Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Id have some one like Fosnaugh or Neil Jones R&R a Remington factory trigger before I went with a Timney.
Jewell triggers are in a different league all together. I have ran min in seriously crappy conditions and its never missed a beat.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BWalker
Id have some one like Fosnaugh or Neil Jones R&R a Remington factory trigger before I went with a Timney.
Jewell triggers are in a different league all together. I have ran min in seriously crappy conditions and its never missed a beat.
I agree. I have several Jewell triggers but my favorite trigger is a Remington that Neil Jones tuned up. If I remember correctly I paid the vast sum of $40 to have it done. He is undoubtedly charging more now but it's a great choice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've recently got a couple of Jewells on some rifles, but really for me it has much more to do with the trigger shoe than the "trigger". The trigger shoe on a Jewell is pretty narrow, so if you don't like a skinny trigger shoe you will not like a Jewell no matter how nice it feels - IMHO.

I have smaller hands so the Jewell works pretty well, but like some have mentioned a Neil Jones adjusted old style Remington is pretty dang slick. They can be made to be as slick as a Jewell but still not feel like a Jewell since the trigger shoe is much wider. Ok, enough BS.

For me, there is nothing better than a Shilen trigger adjusted just so by Karl Feldkamp, he also cleans up the trigger by rounding the edges and then bead-blasting the trigger shoe, and then adjusts it perfect. But everyone has their own thing when it comes to triggers.

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 03/05/13.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Love my Jewell trigger in a custom 280 AI set at 2.5 lbs. Awesome trigger and never had any issues in the field. By far the best trigger I've ever pulled. Im sure Timney will work fine too. I pulled a factory tuned remington trigger, rifle basix, Timney and then the Jewell all set at 2 to 2.5 lbs. There was no comparison with what I felt. The Jewell was different so I selected that trigger for the build I was doing. I based my decision on what I felt. I already knew from other shooters using the Jewell they were relaible so it can down to feel.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
....but really for me it has much more to do with the trigger shoe than the "trigger". The trigger shoe on a Jewell is pretty narrow, so if you don't like a skinny trigger shoe you will not like a Jewell no matter how nice it feels - IMHO.

That's one of my main problems with a Jewell as well.

I tried, really tried, to give them a chance and to like them, so that I could join the "in-crowd" here, but I just can't like that skinny little trigger shoe.

Consequently, they have been replaced on my rifles.

For hunting, a tuned Rem factory unit or Timney is on just about all of them.

On competition/target/groundhog rifles, doing the "ounces thing", I've settled on Shilen Competition triggers.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the link! I'll be needing a Jewell in the next 6 to 8 months.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a lot of Jewells and Shilens, and I like them. I like the thin trigger shoe.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like the Jewell triggers because i have them set at 1# and when my nephews were young i would set them to 2.5#. Great for varmints for me and deer for them. In west tx we hunt in sand storms and i have never had problems in 17 yrs.

Callin Varmints
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I usually see posters referring to model 700 setups. Any issues/ comments on Win M70 applications?
Mike

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The Jewell's I have are on Model 70's. They have been great for me, even in really nasty conditions.
Much better than the factory trigger.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds good. Any idea if I would have to modify the trigger guard on a pre 64 FWT?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have used a jewell for years, no issues,sub zero to hot, rain ,snow,dust,minimal cleaning, never missed a lick, i like the narrow shoe and never shoot with a glove on. It may be the onlytrigger i will carry set light..

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BWalker
The Jewell's I have are on Model 70's. They have been great for me, even in really nasty conditions.
Much better than the factory trigger.

I have a jewell on two of my model 70's and they are night and day better than any other option, the only down side is that they are not just a drop in like on a model 700 they require inletting to the stock.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by EricM
Are Jewell triggers reliable in the field? I read some articles which seemed to favor Timney triggers, but would like to hear from real world users.

Good link above. Thanks!

Eric

I cant believe all the talk on this thread about Timney

For a Model 700 or custom action Jewell is in a class of its own followed by Shilen ,a re-worked factory trigger, or even Rifle Basix. Timney makes a good Sako trigger or AR trigger but is my LAST choice for a Rem.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MikeS
Sounds good. Any idea if I would have to modify the trigger guard on a pre 64 FWT?

I can't say as my guns have Williams bottom metal.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by EricM
Are Jewell triggers reliable in the field? I read some articles which seemed to favor Timney triggers, but would like to hear from real world users.

Good link above. Thanks!

Eric

I cant believe all the talk on this thread about Timney

For a Model 700 or custom action Jewell is in a class of its own followed by Shilen ,a re-worked factory trigger, or even Rifle Basix. Timney makes a good Sako trigger or AR trigger but is my LAST choice for a Rem.

Timneys are boat anchors. Lol

Last edited by BWalker; 03/18/13.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Eric,

I have NULAS with both. On my .308 I installed a Jewell set at 2#. works great been on there 10+. No issues. However you loose the bolt locking feature on a NULA when a jewell is installed. The other rifles have Timmneys. Adjusted them and dicked around with them a little and they have been excellent as well. Actually seem a bit crisper than the Jewell. They do lock the bolt if that is important to you and also allow the rifle to be unloaded with the safety on if they are pressed down. Not a bad idea as you have to jack the rounds out to unload a NULA.

Both triggers can be excellent.

Lefty C

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Finished up installing a Jewell in My pre-64 .270 Featherweight yesterday. I did have to re-time the safety, do a little inletting work on the McMillan edge stock and lengthen the opening in the trigger guard in the front and back a little.

Trigger feels great and it wasn't all that hard to do myself.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Call before you order one for a model 70. I tried to buy one for my Extreme Weather, 7mm-08. He said they didn't make one to fit this particular Winchester. Maybe because it is their WSM action. I went throught the same process with a Nightforce one piece rail.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Jewells work on all new haven built guns, including pre 64's. The BACO/FN built guns use different triggers and Jewell doesn't make one for them yet.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (222Sako, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1badf350, 204guy, 59 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,509
Posts18,509,332
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.