[Linked Image]

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Bad picture of a good moose
[Linked Image]

Doesn't show much, but a 56 incher a little over 3 miles from the truck (bow hunt).
[Linked Image]

30something about a mile closer to the truck in a ton of snow (bow hunt).
[Linked Image]

Another 30something, different area...
[Linked Image]

Did that one the easy way...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Couple of Shiras.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Man I'm glad I started this thread! You all rock. Super moose pics everyone. Dead and Alive. Pour em on boys this is great.

Hey Kodiakisland. Nice! Looks like you need to be a logger as well as a butcher.

cwh2: Those are some super pics of some dandy bulls. I can't believe I was born here in PA. Of all the places momma could have had me,it had to be PA! I'm afraid if I ever went to Alaska I'd never come back.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I grew up on moose meat and ate/eat it every year. One of my favs. Some great pics in this thread!

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Otter6

cwh2: Those are some super pics of some dandy bulls. I can't believe I was born here in PA. Of all the places momma could have had me,it had to be PA! I'm afraid if I ever went to Alaska I'd never come back.

Everybody's from somewhere, but it is rarely a life sentence unless you let it be.

I was born up here, but grew up in Oregon. I like visiting Oregon and living in Alaska better than the other way around.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by Otter6

Everybody's from somewhere, but it is rarely a life sentence unless you let it be.

I was born up here, but grew up in Oregon. I like visiting Oregon and living in Alaska better than the other way around.

I hear ya brother. When I was 15 my grandparents and I drove to Eley MN,then took a charter plane up into Canada to fish for a week. It was SO hard leaving the north country. Even at 15 I was trying to talk the outfitter into putting me up for a season to work for him. Sounded like a fair trade to me at the time. Work for board so to speak. Well,he knew better,and Gram got wind of it as well. Skunked again! If my wife's folks were in better shape we could relocate. But,she doesn't want to leave her brother here alone to take care of them. If my girls were grown and on their own,I'd relocate. Maybe try a long distance marriage,lol. My oldest daughter wants to move to Rock Springs WYO right now. She says cyber school,hunt,and fish in that order. Well,maybe switch the first two now and then. Ah such is life. I'll just visit these places as much as I can for now.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My moose hunt didn't go as planned...but its hunting not killing as they say

[img:center][Linked Image]]

Fly-in Moose Hunting

Lloyd and Bruce fly in to the Alaskan interior to go moose hunting. They have a good hunt, and both manage to get a large moose. When the plane returns to pick them up, the pilot looks at the animals and says, "This little plane won't lift all of us, the equipment, and both of these animals--you'll have to leave one. We'd never make it over the trees on the take-off."

"That's baloney", says Bruce.

"Yeah," Lloyd agrees, "you're just chicken. We came out here last year and got two moose and that pilot had some guts; he wasn't afraid to take off."

"Yeah," said Bruce, "and his plane wasn't any bigger than yours!"

The pilot got angry, and said, "Well, if he did it, then I can do it, I can fly as well as anybody!" They loaded up, taxied at full throttle, and the plane almost made it, but didn't have the lift to clear the trees at the end of the lake. It clipped the top, then flipped, then broke up, scattering the baggage, animal carcasses, and passengers all through the brush.

Still alive, but shaken and dazed, the pilot sat up, shook his head to clear it, and said "Where are we?"

Bruce rolled out from being thrown in a bush, looked around, and said, "I'd say, about a hundred yards further than last year

Last edited by raamw; 02/18/13.

NRA Life Member. Illinois Rifle Assoc Life Member, USN,
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Ok this has been seen before but since it is likely the only moose I will ever take I will share again and my apologies for redundancy!!

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

My Alaska moose from 2009.....was an incredible experience and one that I WILL never forget grin

PennDog

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
raamw Now that's funny!

Last edited by Otter6; 02/18/13.

IC B3

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Holy points bat man! Thats a dandy PennDog

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Brad, nice view from the front lawn there.

Anybody know what would motivate a moose out into the sage....or is it that they're just passing through?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Yup, know the feeling well. I'm a moose hunting nut case, love to hunt them with different calibers to compare reaction to hits-(doesn't mean much as there are too many variables to quantify but it sure is fun!)
Here are a few over the years:

1999-30-06 180g @40y
[Linked Image]

2004-358 200 hdy @100y
[Linked Image]

2005-358 win 200hdy @250y
[Linked Image]

2005-300 win mag 180GS @75y
[Linked Image]

2007-444 265hdy @25y
[Linked Image]

2010-300WBY 180NP @60y, 338Ultra 225tsx @15y, 300WIN 180GS @70
It was an incredible year for us-7 day hunt, 3 moose in 4 days! Will probably never happen again, glad I was a part of it.
[Linked Image]
Great thread, can never get tired of moose "exposure"- keep 'em coming!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My first Montana Shiras from many years ago, shot with my .30 Gibbs and a 180 gr NP. He was right at 50" when I shot him.
[Linked Image]

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
That must be a heck of a meat pole those three are hanging on!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Just behind the house.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A little further north.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
MP4444.....how long and how did you get that moose out of the water??

and Buffybr......did you need a 30 Gibbs to shoot a moose at 50" away????? laugh

I wish I had moose to hunt often.....they are great eating and really cool animals......been a moose nut all my life as well!

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 02/19/13.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Don't even ask!!! The better part of a day using a canoe, atv, winches and losta rope. That was one tough moose- took 3 hits and ran over 75y before he collapsed, 2 broadside and one center chest.
On the 3 moose hunt, we shot 2 the same morning, hour and a half apart on different mountain sides and the third one 3 days later in the evening.
Was one helluva hunt all I can say, it had all the perfect elements, stars and moons aligned, everything went like clock work from beginning to end without even one hiccup-like I said a successful hunt like that probably comes around once in a lifetime- I'm really grateful, can't ask for more.
I realize how lucky we are to hunt them every year with an over the counter $60 tag you purchase before midnight of opening day.
IMO hunting them during the "call", depending on opening dates, is the most exiting as you can usually hear them answering and breaking things on their way in.
You moose hunters out there know what I'm talking about. You want to talk about adrenaline and getting the shakes lasting from 20 mins to 2 hours-hunt moose during the call!
I usually still hunt them-really like to get close, though not always feasible, get a super rush knowing a large animal like that is almost next to me, makes you feel really small indeed.
What tricks and techniques do you all use when after these giants.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Buffybr, that's one handsome moose you got there-doesn't even look like a shiras, more like one you'd find in B.C. Nice paddles!

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

412 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 2500HD, 43 invisible), 2,670 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,757
Posts18,514,859
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.