-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
This summer I bought a used Ram/Cummins from Mountain Home Auto Ranch in Mtn. Home, Id. It came serviced & with new tires.
This weekend it came time to do the 1st oil change since I bought it. Holy crap! The filter was put on with an air wrench! The filter is high on the right side of the block behind & under a bunch of stuff. It's only accessible from the bottom. A wrench that grabbed the bottom wouldn't budge it and there was no way to get a strap wrench on it. I ended up removing the tire and pulling out the fender liner & then needed a heavy duty pipe strap wrench to budge it. It must have been cranked on 2+ full turns instead of the required 3/4 turn.
I mentioned removing the tire - my electric impact drill wouldn't touch the the lug nuts. My torque wrench tops out at 150 lb and it wouldn't budge them either. I used a 2' breaker bar and had to jump on it to loosen them. If I'd had a flat on the road, there's no possible way I could remove them. Tomorrow I'll have to break the other 3 wheels loose and torque them properly.

I guess that's what happens when a shop hires a high school kid for service work and turns him loose without supervision. I sure wouldn't take anything serious to them. I wonder how high they'd torque head bolts?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Use a little neversqueeze on the lug threads.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Tomorrow I'll have to break the other 3 wheels loose and torque them properly.

Have you considered taking it back to the shop, asking them to "verify" the work, and to re-do it to a more resonable level of cranked-down-edness?

I generally avoid complaining, but you can do it in a way here that's not just "bitchin" for bitchin's sake, and let them know what their guys are doing. It might avoid that flat tire on the road scenario for somebody else if they address it at the source (their workers).

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The shop is 90 miles away so I'm not taking it back just for that. I do plan to let the service mgr know about it, though. The oil filter problem would have got very serious if the can had torn apart before the threads released.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Once in a while if I'm in a hurry I'll have the oil on one of my rigs changed in town. Without fail, when I got change it the next time, I have to fight to get the filter off, often to the tune of driving a large screwdriver through the filters, or using large channel locks and crushing the filter before getting it to turn. When I follow myself up on oil changes, I rarely need a wrench to get the filter off.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just went to change the oil in my new (old) daily commuter yesterday. About the stupidest spot for an oil filter, you can barely reach down with your left hand to get a partial grip on it.

Wouldn't budge, my filter remover do-hickie that has jaws of steel can't get in there (there's a mount on one side). From the bottom you can see it, but again you can't get any leverage and while I was tempted to stick a screw driver through it and try and turn it, I was afraid that still wouldn't get it as I still wouldn't have any leverage.

Next time I'm in town I'll have to look at one of those end cap filter removers.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
tq spec on the lugs is 165 so they are tight, but not that damn tight!. I would be looking for new lugs from them. If the truck has aftermarket rims on it, make sure they took the retainig clips off around the lugs used to hold the brake disc on during assembly, it doesnt allow them to be tightend all the way and will snap the stud. its a well known issue.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
cal74; I wasted my money on one of the plastic ones - then had to find one made of metal.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago, when Ford was selling Mazda pickups under the Ford name, I was looking for a minitruck. I took one look at that Ford and said no way. The oil filter was right on top of the axle where there was no way to get at it at all. I can't believe that an engineer would design something that stupid.

Likewise, a friend had a Ford Aerostar with a V6, made in the 80's if I remember right. He bought it new and sold it with 150k...still wearing one of the original spark plugs in last hole. The Ford shop said that the only way to change that plug was to pull the engine. There was no tool made that could reach it.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by acooper1983
tq spec on the lugs is 165 so they are tight, but not that damn tight!. I would be looking for new lugs from them. If the truck has aftermarket rims on it, make sure they took the retainig clips off around the lugs used to hold the brake disc on during assembly, it doesnt allow them to be tightend all the way and will snap the stud. its a well known issue.

Yeah, second this, I torque mine to 150# and carry a cheater bar in the truck in case I need to change a tire.

As for the filter, I remove the turbo elbow and get after it with gray Atlas gloves. Your's was way too tight. 3/4 turn after contact and check for leaks is good enough.

The dealerships are getting worse and worse for sevice, the quick lubes aren't any better.

Order filters and stuff from Geno's garage, its everything Dodge/Cummins and good prices and deals.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I read that the specs on this call for the lugs to be torqued to 135 NM. I suspect that some mechanics don't know that a newton-meter is NOT the same as a ft-lb. It converts to about 100 ft-lb

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just wait until you change the fuel filter.....

When you do, use this:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-7l-tech-articles/177185-6-7l-fuel-filter-change-how.html

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I haven't done it yet myself, but from what I've read the fuel filter only takes about 20 min if you remove the fender liner to get at it.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Bad info on the fuel filter, no need to remove the fender liner...

Dodge factory service manual wants 135 FOOT/POUNDS for 8 lug wheels, 2500 and 3500 models, single rear wheel.

I stand corrected..

Good info on dieseltruckresource.com if you have one of these trucks.....

Read threads on fuel filter r/r or you will have trouble getting it running.

What year Ram?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I haven't done it yet myself, but from what I've read the fuel filter only takes about 20 min if you remove the fender liner to get at it.

Can't remember for sure, but I thought you had an 06? My 06 and previous 04 are way less than 10 minutes on a fuel filter, and don't require any fooling with fenders.

Drain fuel, unscrew, pop out old filter/oring, pop in replacements, screw back on, don't gorilla-[bleep] it when tightening. Turn key on and let lift pump run for 30 seconds. Fire up and go. I usually swap it while the oil is draining during an oil change.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Mine's an 08 with the 6.7. In 06 and 04 you had the 5.9.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Mines a 2001.5!

Guess I should have asked what year your's was before I started spoutin off!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

315 members (204guy, 280shooter, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 38 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,851
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.