Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I might be going to Texas for business in April 2014. I've had a hankering for stalking blackbuck for some years.

Does anyone have any recommendations for free-range exotics, especially blackbuck? Options for self-guided are interesting as well. I'll be in the San Antonio area.

Thank you in advance.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not from Texas, so I have no personal knowledge other than what I have read. The vast majority of Texas is private land (90%?). I would be surprised if there is such a thing as free range blackbuck. Google an outfitter and you're off to the races.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, there are free range blackbuck hunts in Texas, I've done it and have a friend that guides a few of these hunts each year.......I sent him a link to this thread.

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AB2506
I'm not from Texas, so I have no personal knowledge other than what I have read. The vast majority of Texas is private land (90%?). I would be surprised if there is such a thing as free range blackbuck. Google an outfitter and you're off to the races.

Just because it's on private land doesn't mean it's not free range. In the hill country there are lots of free range exotics on private land that are not behind a fence.

Most likely for blackbuck you are going to have to go out to the hill country which is North / NW of San Antonio.

South of San Antonio in the brush country you really aren't going to find as many exotics as the hill country. You can find exotics in a lot of places but the highest concentration will be there. If you are searching on the internet try areas around Kerrville, Llano, Mason, San Saba etc....just to give you an idea.

You never know what you are going to see out in that part of the world that is free range. One day I had to stop and let a cape buffalo cross the road.

Depending on when you come there's a good chance that will be turkey season if you want to try for a turkey, and a fair number of places will be full of turkey hunters.

Last edited by NathanL; 02/25/13.

Otto is my co-pilot.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Guys thank you for your impute. I've only done a little duck hunting in Texas outside of Dallas, no exotic hunting. The geographic information is really helpful.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Trip timing is a little off in my opinion.

The blackbucks tend to rut in the fall, getting darker black hides then. The axis tend to be hard horned in the summer.

I have seen some free range black buck, but not as many as axis.

I would look for a turkey/hog hunt that time of year. Plenty of both.

Good luck and don't be hesitant to hunt on a large ranch that is high-fenced (not free range). I have hunted both and fences were not an issue if the pasture is big enough.
Hope you get a real recommendation. These are just my thoughts on exotics/spring hunting in TX.

stumpy

Last edited by stumpy; 02/25/13.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks again for the details. I'm sorta stuck working around a work trip for mid-April.

I'm not too interested in axis I hunt them all the time here in Hawaii. But blackbuck have been on my want list for sometime.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thought this thread needed a picture - smile

This one from near Fredericksburg
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's a beauty!
Chasseur, in the San Antonio area, I recommend you contact Mike Stroff IV of SOE Ranch (and Savage Outdoors) he has some nice ones and tell him I sent you to him. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
N
N
Thanks again for the details.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Reach out to MuleyMike here on the CampFire. He puts together various hunts including exotics in Texas. I hunted with him a couple of years back.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Boise
Thought this thread needed a picture - smile

This one from near Fredericksburg
[Linked Image]

Oh man that's a beauty!! The blackbuck is on my list in a few years.

He went over yonder way
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow. That is a beast. How many inches?
Nice cape.

stumpy

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thank you gents for information.

That is a handsome blacbuck!

Here's my best Hawaii axis:

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by NathanL
Originally Posted by AB2506

Just because it's on private land doesn't mean it's not free range. In the hill country there are lots of free range exotics on private land that are not behind a fence.

Most likely for blackbuck you are going to have to go out to the hill country which is North / NW of San Antonio.

South of San Antonio in the brush country you really aren't going to find as many exotics as the hill country. You can find exotics in a lot of places but the highest concentration will be there. If you are searching on the internet try areas around Kerrville, Llano, Mason, San Saba etc....just to give you an idea.

You never know what you are going to see out in that part of the world that is free range. One day I had to stop and let a cape buffalo cross the road.

Depending on when you come there's a good chance that will be turkey season if you want to try for a turkey, and a fair number of places will be full of turkey hunters.

This -

The Harper/Castell country has more free range exotics than I've seen anywhere. Lots of exotics also west of Brady headed to Angelo too and all the country in between -

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stumpy
Wow. That is a beast. How many inches?
Nice cape.

stumpy
?

He is 21 inches tall. The ranch owner had a 23 inch ram from his place.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
He really is a nice looking blackbuck.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chasseur...I live in the Texas Hill Country and there are plenty of free ranging blackbuck, axis, etc around here. Hell, I regularly see axis in my back yard. Most of these animals originated at the YO Ranch many years ago. It has become a pretty lucrative business for many land owners.

You shouldn't have any problem finding a hunt west of San Antonio during your trip. Google is your friend...you will find plenty of information. Also, you can check with the local Chambers of Commerce in towns like Junction, Fredericksburg, and Kerrville. They normally have lists of local ranchers/outfitters. Hope this helps.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Again thank you all for your advice!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have seen all kinds of animals when hunting in TX, hogs, axis,
I have talked to other guys who have seen ostrich, bison, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1936M71, 222ND, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,067
Posts18,482,557
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.