Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
If you let your body dictate, you are fugged! Bastid will come to expect being pampered... smile

Pushing 65 now, and blessed with good physical health. After retiring from a fairly non-physical job at age 62, I landed a half-time job as baggage/cargo handler for an airline. That "half-time position" averaged 60 hr/per week job for the first year or more, and was tough, especially since I was just 6 months out of rotator cuff surgery.... Brought my shoulder back into near 100% utility tho. And my best average physical shape in 30 years

Should have bought Excedrin stock.... smile

Fortunately, work-place attrition and a now nearly full roster has evolved into a now full-time job at 40 hours per week... plus overtime. And half way up the seniority list. I really wasn't planning on working this much!

My once -extincted little pot is coming back....

THANK YOU, BEER!

The down side is they expect me to be responsible....

Now, that short-term...whatever it's called.... That sucks!

Last edited by las; 02/26/13.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm 71 & think about all my friends that have passed. Miss them all. I have been to Africa three times, hunted most Western states, & Canadian Provinces. For almost 35 years I spent 100 days/year hunting & fishing. No weather condition was too severe to keep me from the water or woods. I still work part time job doing electrical design & have a full time job teaching security officers how to shoot & applicable laws & regulations. I have an artificial knee from a long ago football injury & a bad back. I do a lot of volunteer work with the Wounded Warriors, NRA, & SCI. I stay so busy I don't have time to dwell on my deteriorating physical problems. Stay active guys & enjoy what time you have left.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Keerist!

I'm 65 and this week my plans include going out in the cold and trudging 5-8 miles through 1-2 feet of snow and try to whack a coyote or two. You wanna be old you gotta be tough.

Rocky... What's with this shot my last big game animal stuff? I have a lot of deer I need to be shooting yet before I quit. Me and a guy my age I hunt with are fixing to build a geezer box close to the cabin at deer camp so we can get there in a wheelchair if necessary.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, the bursitis has ebbed. 'Sure hope this stays away for good now. It's interesting to read everyones posts here. This old age crap is nothing to mess with. I was down to 198 lbs. before winter, but have seen it creep up to 210 again. Still not bad considering I was at 290 lbs. before I started working on it. My goal is to get down to 185 lbs. and run a 5K this summer. I'd really like to get my knees feeling better too, as this will be the last chance I get to catch for my daughter. Ellie's graduating high school this spring, and entering her last season of high school softball. I'm the only bullpen catcher she's ever had, and it's been very hard for both of us to not share that bond any more. She will be going to college in the fall, and has all ready met her coaches, team mates, and her assigned bullpen catcher. Coach has all ready told me my catching duties are done, but it's tough for Dad to give that up. Hopefully, I can work with her this spring outside before her last season of 18U ball starts.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Staying active and working smart not hard tends to leave people in better shape as they get older.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
getting old does not always 'suck', but it sure ain't for the faint of heart. smile

Sam......

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by slg888
Reading glasses & having to piss every morning at 6am irritates me.

Sweet! Wait 'til it's 2AM, then 4AM, THEN 6AM! Then tell me about it. laugh

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's been up a month. I'm surprised I missed it! I have bursitis in my left shoulder from a rotor cuff tear. I've been told that the muscles holding the joint tear or get weak and the joint closes more than it should and you get pressure. You either rehab the muscles or take the weight off the joint. I had 6 months of therapy and do exercises, but it still hurts. Shoveling snow really hurts. Hey, I'm a landscaper. I have to dig. That and rake... That hurts too! I do exercises and take the hottest showers I can stand. I have a bad knee too and it's much the same. I have 3 different braces to wear. I have been told that the more I support the knee, the weaker it will get. I have a compression sock type brace, a brace with straps, and a brace with metal hinges and straps. I wear the brace with straps a lot out mowing and such. Then I take it off. Around the house, nothing. Icy Hot gel isn't a bad idea either. I get bad stomach aches from Advil but my doctor wants me to take 2 children's Advil a day. I do it when I'm hurting, which really helps but I take the morning one with a prilosec. I think the more you can do, the longer you will last. You just have to be careful.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tbear
I'm 71 & think about all my friends that have passed. Miss them all. I have been to Africa three times, hunted most Western states, & Canadian Provinces. For almost 35 years I spent 100 days/year hunting & fishing. No weather condition was too severe to keep me from the water or woods. I still work part time job doing electrical design & have a full time job teaching security officers how to shoot & applicable laws & regulations. I have an artificial knee from a long ago football injury & a bad back. I do a lot of volunteer work with the Wounded Warriors, NRA, & SCI. I stay so busy I don't have time to dwell on my deteriorating physical problems. Stay active guys & enjoy what time you have left.

We have a winner! This is it right here.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just turned 70 and nothing is as easy as it used to be. After the last hunting season closed this month, I went to have my knee that has been limiting my mobility checked--arthritis. Was told to avoid stressful exercise, which is OK as the bicycle and the rowing machine are my primary cardio aids, but the daily four-mile walks are now every other day.

That's about the only thing slowing me down other than the consulting contracts that keep me glued to my computer as opposed to piddling in the gun room. Doc did say that I should be thinking about when I wanted to have knee replacement surgery. I told him that I would check in with him again in one year.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
While I agree with you it's all relative. A friend of mine who I have known for almost 50 years recently told me this is better than having your prostate swell up so much that you can't pee at all.

Originally Posted by websterparish47
I don't mind the 6AM pees. It's those 12, 2 and 4 that bother me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slg888
Reading glasses & having to piss every morning at 6am irritates me.

Especially if you had to at midnight, 2 am, and 4 am.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Looks like there's more than one "midnight, 2 am, 4 am, and 6 am guys ..

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just hit 69 and life is good.

And all my rifles shoot .5s all day long. wink

laissez les bons temps rouler
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

At the age of 18 I was sure that I would be dead at 30 - of old age.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (808outdoors, Akhutr, 325wsm1, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 14 invisible), 14,042 guests, and 997 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,109
Posts18,541,947
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.