Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Zero will turn what could have been a good thing into another abortion.

They never miss an opportunity to screw America over.

Now, Hagel they say, has to figure out how to integrate women into combat with men. Who thinks they give a damned about what the citizens think about that.

Last edited by eyeball; 03/02/13.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Ok, got caught up here.

I was accused of spewing and running. First, I did not spew. Second, I did not run. I was WORKING. Maybe a foreign concept to some of you cube dwellers who apparently can post all day while "working".

I'm surprised, frankly, that I'm getting yelled at here. Except by Jorge; he's just drunk. But for the more rational here-- this is GOOD. A percentage of each department's budget?! Hell yeah! We've been talking about this for YEARS guys! And this is nothing.

As to the pain, individual and collective, buck up troopers. We need to take our medicine, it ain't gonna be fun, it ain't gonna be pretty, and this is just the merest hint of a taste. I've been taking my medicine for several years while government employees, of which I know several, looked around during this grinding recession with a "what, me worry? Nothing's changed for me!" look on their face. Well, welcome to the party folks. Be sure to get your dose of humility at the door, and there's "I can't afford to do that!" cards you can pick up in the kitchen to give to friends when they ask if you want to go out to dinner... go skiing.... get that condo on the beach.....

Anyway I'm beat from turning cranks all day and can't have a beer cause I'm ferrying kids all evening, but nonetheless I'm still saying, Happy Sequester Day! to all y'all.

I do not always agree with Jorge as on this very thread I took him to task for lumping another poster who has very different veiws than yours in with you. Jorge is an officer and a gentleman though, whereas you are part of the problem having helped open the door which has wrought some of the worst times ever in the history of American politics. No, you may have not voted for Obama in the recent election, but you voted for him once, and that's enough. The camel's nose was under the tent. Now the camel is in the tent.

Elections indeed have consequences and one of the 2008 ones was you being forever alienated from a good portion of the Campfire. You can now call me names and scream at me all you want, but it won't change your vote which you not only cast but were proud enough of to share.

Exactly right, although remember, it was a democrap Congress who took the term "gentleman" out of the commissioning oath back in 1976. As to the OP, it goes far beyond the obama vote in 08. Some of the most vehemently unpatriotic anti military posts EVER have been penned by this moron. That, and the fact he's a serial prevaricator.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Obama could, at the stroke of his little pen or by uttering the mere word, make these "cuts" nearly painless for all involved. He knows it too, but has openly said that he will not interfere. At this point, there is no one to blame but him.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SkyCop
I agree that we must get this countries spending under control, but I think eliminating jobs and putting people out of work is the wrong way to go about it.
It's precisely the right way to go about it if those jobs eliminated are non-wealth-generating jobs, i.e., jobs that only constitute a drain on wealth produced in the private sector, which all government jobs are. We saw this with the massive layoffs of US military personnel after WWII, i.e., a massive boom in our nation's economic productivity and a return to prosperity. But that was only the case because there was a free market to return to. In order to reproduce that, the government needs to take it's iron boot off the throat of the private sector in a multitude of ways. That's the solution. Not continuing to employ unneeded Federal workers, in a bloated public sector, on the backs of a shrinking and strangulating private sector.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Ok, got caught up here.

I was accused of spewing and running. First, I did not spew. Second, I did not run. I was WORKING. Maybe a foreign concept to some of you cube dwellers who apparently can post all day while "working".

I'm surprised, frankly, that I'm getting yelled at here. Except by Jorge; he's just drunk. But for the more rational here-- this is GOOD. A percentage of each department's budget?! Hell yeah! We've been talking about this for YEARS guys! And this is nothing.

As to the pain, individual and collective, buck up troopers. We need to take our medicine, it ain't gonna be fun, it ain't gonna be pretty, and this is just the merest hint of a taste. I've been taking my medicine for several years while government employees, of which I know several, looked around during this grinding recession with a "what, me worry? Nothing's changed for me!" look on their face. Well, welcome to the party folks. Be sure to get your dose of humility at the door, and there's "I can't afford to do that!" cards you can pick up in the kitchen to give to friends when they ask if you want to go out to dinner... go skiing.... get that condo on the beach.....

Anyway I'm beat from turning cranks all day and can't have a beer cause I'm ferrying kids all evening, but nonetheless I'm still saying, Happy Sequester Day! to all y'all.

Jeff, I've never interacted with you concerning politics and probably ought to avoid such now--but you do realize, don't you, that Obama was voted into office in 2008 by persons who made poor choices, and that had he not been elected we would not be in this sequester situation at all?

Further, had Romney been elected this time around, we also would not be in an artificially-manufactured financial crisis, as he at the very least had proven business experience at a governing level which would have made intelligent cuts like we have all been asking for.

What was your role in this? Your original post, and the one I quoted above, seem as though you are trying to rub people's faces in the feces of financial crisis, when in fact it is one that you helped manufacture. It would seem to me that if you have indeed suffered worse from the poor choices that you made in 2008 than you would have needed to, then you would be having sympathy, and even empathy, on those who are now going to suffer worse than needed due to the poor choices made by some in 2012.

Do you find all of this comedic? Do you recognize the role of a citizen's choices in affecting others? Do you realize that your poor choices have consequences which indeed affect others around you? If so, why not cut the fun-n-games crap and show care toward and leadership of those who will continue to suffer or are about to suffer unexpectedly?

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well put DD well put. Magnum man

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The sequester gives us...$58 million was cut in salaries and expenses at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives.

So there's that.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Google federal government agencies. There are so many ya won't believe it. They could cut half and noone on the Campfire would know the difference. bureau of indian statistics was one of them..... Who the hell cares. There was no bureau of 24 hr campfire statistics... At least they're not on to us yet..

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I am scheduled to receive my 30 day termination notice on Monday. I work for a federal contract tower as an air traffic controller. I have worked at this facility for 14 years. There is a list of 100 towers that will close. Air traffic is my career, it is all that I know how to do... With 100 towers closing and the job market being flooded with controllers, there are no jobs for me to even apply for. Our facility ranks 132 in traffic volume yet we are somehow getting closed down. There are lots of FAA facilities with lower traffic counts than ours that will not close. There are some with hardly any traffic with double the manning we have. They basically sit around in the break rooms for most of their shifts.
I have a wife, three kids, and my elderly mother that count on me for financial support. We have not been told if we will be closing temporarily or permanently. I am 42 years old and terrified for my families future. There is no worse feeling than having your life destroyed overnight. I look at my little girl and wonder how I am going to take care of her...
I agree that we must get this countries spending under control, but I think eliminating jobs and putting people out of work is the wrong way to go about it. Everyone here knows how much unnecessary waste goes on in our gov. They could have easily found ways to cutback without eliminating jobs. Obama could have taken one less vacation and saved all of the jobs at my facility.
This is all surreal... I am scared for my family and I don't know what to do...

Summers coming. Do you know how to use a shovel?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ihookem
Google federal government agencies. There are so many ya won't believe it. They could cut half and noone on the Campfire would know the difference. bureau of indian statistics was one of them..... Who the hell cares. There was no bureau of 24 hr campfire statistics... At least they're not on to us yet..
Do you think the nation could somehow manage to survive without a US Rural Electrification Administration? How about a National Endowment For The Arts? Department of Education?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ok, got caught up here.

Jeff a couple of things and then I'm going to leave this thread a lone.

Looks like I was mistaken about your voting in this last election. Shows you can learn from mistakes. Unlike others I do give folks a pass that made a poor choice the first time in 2008, if that bothers some oh well.

You have to see how low class for lack of a better description this thread of yours is. Like DD said, you are throwing it in the face of those affected by the cuts. Contrary to your perception not all of us gov't drones have been living the good life the last 4 plus years. Like many in the civilian sector I have not had a cost of living raise (normally an annually calculated adjustment) since President Obama took office, (and my Lord has the cost of living increased! fuel, utilities and such have shot through the roof under President Obama's watch) nor have performance based bonuses been awarded. Yet if one's performance was to show lacking than the previous year's a negative counseling would be noted in your personnel record. We've been two employees short in our shop for 4 years, yet still maintain the same amount of equipment under the same time constraints we did with a full shop. Due budget cuts and hiring freezes our hands have been tied. I'm trying to get you to see that my job has been much like most in the civilian sector.

You need to wake up and reassess your opinion on this.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It's just less of an increase, not a decrease.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Far too much waste in nearly every aspect of goverment and far too many on gov payrolls.

This has to happen, but I ain't gonna rub anyones nose in it. I think nearly all will be fine, they will have to adjust.

More than a few here rubbed JO's nose in his situation a few years back.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I agree that we must get this countries spending under control, but I think eliminating jobs and putting people out of work is the wrong way to go about it.
It's precisely the right way to go about it if those jobs eliminated are non-wealth-generating jobs, i.e., jobs that only constitute a drain on wealth produced in the private sector, which all government jobs are. We saw this with the massive layoffs of US military personnel after WWII, i.e., a massive boom in our nation's economic productivity and a return to prosperity. But that was only the case because there was a free market to return to. In order to reproduce that, the government needs to take it's iron boot off the throat of the private sector in a multitude of ways. That's the solution. Not continuing to employ unneeded Federal workers, in a bloated public sector, on the backs of a shrinking and strangulating private sector.

Hawkeye,
I find myself often disagreeing with you on trivial issues. However, on this issue you are spot on in your arguments, and the clarity with which you define the issue is refreshing.

During the time leading up to the election; Aug., Sept. Oct., most all of the major news outlets, even the most liberal all reported the same thing--governmental job growth (creation?) exceeded every other sector in our economy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The R's need to make a stand. Have Obama follow the law and submit a budget to be voted on. If that does not happen they should allow the government to shut down. Time to play hardball. Put on your big boy pants and do your job. But I know they won't.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
DakotaDeer and Matt,

The irony of being beaten up for essentially being politically incorrect and insensitive does not escape me, but here goes.

Please accept my sincere apology for any perceived gloating or reveling. Wasn't my intent. What glee I was expressing was because yes, it makes me happy that every Federal government department gets an across the board cut. Many if not most here have stated that this would be a happy day. I'm of the opinion that in the big picture, it is a happy day. It will get people thinking about the realities of what needs to happen, and what needs to happen, partly, is that a whole bunch of government employees need to find other work. Period! Simple as that.

So to the extent that Sequester Day illustrates and humanizes that, I'm all for it. Also, to the extent that it serves as a wakeup call to .gov employees that they might want to brush up the resume, or at least not treat their career as automatic lifetime employment, that's also a good thing in the big picture.

Please understand that for some of us, who were in positions that turned out to be not so good when this latest financial crises started in '07, it's been 5-6 YEARS of what you are MAYBE going to begin to suffer. I know "welcome to the party" sounds callous but again, if it's a precursor to getting people to see the scale of the problems here, then again in the long term it's a net positive, at least as much as it can be.

Anyone who truly reads what I have said over the last years could only agree that in general I'm very pessimistic about our nation's economic prospects going forwards. I do not believe we get out of this in one piece. I do believe that the standard of living that many have come to take utterly for granted will turn out to be a historical anomaly. Put more bluntly, the party's ending and it's not coming back.

Anyone who truly reads what I have said also knows that it's my belief that BOTH political parties, and in fact the electorate ourselves, bear responsibility for where we are. I reject the notion that this is Obama's fault. That's pure partisanship. We'd be in essentially the same position if he'd never been elected, because all the political class has been doing, R and D alike, is kicking the can down the road. Well, we are running out of road. And I am EMBARRASED for my brethren on the 'Fire who are so blinded by partisanship that they cannot even acknowledge what a disaster GWB was, how his dumbphuckitude led us to this specific spot in history, as well as what a disaster Obama has been. Truly embarrassed, and frankly, the dumbphuckitude of the Republican Right is one of the reasons that I'm so pessimistic about things in general. That most here see them as a solution is a sign of how truly screwed we are.

Finally, I again apologize for my callousness and lack of sensitivity. May I suggest a few things based on my own personal experience these last few years.

-cut back on anything optional YESTERDAY. You cannot afford to do ANYTHING. Don't kid yourself.

-figure out your next move and begin aggressively moving that direction. That may mean a very aggressive move towards retraining, or a business startup, or job-hunting. Do it NOW. Do not wait until you are ground down.

-if you can't hang onto your house, acknowledge that and don't let it keep bleeding you. A mortgage is a contract between buyer and lender. Within the terms, is explicit language specifying the consequences of nonpayment. They signed too! Giving the house back to the bank is within the terms of the contract. Business is business. Take care of business.

-stop believing that if only we vote Republican, everything will be ok. It won't. Nobody can deny that we've been given fair warning; the curtain is pulled back, we see the almighty Oz, ain't. Our political class are crooks who are beholden to things other than the citizenry's well-being. Realize this, and prepare accordingly.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Good point! However, this is really the issue. The Rs need to be singled out.

There are Rs. And there are Conservatives who happen to be Rs.

There is not a big difference between Rs and Ds.

There is a significant difference between Conservatives who happen to be Rs.

Even Rs only give lip service to Conservatives. When Conservatives speak out, even Rs become uncomfortable. The media picks up on this, demonizes the Conservatives within the party, and the Rs soon put pressure on them to come to the middle--wherever that is?--Oh yeah--its basically thinking more like the other side of the isle.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It takes two to tango and the republicans have been less than stellar.They haven't had an electable candidate in ages,hell Bush lost to Al in popular vote.The republicans have some serious issues and if they don't change soon,were going to be in for allot more bs.

Two gangs going at it and our gang is losing.

Jayco

S
S
I think most of these people have no idea of what they are talking about. They assume that all so-called government employees just sit around wasting the tax payers money all day. I never really considered myself a government worker, because I work for a contractor. I don't even receive any retirement or health benefits from my job, and I don't make nearly what a government controller makes. But, I guess I was wrong...

My job was not created by Obama in his great government expansion efforts. Back in '99, due to the amount of military, air carrier, and general aviation traffic, it was determined that a control tower was needed here to ensure the safety at this airport. I learned to control aircraft in the Navy. After getting out, I worked many different jobs in the construction field until I finally found this job. A job that provides for my family. A job that some of you would not be cheering over the loss of if it were yours. I'm not some GS14, past retirement age, just sitting around drawing a fat paycheck off the American taxpayer. I'm a hard working, blue collar worker.

I agree that government spending needs to be cut, even more than they are now, but it needs to be done in a way that makes sense. You think a $5,000,000 grant for studying the interaction of goldfish should be funded over my facility? If even a small percentage of the fraud, waste, and abuse of our tax dollars was reigned in no one would be getting a 30 day termination notice. I also agree that there are many government jobs that need to be eliminated as well, but I think some common sense should be used to achieve this goal.

You guys that say "good for them, it's about time they got a taste of what it's like in the private sector" are forgetting that the people that are losing their jobs are just like you. Just everyday people trying to make a living and provide for their families. The ones that deserve our hatred and ridicule are the politicians and higher-ups that make these decisions and waste all of our tax dollars. But guess what, they won't be losing their jobs. If anything, they will probably be getting a raise.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Dude,they don't care.There using people as escape goats to put the blame on one or the other...This is a No Win scenario for the republicans and will only make them look worse than they already do.

I'm trying hard to see there point(republicans)and they look like a bunch of slobs because the ball is in there court and they missed it playing "my way or the hiway" talking trash and wanting to cut seniors social security

They can't win that way and will be blamed for it.

Jayco

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10ring1, 49 invisible), 1,625 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,991
Posts18,520,194
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.