Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
"My friend Jack Holliday used the .22 Varminter on a nice mean grizzly up in British Columbia and came back all n one piece. Using the 41 grain Sisk bullet loaded to a velocity of 4,500 feet a second he broke the animals shoulder on the first shot and put the next one in the chest cavity for a KO. These two bullets certainly didn't blow up on the surface as many claimed they would. Jack O'Connor, who was on the trip, opened up the bear for a firsthand look at the results and found that the lungs were well scrambled."
From The American Rifleman dated January 1950, authored by Carroll Lemon, " A Hotshot .22 on Game."
I have read of P O Ackley's experiments with tiny fast bullets, but this article was something new to me. Apparently the light, fast VS big, slow bullet argument is not new.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 22 might do, a 338 will do.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
It only works in Montaina

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Tell you what. You get into shooting range with a 22 and shoot a grizzly. I'll stand back (with a 338 Win. Mag) and watch. I'll report to all on the forum how you did.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by fishdog52
"My friend Jack Holliday used the .22 Varminter on a nice mean grizzly up in British Columbia and came back all n one piece. Using the 41 grain Sisk bullet loaded to a velocity of 4,500 feet a second he broke the animals shoulder on the first shot and put the next one in the chest cavity for a KO. These two bullets certainly didn't blow up on the surface as many claimed they would. Jack O'Connor, who was on the trip, opened up the bear for a firsthand look at the results and found that the lungs were well scrambled."
From The American Rifleman dated January 1950, authored by Carroll Lemon, " A Hotshot .22 on Game."
I have read of P O Ackley's experiments with tiny fast bullets, but this article was something new to me. Apparently the light, fast VS big, slow bullet argument is not new.

I reread your post. It seems that the cumulative IQ of mankind has risen over the past 74 years. Perhaps the dimwits that lowered mankind's IQ have been eliminated by the bears.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If someone wants to pick up the tab I'll volunteer right now to go prove a grizz can be taken with a .22 hornet.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Never having faced a grizzly in the wild, I will guess that at that moment whatever gun you are holding in your hand won't seem big enough. A typical eastern black bear at 150-300 pounds would be a fair target for anything that'll handily kill a deer, including .22CF's shooting a properly constructed bullet for the task.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GW708
It only works in Montaina

They do and have for many years.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by justin10mm
If someone wants to pick up the tab I'll volunteer right now to go prove a grizz can be taken with a .22 hornet.

In 1960 (at age 18), I was treed by a grizzly in a national park (I was a park employee). The previous week, there had been a terrible mauling of a ranger, the 12 year old son of another ranger and, a park visitor. That weekend, I went into town and bought a Ruger 44 Magnum (flat top Blackhawk) and started carrying it in an old WW2 backpack.

We'd run into grizzlies every few weeks or so, so I wasn't alarmed until it came toward me; I was hiking solo checking out a trail at the treeline.

Once treed for a few minutes (was it 2 minutes or 20? - I don't know, time goes fast when you are having fun), I shot the grizzly (probably a 400 pound female) 5 times from a distance of about 4-5 feet. She dropped from a standing position to the ground and I reloaded and fired another 5 times (probably not necessary). Now, if you want to use a 22 Hornet on a grizzly, go right ahead. I now carry a heavier handgun than a 44 magnum for back country hikes.

I'll be back in the same park in 2014 for a Smokejumper trail crew project and I won't be carrying a 44 Magnum. I learned my lesson 50 some years ago.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Where in the body were you shooting her? Ammunition used?

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm curious, how many rounds had you fired through said 44 Mag before the bear incident?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You .22CF on big game guys really need to get with it and move down to .17 cal.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The Ruger Flat Top Blackhawk was very light (aluminum grip) and I was shooting Norma loads (they apparently exceeded SAAMI pressure specs due to differences between US and European testing procedures - Norma later reduced the loads). When I got the pistol, I got a half box of the Norma loads (apparently the original owner only fired about 20 shots before trading it in).

I also bought a 50 round box of Remington loads that I shot in the St. Mary's (MT) dump that Sunday. They were stiff, but tolerable. The Norma loads were not very much fun to shoot.

So, I fired 50 rounds of the Remington loads in the dump and then loaded the Norma rounds of for carrying in my backpack. Certainly, 50 rounds do not constitute a large number, but from 4-5 feet, acceptable accuracy is not had to achieve, even if holding onto a tree limb with one hand! Remember, carrying a firearm in a national park was a felony (at the time) and killing any animal (regardless of reason) was also a felony.

I know of two other grizzlies that were killed in the park in 1960; one by rangers and the other by a trailcrew with dynamite - the Park Service didn't want to remove the bears from where the guys were camping in tents. This latter event (dynamiting the bear) resulted in the crew chief not being rehired in 1961.

In 1961, I had another encounter with a grizzly while fishing in a backcountry lake. I avoided it by wading into chest deep water of a lake just below a glacier and waiting until the other trailcrew members arrived - God, it was cold!!

I went on to be a Smokejumper in Idaho to get away from bear incidents.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'll refrain from getting into this time honored winter debate except to say, "...there is a distinct difference between what is possible and what one should do."

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well said... wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I could hunt grizz from an armored vehicle, I'd go .22 short

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot one of those Aluminum Frame Flattop .44 Magnums once - it was the most uncomfortable handgun I have ever encountered.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Where's Dober?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Well said... wink

+1.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
not many people here go hunting specifically for bear with a .22 CF.

what usually happens is someone is deer hunting with a .22 CF and the bear presents itself, either as a threat or a target of opportunity.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

325 members (1lesfox, 163bc, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,094 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,515,032
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.