horse, where the other mature shiras moose I have seen killed were not much larger than a mature elk.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have put in for the moose draw here in CO ever since they started to have them. Don't think they will ever give me a tag before I croak.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Otter,

The ticks like Moose, not you. There are several different types of ticks. These ticks are almost always on Moose. NH F&G Biologist's told us that some of these ticks were found on whitetail, but rarely.

My Brother's Bull killed in 2010 was 6 1/2 yrs. old. He dressed a mere 550 lbs. His "rack" was 3 points. About 7" on one side and 12" on the other with a small 3" kicker. 3 points. This poor Bull was being eaten alive and never would have survived the winter.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have been putting in for moose in Montana for 35+ years now, without ever drawing. On the other hand, my wife drew a bull tag the first time she applied in 1988, and drew an antlerless permit about 4-5 years ago.

Every few years I get fed up with applying and book a moose hunt in Alaska or Canada. I may not die before drawing a Montana tag, but at 60 and Montana giving out fewer moose tags due to a population drop due to wolves and other factors, I am probably going to head to Canada again pretty soon.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Dog Hunter, that is one bad assed Shiras moose, nice job.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have been putting in for moose in Montana for 35+ years now, without ever drawing. On the other hand, my wife drew a bull tag the first time she applied in 1988, and drew an antlerless permit about 4-5 years ago.

Every few years I get fed up with applying and book a moose hunt in Alaska or Canada. I may not die before drawing a Montana tag, but at 60 and Montana giving out fewer moose tags due to a population drop due to wolves and other factors, I am probably going to head to Canada again pretty soon.

I had the same type of experience, unsuccessfully applying for years for moose tags in several western and northeastern states. In 2010 I went to Ontario and shot a moose. A guaranteed tag and hunt is available there for less than $4,000.00 if you want to be unguided and less than $6,000.00 fully guided. Either would include flying, accomodations, boats and motors.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 02/17/13.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Dog Hunter, NICE Bull! Great pic too. 45/70?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Dog Hunter, that is one bad assed Shiras moose, nice job.

Originally Posted by Otter6
Dog Hunter, NICE Bull! Great pic too. 45/70?

Thanks guys...That's actually a .450 Marlin: may as well be a hopped up 45/70. It dropped that bull like a sack of chit! It was awesome!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
DogHunter, that is one great moose!

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Here's one from 2011. Enjoy.

[Linked Image]

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
NICE! Where did you bag that big boy?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (12344mag, 204guy, 1234, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,813
Posts18,516,535
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.