Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
buy the cz and not look back. I bought the kids one last year and it is as accurate as any of my cz rimfires.

Rick
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Buy the correct tool for the job at hand. If he outgrows it, move it along to someone else who can use it.

I bought my kids a Marlin 15Y. Stock size was correct but it still weighed a bit too much. The cricket or savage youth 22s are lighter and are probably a better starter gun.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StubbleDuck

Actually if i was outfitting a youngster with a .22LR boltgun that could last a lifetime, I'd get the kid a CZ 452 American w/ a 16.1" bbl, along with an extra "CZ Scout" youth stock and a single-shot magazene adapter (or two) that block a 452/453 magazenes rendering them singleshooters when the adapter is installed, but it immediately can be removed making the rifle a repeater again.

Also by installing the CZ Scout stock, its youth-size but without any permanent modifications, the barreled action can be used in the Scout stock when the youngun's small, but later can be put back into the adult walnut 452/453 stock with the kid has grown into it!

I've pretty much done this, except I put a one inch recoil pad on the CZ Scout Stock and used the CZ American Stock on a different rifle, a CZ Trainer which I call my American Trainer. For my Scout stock I had the American barrel cut to 16.5 inches and threaded for a suppressor... I have one and my Boy has one except that his only has a one-half inch recoil pad on it. The CZ Scout Stock does require a permanent modification... The rear tang has to be inletted for the dovetailed bolt that the rear tang screw screws into, and the barrel channel has to be opened up for the larger diameter American Barrel. Over at rimfirecentral's CZ forum there are a few multipage threads of CZ Scouts that have been altered by their owners and they are not Kids, so this is one rifle that probably will not gather dust in the back of the safe.

CZ American Trainer;
[Linked Image]

The CZ Scout is an Excellent Rifle and yes I would make it a point to pick one up NOW while they are still available as the line is being discontinued; BUT it is still a pretty heavy rifle for a small kid, and I would give a serious look at the Savage Cub if you can find one or the newer version the 'Rascal'. The Cub has a better receiver sight and is grooved for rimfire scope bases while I believe the Rascal is drilled and tapped.

Having had both I can say that the Savage Cub/Rascal's receiver sight is much more robust, has a feed ramp (vs having to put the round directly in the chamber) and the Chipmunk/Crickett's scope mount puts the scope too high for any kind of cheek weld and again is not as robust as the Savage mounting system.

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 03/19/13.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
I'm sold on the Savage Cub. My grandson has learned a bunch with this neat little rifle.

It's got a robust peep sight, it has a nice clean trigger (Accu-Trigger) & when Kylar has out grown the rifle, there will be another new shooter to train with it. I bought the rifle from a friend who had trained several kids with the rifle....he passed it to me and I expect the rifle will have trained many more before it gets passed on to its next gun safe.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by vonfatman; 03/23/13.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

165 members (257robertsimp, 160user, 2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 1,780 guests, and 954 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,130
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.