Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I haven't been around much lately. frown I had a few financial reversals (lost a job I had held for 21 years). The only work I could find for a while was in the next county over, which was a bit of a drive and didn't leave much time for reviewing backpack type stoves.

I'm still doing a lot of commuting, but thankfully now working in the same county in which I live. I probably won't have the time I once did, but I thought I'd present a review that might be of interest here, a review of a remote canister stove that can handle running with the canister upside down.

Why might anyone care about which way the canister points? Well, running with the canister upside down gives one about a 20 degree cold weather advantage over conventional upright canister stoves (when using an isobutane/propane mix).

So, if you like canister gas stoves but want something that can handle a little bit colder weather, the Kovea Spider is worth checking out.

Inverted canister stoves are a lightweight alternative to liquid fueled (gasoline or kerosene) stoves in cold weather. Not only are they lighter, but they're more mechanically reliable. In my latest blog post, I review a good one, the Kovea Spider.

I've found it to be a really nice, compact stove.
[Linked Image]
The Monatauk Gnat (left) and the Kovea Spider (right)

For the future, I'd like to see Kovea do more to lighten the 5.9oz/168g Spider stove. I'd like to see a good remote canister stove down in the four ounce range, but this is such a nice little stove that it's hard to complain.
[Linked Image]
The diminutive Kovea Spider

There is a lighter, by about 3/4 ounce, stove on the market, the FMS-118 Volcano, but there have been some complaints about the Volcano when in inverted canister mode, and I don't think the Volcano packs down anywhere near as small. I can get the Kovea Spider and a 110g canister of gas into either my 780ml Snow Peak pot or my MSR Titan kettle.
[Linked Image]
A Kovea Spider inside an MSR Titan Kettle

If this sounds interesting, here's the full review: [u]The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove[/u]. Have a look if you like.

HJ

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jim,

Thanks for the info, nice review and good luck with the new job!

MtnHtr

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Sorry about the job frown

That's a great stove! smile

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
Jim,

Thanks for the info, nice review and good luck with the new job!

MtnHtr
You're welcome for the review, and thanks for the good wishes on the job.

Where was that photo taken? Looks like the Sierra Nevada of California, yes?

HJ

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by alukban
That's a great stove! smile
Actually, I think that it is.
it can handle colder weather than a conventional upright gas stove.
You can use a windscreen without worrying about overheating the canister.
It's got a lower center of gravity which makes it more stable and gets it down out of the wind a bit.

And... you don't have to pay for it with a lot of bulk or weight.

When I go out with my family, I find myself grabbing this gas stove.

HJ

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great review..another toy for the gear list!

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Who is the U.S. distributor for Kovea stoves?

Also, who retails them here in the U.S.?

I'd be interested in getting one.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Vigilguy
Who is the U.S. distributor for Kovea stoves?

Also, who retails them here in the U.S.?

I'd be interested in getting one.
Kovea isn't currently selling stoves directly in the US, although if you've seen a PocketRocket or MicroRocket, you've seen a Kovea product.

The only place I know of that you can get the Kovea Spider in the US is on eBay.

HJ

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Might be a good stove but if you buy it on ebay it ships from Korea with a 30-60 day delivery time with no insurance. Because of my previous experience with Korean merchents, I am going to wait until a US distributor has them in hand before ordering.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Good point, and no harm in being cautious. I myself have had good luck with seller "Chovin" for whatever that may be worth. I also see a seller based in Hong Kong on eBay. I can't say anything one way or the other regarding that seller.

Supposedly, Kovea is going to start selling their products in the US. I understand that Kovea had a delegation at the recent Outdoor Retailer trade show. When exactly that might occur is unknown.

In the mean time, if someone were looking for a good remote canister stove, the MSR Windpro II is widely available and is only 3/4oz heavier. It's not as packable, but it's definitely a good stove.

HJ

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Don't overlook the Optimus Vega.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Awesome pics and great informative review.

Thanks.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by elkhunter_241
Don't overlook the Optimus Vega.
I haven't tried the Vega, but it looks like a decent stove.

Having said that, I like the Spider better than the Vega because it is so compact. I went to a sporting goods store last week and took a look at a Vega. It would fit into my MSR Titan kettle, which is good, but there was no way I could get a can of gas inside too. With the Spider, I can do both. Oh, and did I mention that the Spider is 1/2 the cost of the Vega? smile

Seriously though, I really like the Spider (in case it doesn't show). I just like the idea that I can have the full functionality of a remote canister stove (including using a full 360 degree windscreen) in what is basically an itty bitty little package. To me that's cool. Guess I don't like schleping around bulky stuff.

HJ

B
B
For what its worth, I just recently received a kovea flame tornado from eBay seller chovin. I am really happy with this little stove. I wouldn't hesitate to order a kovea spider from chovin.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
As an adjunct to my earlier post, I just put up a blog post on [u]cooking with the new Kovea Spider[/u]. Have a look if you like.

[Linked Image]

HJ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by broberts
For what its worth, I just recently received a kovea flame tornado from eBay seller chovin. I am really happy with this little stove. I wouldn't hesitate to order a kovea spider from chovin.

OK chovin.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Jim glad to see you again! I have asked about what happened to ya a time or 2. Good luck with it all!

A man's got to know his limitations!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Jim about that windscreen you use, did you make that? What is it made of and how is the best way to pack it without damaging it?

A man's got to know his limitations!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
That is truly some loverly grub laugh

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks for the review Jim. I think I'd still go with the new MSR Windpro though. The bulk issue isn't a problem for me. If I'm carrying an MSR Titan Kettle then I'll be running a Caldera Cone anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 75 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,684
Posts18,493,949
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.