Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
After each mass shooting, many of the populists here on this site have exclaimed - that guy is totally crazy, he should never have been allowed to have a gun. Those same folks are against any form of upgrading background checks now. And against all previous forms of background checks as well. This is not rational behavior but it is what it is - the norm on the campfire.

There have been long threads on how .gov should be spying on American's to weed out the crazies too. These are the same guys that want smaller or zero .gov and don't believe .gov should be snooping anywhere (except gay bedrooms).

Personally, I do not want more background checks. And the price of that will be repeated incidents like the one here, and like mass shootings have and will continue to occur.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First thing to do is make being a criminal hurt so bad that people do not want to do it the first time and those that do will not repeat. Next thing is to make the criminals work to support their self instead of sitting around and lifting weights. Arkansas penal systems used to be self supporting and have excess to sell, and then the Feds decided that the prisoners rights were being violated. In my mind when they were convicted, they lost their rights. Do not punish the law abiding trying to stop criminals from being criminals. Punish the ones doing the crimes, hard. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by BrentD
After each mass shooting, many of the populists here on this site have exclaimed - that guy is totally crazy, he should never have been allowed to have a gun. Those same folks are against any form of upgrading background checks now. And against all previous forms of background checks as well. This is not rational behavior but it is what it is - the norm on the campfire.

There have been long threads on how .gov should be spying on American's to weed out the crazies too. These are the same guys that want smaller or zero .gov and don't believe .gov should be snooping anywhere (except gay bedrooms).

Personally, I do not want more background checks. And the price of that will be repeated incidents like the one here, and like mass shootings have and will continue to occur.

Gotta agree with Brent, except the bedroom invasion. (Gay bedrooms? Brent, gays are on TV and in classrooms. Never seen anyone here have issue with the queers keeping to themselves).

People on the other side of this issue also want "common sense", but I've never seen any examples of it.

Common sense tells us we have a fractured society of many people who have absolutely no common ground on anything, we apply the law when it fits an agenda and wonder why there's no control or clear solution to anything.

Last edited by HawkI; 03/24/13.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Originally Posted by KR13
So, that was you in the video?

No, wasn't me, however I thought most around here supported keeping firearms away from the unstable, the criminal, the illegal alien, so I am a little confused at why so many here then object to a background check.

I object to background checks because they are totally useless and do nothing to stop the wrong people from getting guns.

44henry

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by BrentD

I agree that given the options I have seen proposed, The status quo is preferred. Better accept the rare incidents and maintain what little freedom we have left.

While it would be great to keep "crazies" from having a gun. The question I have to ask is how many citizens who have never committed a crime do we we need to strip a consitutionally protected natural right from to to prevent really dangerous folks from having a firearm?

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
44henry, I don't think they are totally useless. I'm just not willing to forego some liberties in order that their utility can be realized.

At this point, I almost don't care what side of an argument folks take, so much as I find it incomprehensible how irrational many folks on this website really are. And then they bitch about .gov when their own lack of common sense and logic is appalling.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ColKlink
Wonder where they found that dumbphuck.

Under the viaduct sleeping in a cardboard box....

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Several good points made here.

As I've been known to point out, the devil is and will continue to be in the details. The other shoe won't be on the ground until the dust settles and we see what is on the latest and greatest Form 4473 that you fill out when purchasing a firearm. Yup, "enhanced background checks".

Most people don't understand fully how legislation works. The Congress or state legislature passes a law that includes the broad principles and purpose, then grants rule making and enforcement authority to regulatory agencies, in this case BATF. That is where the rubber hits the road.

Off the top of my head, I recall that ATF does not include informal target shooting, plinking, as an acceptable "sporting purpose". I guess that means your imported AK clone doesn't qualify. That's just one example.

Gun owners in Iowa cheered when a couple of years ago CCW became "shall issue". The form you fill out and sign has fine print in which the applicant gives law enforcement virtual carte blanc access to medical records. You might as well give them access to your priest's confessional. Principles aside, how many LE officials have the training to understand what they are reading, or do they just scan for buzz words? Do you expect them to understand the couple hundred or so mental diagnostic categories in DSM IV? Suppose you sought counseling for a marital problem, do you want Sheriff Billy Bob peeking into your bedroom secrets? Do you even trust his discretion?

There will be consequences, unintended and otherwise.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I know it is illegal, but how do you enforce it if not for a background check? If a three time felon walks into a gun shop and lays the money down for a .45, how do you go about finding out he is a three time felon not eligible to own a handgun?

Most here say they support keeping the guns out of the hands of criminals, I'm not getting how you prevent a criminal from walking into a gun show and purchasing a firearm he is not legal to own?

I'm no Obama lover so do me a favor and don't take it there. I'm asking a serious question, how do you propose we deny a firearm sale to a criminal?

Do you think a 3 time felon will BUY a gun? You've been in KA too long and drank the Koolaid too much.

Whats wrong is how the .gov will use the information on the checks later on to confiscate.

And then, just who the hell will define who is nuts? I mean IMHO living in KA might be grounds to not be mentally stable enough to own one.

See the other side of the coin?

If we'd apply the rules that are there, and publicly hang EVERY last offender, most of the stupid chit would go away.

But when you get probation for a murder, then new laws won't help.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
No one I know gets probation for murder. Nor do murderers, esp. mass murders illustrate and impact of tougher punishments.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The guy who killed the to SC officers was a habitual sex fiend, had a violent past, and actually been convicted of a gun crime, he walked into a gun store and bought a firearm.

If this is true which it probably is not (chalk it up to great reporting skills) the guns shop should have it's FFL pulled for not performing a NICS check.

If he had been convicted of a gun crime it would show up on the nics and he would be denied, so I doubt it was purchased at a gun shop.

It's not a problem with the laws it's a problem about them not being followed. I know a couple of gun shop owners who have called about felons failing the nics checks and lying on the nics form and nothing was done to these people, From my understanding it's not legal to lie on the form yet nothing is done.

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That magic fairies in your azz thing really scared the he11 outta me pugs.

Please don't ever do that again.

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why doesn't America stop believing all these lies about gun laws that do nothing to curb crime, and return to pre 68 gun law?

What is being discussed here is, lies told often enough that seem to have become truths.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 12344mag
The guy who killed the to SC officers was a habitual sex fiend, had a violent past, and actually been convicted of a gun crime, he walked into a gun store and bought a firearm.

If this is true which it probably is not (chalk it up to great reporting skills) the guns shop should have it's FFL pulled for not performing a NICS check.

If he had been convicted of a gun crime it would show up on the nics and he would be denied, so I doubt it was purchased at a gun shop.

It's not a problem with the laws it's a problem about them not being followed. I know a couple of gun shop owners who have called about felons failing the nics checks and lying on the nics form and nothing was done to these people, From my understanding it's not legal to lie on the form yet nothing is done.

Nothing illegal about a felon lying on the 4473... You cannot be required to testify against yourself and if you are commiting a crime you are covered... They are not prosecuted because they cannot be.

Now, if you are not a felon and make an honest mistake on the form you have committed a crime...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Zrack656
Paid for by Bloomberg! Nothing else to say.

Yep. Oppose it on principle without even watching.

Tough to see, but I think the JCrew actor has his finger inside the trigger guard.

Must have taken the metro actor a week to grow his beard and bend his hat Juuuuuust Right.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As the universal background checks will require universal registration in order to enforce

How so? If the background check is done prior to purchase, why would the gun need to be registered?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KR13
Short answer is you can't. By definition criminals do not obey the law. Do you seriously think the average gang banger is buying firearms from gun shows?

Do you think they would if they could? If there are no checks, what stops them from doing so? This nut job in the above article walked in and bought one, I suspect because he is nuts he will do so again.

I mean I am just not seeing it a wrong policy to check to see if somebody is banned from gun ownership. In these two Santa Cruz cases, the guns were not stolen, they were bought.

The issue of no background checks at Gun Shows is a myth perpetrated by the left. Guns shows are made up almost exclusively of FFL holders and if you sell a gun there, you MUST go through the 4473 process as well as the instant background check already in place. What is not covered are individual to individual purchases-NOR SHOULD THEY BE. The percentages of those sales turning "south" are statistically irrelevant. All the left ones is to continue, little by little, in strangling our rights as gun owners. These "mandatory" background checks to determine kookery are just a ploy and they've already tipped their hand with veterans and that PTSD bullshit. That criminal in SC should have come up in the system as a convicted felon and denied the sale. We have PLENTY of laws we don't need anymore.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Speak for your own gunshows jorge. That is a state issue, not a fed issue. Here, if I sell a gun or buy a rifle from a walker at a show, no background check is done. No FFL. Hell, I can sell them at garage sales. The gunshow "loophole" is real. Whether it bears filling is another issue.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
It doesn't matter how you run the check, you are going to be registering either the gun or the owner.

Once either the gun or the owner is in the database, its just a matter of time before a law or ruling makes either the gun illegal to own, or the owner inelligible to own.

It doesn't really matter at that point if 90% of your collection is unregistered because there going to take them too when they come at 4am and knock (if your lucky) on your door.

The only firearms they won't be able to take are those you have burried somewhere (until the drones have ground penetrating radar)

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Nothing illegal about a felon lying on the 4473... You cannot be required to testify against yourself and if you are commiting a crime you are covered... They are not prosecuted because they cannot be.

Now, if you are not a felon and make an honest mistake on the form you have committed a crime...

Pay very close attention to the top of page 2.

I don't think "Honest mistakes are a problem"

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,728
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.