Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
GunGeek Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I really have a love for the �Clasic� pocket auto�s. I could seriously become a collector. Often they can be had on the cheap, especially the .32 Auto�s, and most are very good guns. I only have two at this point.

Astra 3000 in .32 & .380
[Linked Image]

Beretta Model 70 Puma in .32
[Linked Image]

(Not my guns, images poached from the internet; but my guns are identical)

The Astra I got because I just happened to find one and it�s a very rare pistol to begin with, but especially so here in the US. The build quality is just fantastic, and it�s one of the last pistols that came from the factory with honest to goodness slow rust bluing. Mine is SUCH a good shooter and it�s my daughter�s favorite pistol to shoot even though I can�t afford to feed the thing.

The Beretta is a fantastic little pistol. The trigger is pretty bad, but I can still shoot it very accurately, and I�m too lazy to do a trigger job on it. It�s a single action with an aluminum frame about the same size as a PPk/S but much lighter since it has an aluminum frame. Really makes a great little pocket pistol.

So anyone else have any favorites?

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Not my pic, but a spent a bunch of time with one of these in 32ACP as a lad.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Steelhead; 03/04/13.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've got a hankering for one of those Savages (1907) like Bristoe's, and I can't really understand why. Maybe seeing one in "Road to Perdition" got to me somehow, I dunno. I also like the 1910 Brownings quite a bit.
I really can't conceive any real use for one, but I still like 'em.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Always wanted an 03 Colt but not badly enough to buy a rusted up specimen. I'll keep looking. No interest in a Baby Browning or some such. That 03 Colt sings to me.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like my Beretta 'Tomcat', INOX, 32 ACP, Tip-Barrel ...

I also found two extended 10 round magazines for it and
some other accessories just for the sake of having them.

As for a "Classic Pocket Auto" I like my
Beretta Model 418, 25 ACP, (Vintage 1956.)

IC B2

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Don't know if it qualifies as a "pocket" pistol but I have a post war PPK in 32 that I am quite fond of. It is one of the NDS marked pistols.

Ernie

Last edited by EWY; 03/04/13.

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I've got a hankering for one of those Savages (1907) like Bristoe's, and I can't really understand why. Maybe seeing one in "Road to Perdition" got to me somehow, I dunno. I also like the 1910 Brownings quite a bit.

Life would be boring if all we purchased were practical things.

When it comes to firearms, I just buy those that catch my eye.

They're just toys to me,...shiny trinkets.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I've carried a 1910/1955 for a time, and it was a really great little pocket gun. They're very reliable...about the only criticism is the diminutive, almost non-existent sights. But that was in line with the mindset of the time, when most though it was a "belly" gun which would be pointed at very close range and not aimed. My last one was a mint condition 1955 and that thing shot lights out; would actually group right in there with most full sized pistols.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Well the Commander don't really qualify but it is the picture I had handy.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have never owned one, but one of my all time favorite guns of this type is the Remington model 51. I always thought they had the coolest lines.

[Linked Image]

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Never owned one, either, but I've picked up a 51 from time to time, and they feel so right in the hand.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the 1907's were and are masterpieces. and you have to love the incorrect "savage" with headdress on the grips. Very precise fit in all the parts. A pistol that is over 100years old, that would be banned in several states now, which makes them even more special.
there is a really good website on 1907's if you google it.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are superb pistols and no tools needed to take down. The fit and finish was right up their the best of the days and ahead of most.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a model 70 in 380 that I just loved and foolishly traded away. Still looking for another one! TM

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
the 1907's were and are masterpieces. and you have to love the incorrect "savage" with headdress on the grips. Very precise fit in all the parts. A pistol that is over 100years old, that would be banned in several states now, which makes them even more special.

That's a very intriguing vintage pistol!! Have they eclipsed to 'unobtainium' status or ??

http://www.vintagepistols.com/1907/index.html

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by XPLRN
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

That's a very intriguing vintage pistol!! Have they eclipsed to 'unobtainium' status or ??

http://www.vintagepistols.com/1907/index.html
They regularly come up for sale and often at reasonable prices. They are REALLY nice to shoot, especially in .32 ACP. Just uber-cool guns.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've owned a couple. My Beretta Model 70 in 22 had two barrels - the standard 3+ inches and another of six inches. With the front sight on the barrel, this was an effective way to get a longer sight radius. It was smooth, accurate, and reliable, but I could never get past its funky look and let it go.

I also had a Browning 1910 in 380. I don't recall why I sold it - maybe because of the grip safety...

OTOH, I do recall why I let go of the Savage 1907 32 ACP that I inherited - I was young and needed the money.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
The 1907 savage 32s and the 1917s hold 10 rounds, I have both they work very well, and shoot good also!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't see too many of these around. It shoots well.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The HSc is a really interesting pistol. The design is really actually �different� in several ways; they really did come up with some new and novel ideas. I love the way they break down, that�s slick. But the ergonomics are not so great, and the triggers tend to be horrendous in DA mode, and at best serviceable in single action. Sights are like the Browning 1910, almost non-existent�but honestly, I�ve owned the HSc and the 1910 and even those teeny-tiny sighs can be picked up and used without too much trouble. The HSc was never a big seller. But every HSc I�ve ever handled has been accurate and utterly reliable. H&K took another stab at the design with the HK4; but it too wasn�t really appreciated by the market. I found the HK4 to be a pretty cool pistol with its ability to swap calibers.

I wanna say about � of all the HSc�s ever sold were bought by the German army during WW II. The other � were commercial sales after about 40 years after the war until it was finally discontinued.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (1Longbow, 10ring1, 1234, 257wthbylover, 58 invisible), 2,252 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,126
Posts18,502,480
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.