Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Interesting how you could smack a prairie dog at nearly 500 yards with "only" 10x. grin

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Eremicus
So, you are talking about special forces units ? They have alwyas used wide variety of scopes.
My understanding that they all have problems from time to time. We've had a couple of posters point out that if your Nightforce develops any problems, it's a six month wait to get anything fixed. Nightforce has no big contracts with the military. Probably beccause they can't deal with problem scopes in a timely manner.
Again, which Leupolds ? The fixed magnification 10X, Mk.4 has been the Army's day scope since the 80's. It was developed to meet the Army's standards which no one could do at the time. That's the same story that led to the development of the new Mk.8's. Nobody else could make one that worked.
Until I see some carefully done testing that proves otherwise, I'm going to believe that Leupold builds as good a scope as anyone could want. Depends on which one you choose for what job. E

Nightforce supplies scopes to the Seals As well as Army Special Forces (MK13 rifle) and while it is not as big a contract as the M110 or M2010 it is still a substantial number of scopes. Couple of the reasons why Leupold got the contract for those two rifles probably include cost and the fact that Leupold is a proven supplier.
The end user doesn't get a lot of feedback (most times) into what systems they are issued, but I know in my unit when they have a choice you won't see a Leupold on the rifle. As far as the 6 month wait for repair the 2 we sent back (stripped zerostop) were back in 2 1/2 weeks (including a trip to Crane).

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've probably got about 2000 rounds through a Barret and you are right that it is hard to test scope tracking when you rifle shoots about 3 MOA.
I never had any issues with an M3a either. A M3LR cost my partner and I a couple of places at the FT Benning Sniper match when it took a dump.
Buddy of mine did the 5th Grp Level 2 course when he was in the 101st.
Regular Army snipers shoot a lot more then they used to at least here on Carson.

Last edited by dodgefan; 03/10/13.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Billy,

Thanks for the info.

I've got a Mark 4 10x on my 6.5-06. The adjustments have always been dead-nuts and very reliable. In fact the first time I cranked it out to 600+ yards, after sighting-in at 100, the 140 VLD's landed right where they should according to the ballistic program. Of course I'd tested the adjustments for accuracy by shooting and adjusting at 100, but it was nice to see everything work out so easily way out there.

Of course, I haven't taken any big game with the rifle beyond 163 yards, but have shot some varmints at longer distances. Impressed the hell out of a few friends while we were shooting prairie dogs a couple years ago. We'd either killed or spooked all the dogs inside 400 yards with normal PD rifles, so I got out the 6.5-06, lasered a dog at 470, cranked the elevation turret, and killed the dog with the very first shot.(Of course, I didn't have enough sense to put the rifle away after that--but did get a few more out to around 600.)

John,
Curious if you still have the Burris on your 6.5-06, and if so, how do you like it? If you have a story coming out on it, no need to spoil it!

Originally Posted by dodgefan
I've probably got about 2000 rounds through a Barret and you are right that it is hard to test scope tracking when you rifle shoots about 3 MOA.
I never had any issues with an M3a either. A M3LR cost my partner and I a couple of places at the FT Benning Sniper match when it took a dump.
Buddy of mine did the 5th Grp Level 2 course when he was in the 101st.
Regular Army snipers shoot a lot more then they used to at least here on Carson.

dodgefan,

Glad to hear the guys are getting more trigger time. We had a deal worked out with some of the 5th Group guys; when they or us got a range, the other would come shoot. I think it worked out better for us, as we got to play with some of their cool toys, shot up their ammo, and gleaned a lot of good info.

That's the schitz about the scope giving out on you in competition! I bet that was a lot of fun (the Sniper Match, I mean).

Funny anecdote about the Barrett and why a single group tells you little about a rifle - downrange we were sighting in our Barretts, and had some ammo that shot quite well (I honestly can't remember what it was, IIRC it was something other than RAUFOSS). I managed to shoot a 3 shot, 400 yard group that measured a little less than 2.5".... which I'm pretty sure I couldn't do with that rifle in a million more tries!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It looks like the ammo budget is going to be a lot smaller in the future.
The match was fun, good people and an awesome prize table.

Black Tip (AP) shot pretty well out of the Barret and I've seen M8 API shoot pretty well. Raufoss is about the best of the Army issued stuff. I always wanted to try some Hornady Amax out of it.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Eremicus
The Army does not use Leupold exclusively. Sniper rifles in our armsroom have S&B, Nightforce and Leupold scopes. I have been active duty for quite a while now and am fairly familiar with all of them (Not much time on a 2010 or with the S&B).

RDFinn I agree with Formidilosus that the Leupolds are the most problematic of our scopes. The MK4 LR/T 3.5-10 M2 that come on the M110 are the worst.

He believes only what he wants, this has been going on for years. Face it he's an older gentleman who has all the answers and he comes to this forum to try and influence others that he knows best. That is fact!

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That's sounds pretty strange to me, RD. I had the impression Formidilous ran a shooting school where he taught long range shooting skills and was a former military sniper.
I recall him saying that one of the Nightforce scopes he has run has been used a great deal and that it had been his most problem free scope, but I don't recall him claiming that they are basically problem free as a brand. Then, of course, we have the posters who complained that they couldn't get their scopes fixed in any less than six months. Nightforce advised them against sending them in for minor repairs.
I also recall he had excellent service from some of the Leupolds he's seen used.
The bottom line is that all of these guys have seen a few scopes used. Some have had problems. But you can't make any claim that one is better than the other until they have been tested under controled conditions. After all, Leupolds have been used extensively by the US Army since the mid 80's. So, if one fails, just what kind of use did it have before it failed ? And how did this compare to the others ? Only careful testing can determine this. E

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
I've got a couple of Leupold MK 4 LRT's in 10 x40 that I sure like for LR shooting. How well regarded were they by our service users? Magnum man

If you are talking about the old M3A then us older guys liked it, most of the younger guys have never used one. The MK4 M3LR took over for it early 2000 timeframe.

dodgefan both of mine have M3 dials and are Mk IV 10 x40 as marked neither has an A or LR after the M3 on the dials or scope that I can see. The one on my 308 has a mil dot reticle and the turret says 308 M marked out to 1000 yds. Leupold CS told me it was calibrated for 168 bthp's with a bc of .476 at 2650 fps at sea level. the one on the 30-338 turret says 300 win mag M3 marked out to 1200 meters with a duplex crosshair and is supposed to calibrated with 190 gr bthp with a .496 bc at 2900fps at sea level. from what little 500 to 1000 yd shooting I do they are close but I don't shoot at sea level and the velocity of my loads are different than idealized.I only have about $450 each in them but still think I did ok for the money. Any add'n info you have on them is appreciated if you will share it. Magnum Man

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's sounds pretty strange to me, RD. I had the impression Formidilous ran a shooting school where he taught long range shooting skills and was a former military sniper.
E

Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Most of my observations are from 8 years as a US military duty slotted sniper, owner and chief instructor of a firearms training company, 3-Gun and precision rifle tactical competitor, and a fanatical hunter.

E, stop. Please. You know nothing of military sniping or sniper equipment.

These are the Leupolds issued in the military.

Ultra M3A (or MK4) 10x40
MK4 LR M3 3.5-10x40
MK4 4.5-14x50 M1
TS-30 A2 3�9�36
MK8 1.1-8x24 CQBSS
MK4 34mm 6.5-20x50

There are/were a few others in limited numbers.

The only ones that don't have consistent problems are the fixed 10x, the MK8 CQBSS, and the new 34mm 6.5-20x50.

The rest fail at an unacceptable rate for military sniper use.

Your statement about Nightforce's military contracts and repair backlog is false. They have, and have had, several contracts within USSOCOM, NAVSPECWAR, and USASOC. They currently have one worth 25.8 million dollars.

They do have a huge backlog across the board with their optics because they are selling every single scope they can make. It has nothing to do with repairs.

I have spent 7 years as a military duty slotted sniper. I have been issued, used, and shot every scope mentioned in this thread. I have seen the variable Leupolds fail at around 25-30% rate. That is- it is not uncommon to have 2 or 3 variable power Leupolds out of 10 develop issues when used hard. I have seen both S&B and Premier scopes have issues (granted there have been very few). I have never seen a NF fail (including the one with the bullet through it). I'm sure they break like all things made, but I would bet they have the lowest failure rate of any US issued sniper scope.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Magnum_Man
Most of my experience with Leupold has been with military issue gear. I've only owned 3 leupolds personnally. The M3A is a 30mm tube 1 MOA elevation 1/2 MOA windage fixed 10X that was built like a tank.
We pretty much quit using them in late 03 when we got the M3LR 3.5-10X scopes in to replace them. I used the M3A in sniper school, but when I deployed to Afghanistan I had an M3LR mounted up.
I've seen multiple BDC knobs for them M852, 118 Special Ball and A191 and they didn't match our ammo/gun combo either. We were taught (at that time) to dial the range +- clicks to get centered hits. An 800 meter target might be 8 + 1 for example.
Today we use Mils or MOA for data depending on the scope. The Army finally figured out having the reticle and the knobs match made sense and the newest scopes are Mil/Mil.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thank you dodgefan, the clicks are the same value on mine and are 30mm tubes. Magnum man

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RDFinn
E

Most of my observations are from 8 years as a US military duty slotted sniper, owner and chief instructor of a firearms training company, 3-Gun and precision rifle tactical competitor, and a fanatical hunter.

E, stop. Please. You know nothing of military sniping or sniper equipment.

These are the Leupolds issued in the military.

Ultra M3A (or MK4) 10x40
MK4 LR M3 3.5-10x40
MK4 4.5-14x50 M1
TS-30 A2 3�9�36
MK8 1.1-8x24 CQBSS
MK4 34mm 6.5-20x50

There are/were a few others in limited numbers.

The only ones that don't have consistent problems are the fixed 10x, the MK8 CQBSS, and the new 34mm 6.5-20x50.

The rest fail at an unacceptable rate for military sniper use.

Your statement about Nightforce's military contracts and repair backlog is false. They have, and have had, several contracts within USSOCOM, NAVSPECWAR, and USASOC. They currently have one worth 25.8 million dollars.

They do have a huge backlog across the board with their optics because they are selling every single scope they can make. It has nothing to do with repairs.

I have spent 7 years as a military duty slotted sniper. I have been issued, used, and shot every scope mentioned in this thread. I have seen the variable Leupolds fail at around 25-30% rate. That is- it is not uncommon to have 2 or 3 variable power Leupolds out of 10 develop issues when used hard. I have seen both S&B and Premier scopes have issues (granted there have been very few). I have never seen a NF fail (including the one with the bullet through it). I'm sure they break like all things made, but I would bet they have the lowest failure rate of any US issued sniper scope.

I've seen one Nightforce failure that was due to something other then the operator. Something came loose inside a brand new (just mounted) 3.5-15 F1 with H58 reticle. You could shake the scope with the objective down and the reticle would disappear or go out of focus. Shake it with the objective up and it would reappear although slightly out of focus.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anything can and will fail at some point. Eremicus doesn't seem interested in what some of our guys are reporting that have current first hand knowledge. He has made the statement about Nightforce customer service repair's numerous times and was told this by Formidilosus....

He goes on and on about Leupold scopes and was told that they have the highest failure rate of all the scopes the military uses.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cfran
Eremicus
The Army does not use Leupold exclusively. Sniper rifles in our armsroom have S&B, Nightforce and Leupold scopes. I have been active duty for quite a while now and am fairly familiar with all of them (Not much time on a 2010 or with the S&B).

RDFinn I agree with Formidilosus that the Leupolds are the most problematic of our scopes. The MK4 LR/T 3.5-10 M2 that come on the M110 are the worst.

He believes only what he wants, this has been going on for years. Face it he's an older gentleman who has all the answers and he comes to this forum to try and influence others that he knows best. That is fact!

put JG in with him too, finally someone who gets it right. when we start talking about mk 4's and nightforces we are beyond the scope of a hunting rifle scope. and when we make that deviation leupold can't hang anymore.

ERMY and JG dudes seriously if you set it and forget it a leupold is going to work great its going to be a decent scope. its the adjustments everyone is saying isn't what they should be. for 99% of people they will never use a hunting scope in such a fashion. I would also say that many people don't have an accurate enough gun to really know how well their hunting rifle scope tracks. and no the problem isn't crappy gunsmithing and poor scope mounting!!!! put a scope on an honest 1/4-3/8 MOA rifle and one that can do it at 200 yards and beyond. you will then see tracking that you get from NF seperate the men from the boys.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You're quite the comedian cummins. First of all, I'm not that old! smile Secondly I believe what my own eyes and experience tell me, from actual hunting use, not speculation.

Last edited by JGRaider; 03/10/13.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Originally Posted by nsaqam
I think that the situation at Leupold and Toyota are analogous.

For years Toyota made vehicles that performed well and had exemplary quality and reliability.
Folks beat a path to their door.

Recently however Toyota has grown so fast and become so focused on market share and model proliferation that they lost sight of what made them great in the first place, exemplary quality and superb reliability.
As a result both slipped.

When market share takes precedence over all other corporate principles then something, most likely quality, is bound to suffer.

Originally Posted by rob p
..... the benchrest community has 3 bones to pick with Leupold scopes.
1. Canted Crosshairs.
2. Lash in the Parallax adjustment.
3. Inconsistent Windage and Elevation clicks.

There is discussion that quality control has gone down, but problems and all, a Leupold 36 or 45 power competition scope is a thousand bucks and to get better, you've got to go up another $400 to a Nightforce (which is a lot heavier) or another $1500 for a March.

Lets not forget that leupold was the last major player in the rifle scope market to adopt usuing Mulit coated glass in there rifle scopes.You dont have to go back that far to find used loopies that have non multi coated lens.There current quality problems are compounded by a company attitude that somehow allows them run 10 to 15 years behind there competition in technology.
ie...they just started a tacticle rifle scope division in a market that they should have owned 20 years ago.
The living on a name thing,is getting kinda old.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've got a couple of Leupold MK 4 LRT's in 10 x40 that I sure like for LR shooting. How well regarded were they by our service users? Magnum man

If you are talking about the old M3A then us older guys liked it, most of the younger guys have never used one. The MK4 M3LR took over for it early 2000 timeframe.

dodgefan both of mine have M3 dials and are Mk IV 10 x40 as marked neither has an A or LR after the M3 on the dials or scope that I can see. The one on my 308 has a mil dot reticle and the turret says 308 M marked out to 1000 yds. Leupold CS told me it was calibrated for 168 bthp's with a bc of .476 at 2650 fps at sea level. the one on the 30-338 turret says 300 win mag M3 marked out to 1200 meters with a duplex crosshair and is supposed to calibrated with 190 gr bthp with a .496 bc at 2900fps at sea level. from what little 500 to 1000 yd shooting I do they are close but I don't shoot at sea level and the velocity of my loads are different than idealized.I only have about $450 each in them but still think I did ok for the money. Any add'n info you have on them is appreciated if you will share it. Magnum Man

Those are good scopes, especially for that price!

I have an order in with Leupold for a MOA calibrated M3 knob with zero stop. The straight MOA knob (with zero stop) was apparently not an option on M3 dials, so Leupold had to write an entirely new program specifically for my order. Didn't cost me anything more than standard replacement dial price, though it's taking a big more time than usual (oh well)! I'll let you know how it works out - should be a better option than trying to make a cartridge specific dial work for you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cumminscowboy,

I would also say that many people don't have an accurate enough gun to really know how well their hunting rifle scope tracks.

Here's another thought. Most of the folks who purchase the long range scopes will sight them in for 100 or 200 and never know if they track or not.

A few years ago I purchased a z5 5-25X52 with the Ballistic Turret. I did some calculating and decided to sight it in at 300 yards. Then without shooting it I went on the 'net and found a trajectory program for my .257 Weatherby firing Barnes 100 TTSXes at 3,704 and theoretically set the first hold over for 380, the next for 440 and the 500 yards; and instantly became a "long range shooter". Did I test them? My range only goes to 300 yards.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Billy,

I just put the Burris Eliminator on the 6.5-06 to see how far out the LED dots would go. Am probably going to put the Burris on a smaller rifle (maybe a .223) to see how it works on PD's this spring.

I have the Mark 4 10x on the 6.5-06 in detachable Talleys just so I can take it off and use the rifle to test other scopes, without having to resight the Mark 4 again. Have detachable mounts on several other rifles so I can do the same thing with them, including my lightweight .338 Winchester--which has killed more "shock proof" scopes than any rifle I've ever owned.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Again, which Leupolds ? The fixed magnification 10X, Mk.4 has been the Army's day scope since the 80's. It was developed to meet the Army's standards which no one could do at the time.

This is true. In 1984 my ODA and I flew to Portugal on a 130 with a SEAL Platoon. The crusty old platoon Chief had just left a staff job at Crane Naval Weapons Center. He said that they had tested and destroyed every single scope on the planet. The only one that came close to holding up
was the ZF-69, but sub lockouts finally got it, though I'm sure that wasn't in their design parameters.

Three years later I sat on Smoke Bomb Hill and listened to MSG Rick Boucher pretty much tell the same story, and then he showed us one of the SOTIC committee 700's with a then brand new Leupold M3 Ultra. Never saw one of those scopes not track accurately.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (007FJ, 19rabbit52, 222Sako, 308xray, 29aholic, 12344mag, 38 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,643
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.