Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Magnum_Man
Most of my experience with Leupold has been with military issue gear. I've only owned 3 leupolds personnally. The M3A is a 30mm tube 1 MOA elevation 1/2 MOA windage fixed 10X that was built like a tank.

You have Rick Boucher to thank for that scope's rugged, reliable, tracking, as the AMU contingent was dead set on having 1/4moa adjustments. He had to document that they couldn't be made to track accurately, and because of "screw lag", wouldn't always take the DOPE.

What Boucher and Lambert came up with, an elevation turret with an etched knob calibrated for the load, was what a few euro snipers were doing, and pretty much what John Burns at Greybull advocated. This is why I have to laugh when someone posts here that that system doesn't work. Boucher stacked up bodies like cordwood in SE Asia, sort of like Burns does elk.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 03/10/13.
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
So, would it be reasonable to say that the new Leupold variables with the double bias spring track more dependably than the older single spring variety?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my experience with several scopes, yes.

But am always interested in hearing the results of other people's experience.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DonKnows
Your Leupold doesn't track right?

From "lowlight" on Snipers Hide.

"So what do you tell the guy who traveled 1200 miles to take a class.. he paid $1500 for the class, plus rental car, hotels, meals, and by the first day it fails... now he goes from what he thought was a solid optics with a stellar reputation to being the guy holding up the class while we run up, get a new scope for him, usually I am pulling one of my NF off to switch it for him. If you want to play the one up and working, the NF I use is heavily used, my S&Bs too, and guess what, of all of them, with more combined rounds than I can count, and only one scope has ever gone back for repair. They well worn and definitely show signs of use.

yes, other brands fail, but not nearly with the frequency as we are seeing with Leupold. it's every week in some cases, and even in the military classes we have Nightforce on the unit rifles next to Leupold... but I don't see the NF failing nearly as much, it's stark the reality of it, especially when you see more than 1 or 2 a week.

It's easily 20 to 1 when you compare the Nightforces on the line with the military units, this last class had 4 Leupolds on the line, 1 failed the first day, the remainders where USO, NF, and S&B... Do we see others fail, sure but not nearly as much.

If you want to start a generic scope failure thread go ahead, but don't be surprised by the results. Facts are what the facts are, in a class of 15 Leupolds on the line I expect and account for anywhere from 2 to 5 scopes to go down, I don't figure that with the same number of NF on the line. Its closer to 1 per every six months of classes, not 1 for every six people."

Don smile

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, dave7mm, for some real world info. That's the kind that helps the serious buyer make a better purchasing decision.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"It's easily 20 to 1 when you compare the Nightforces on the line with the military units, this last class had 4 Leupolds on the line, 1 failed the first day, the remainders where USO, NF, and S&B... Do we see others fail, sure but not nearly as much."

lowlight

I sure dont see many loopies on the line at Ridgway.
We have 10 targets at 850,900,950 and 1000 yards.
Lots of clicking all day long, all summer long.
Nightforce is the scope I see the most of.
Im running a 12x42 NSX with the NP-2DD and I dont have a bad word to say about it.
Kevin Cramms crew runs alot of Sightrons.I see both variables and fixed power.Current record holder is one of Cramms shooters with a 36 out of 40 targets.The guy missed 2 crows at 850 yards and 2 woodchucks at 900 yards.Cleaned everything else.Unreal shooting.He did it with a Sightron variable.
I have a fixed 24x Sightron on a 17 lb 6.5x47.
The value of the clicks are off a tad.
But the thing goes straight up...at least for 35 inches ...and repeats spot on.

dave

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Word from one of the competitive match shooters at my club is they are all running Nightforce or Sightron.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
NF rules the BR and competition. That's obviously a fact. Now I'll turn it around on you BR guys.........I've seen one NF out of 110-120 scopes in hunting camp.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JG: You got the wrong guy... smile simply amplifying what Dave said about match shooters...I have yet to see a NF in the field...course maybe I'm not running in the correct circles grin

Here's my take FWIW.....near as I can tell much of this is an "apples/oranges" conversation....I mean some of these match/tactical shooters in competition shoot and practice a LOT.I mean the annual round expenditure will exceed what even an avid hunter/shooter(even a hard core varmint shooter) will do in 2-10 years(we are talking in the thousands annually, sometimes 5 figures).

IME there are VERY few hunters who come close to the round count expended by match shooters, unless they partake in both activites...not all do.

Those scopes are constanly clicking,putting up with a lot of recoil effects,unlike many of the scopes we all use for much of our hunting.And even if they are so used, they don't see as much action and are not subject to as much stress as the scopes run in competition.

In many ways it is really unfair to compare a Leupold with a NF or S&B,because they are simply built to different design standards,levels of precision,toughness,and price points.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
NF rules the BR and competition. That's obviously a fact. Now I'll turn it around on you BR guys.........I've seen one NF out of 110-120 scopes in hunting camp.

I think everyone including me is saying NF isn't really a hunting scope, especially in the sense that most think of a hunting scope. if the guys is asking about NF I think he is asking if its worth it in relation to other scopes in the same niche. in that regard its one of the best values out there, more expensive S&B and USO scopes are nearly twice as much as NF with no added reliability.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
So, would it be reasonable to say that the new Leupold variables with the double bias spring track more dependably than the older single spring variety?
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In my experience with several scopes, yes.

But am always interested in hearing the results of other people's experience.
Anyone care to list which models have the double bias springs?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

I think everyone including me is saying NF isn't really a hunting scope, especially in the sense that most think of a hunting scope. if the guys is asking about NF I think he is asking if its worth it in relation to other scopes in the same niche. in that regard its one of the best values out there, more expensive S&B and USO scopes are nearly twice as much as NF with no added reliability.

Think Cummins hit on it...match shooting is not hunting, and hunting is not match shooting....although there is some overlap in intended outcome and tecnique, equipment,etc. smile

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I wasn't directing that to you Bob, my friend. That's why I made the statement that the avg hunter will never wear out your basic VX3, VX6, conquest, etc.

pointer.....The VX6 and VX3 have the dual springs, maybe a couple of others but not sure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

In my trips to Canada the hunting scope I saw the most was the Zeiss.I was always the odd man out running the S&B.We played pass the scope many a night.No one,including myself felt, I was giving anything up.Once and awhile a new guy would show up with a loopie.Anyone I ever saw who showed up with loopie for there first hunt, ever came back with one.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wasn't directing that to you Bob, my friend. That's why I made the statement that the avg hunter will never wear out your basic VX3, VX6, conquest, etc.

pointer.....The VX6 and VX3 have the dual springs, maybe a couple of others but not sure.
Thanks. Does your FX3 6X42? That's one I'm pretty interested in.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by dave7mm

In my trips to Canada the hunting scope I saw the most was the Zeiss.I was always the odd man out running the S&B.We played pass the scope many a night.No one,including myself felt, I was giving anything up.Once and awhile a new guy would show up with a loopie.Anyone I ever saw who showed up with loopie for there first hunt, ever came back with one.

dave

Out of several hundred hunters that have come through our place over the years, I remember one S&B. There were probably more (as I didn't see everything that came through camp), but I remember that one because at the time I had never heard of them.

Lots of Leupolds, a few Zeiss, plenty of Nikons. Don't recall ever seeing a Nightforce.

Of course there were Bushnell topped semi-auto Remingtons too (not the guys you wanted to guide). Fortunately those are pretty rare nowadays.

Then again, our hunts are fairly classic, there's no knob spinning or night shooting involved. So basically a Nightforce or some other equally heavy piece of crap strapped to the top of your gun is a waste.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nightforce Compact is not a "heavy piece of crap" lmao

One of my favorite hunting scopes.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You're right, the 3.5-10 isn't too over the top for weight. I was referring more to the 30 ounce and up Nightforces, which are ridiculous for an average hunter.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by dave7mm

dave

You're quite the comedian dave....your schtick gets old. Maybe your S&B's, Zeiss Diavari's , etc are at their best in Canada, because that's not necessarily the case out here. I see more and more mid priced stuff than ever before, 'cause the primo stuff ain't necessary, as proven by many of our repeat clients who hunt all over the world. I've seen it side by side many, many times in every condition, for the past 11 years. I do love those Diaviari's and S&B's though and they do have better glass than a VX3, Conquest, Elite, SwaroA, and VX6.

It reminds me of one guy from PA we had show up to hunt aoudad a few years ago. First morning he walked out of the cabin in his starched jeans and LL Bean hunting shirt, looking like a million bucks. The first thing he did was pull out his Blaser rifle topped with a S&B something or other and gave us a seminar for the next 15 minutes. He finally killed a big ram, but the best part of his "game" was his equipment if you know what I mean.

My buddy and I have killed 6 muley bucks between us here in TX since 2008, totaling a gross 1149 inches, 191.5" average, with VX2, VX3, and one SwaroA that I don't own anymore due to a wandering zero. You need to try and sell your stories to a less experienced crowd.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sendero_man
Nightforce Compact is not a "heavy piece of crap" lmao

One of my favorite hunting scopes.

I have been using one of the 2.5-10 NF compacts for hunting elk, mule deer, antelope and WT's in the Rockies for the last couple of years. They are a little heavier than the VX-3 3.5-10 AO. About 3 ounces as I recall. I have not had any trouble with the NF at all. This one of my favorite photos of the NF:

[Linked Image]

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 754 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,596
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.