-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here ya go! Pictures of a crewcab and thread on topic. Never again.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2491943/1

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
Yeah, I build for a living as well and it is no small task. Decided to take a year to myself and do it the way I want it.

Our last house... kids are both in College. From here on out building only for others or rental's for myself.

Nice! I like to do that someday also. Just have too find the right place to build that 'last' house and get the boys sent off to college. 9 more years... smile

conrad101st,

That looked painful.

I have hunting pards who did the MR NICE thing, whether CC or 6500s, all have moved on to other packs. A mixture of MR internals, Arcteryx BORAs and Kifaru now.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have a fully rigged NICE OK frame with a 6500 bag and DP Lid, Long Pockets, etc, etc. It is a heavy pack, but, VERY comfortable under heavy loads.

I also have one of if not the first original Gen. 1 NICE frames sold into Canada, rigged with a Wolf bag and all the above. I have now had this since 2006 and often pack a total of 80+ lbs. in it during training hikes.

I am 66+ years old and carried my first pack at age 10, here in BC, started actual backpack camping in June, 1964 and have owned many packs, including two Kifarus.

I find my MR packs, the two NICE units, the BDSB I waited about nine months to receive in 2006 and my Deluxe from that time to be outstanding, as my several Dana Design packs have also been.

I also find that MR's QC and materials are superior to any other commercial maker I have seen, but, that comes at the cost of weight, you can't have it both ways.

I might well buy a full-on "Dyneema" McHale this year and that is IT, but, if you can get the fit dialed, the MR packs WILL do the job and last like no others I have seen. My oldest one is an original DD Bomb Pack, bought in 1978, used as a work pack in some of my years working in the BC and Alberta wilderness and it is STILL rocksolid....wish to hell I was! smile

All that said, I have scored three of the Dana Terraframes, got some good advice from "Vek" here some years ago and I now have two "Shortbeds", which convert to bare frames and one "longbed Loadmaster" which is a neat green colour and is going to be my mountain lake fishing pack for the next several years.

You pretty much have to try packs out to find what works best for you, but, there are lots of "used" items out there to experiment with until you know what works for you under major loads.

If, I were young, again, I would just buy a used older, solid Kelty or CampTrails frame pack, put my basic gear in stuff sacks lashed to this and get out and hike, hunt, fish and learn by doing, which is more fun and a better "school" than the internet....blisters, bugs, spinters and all!

W
WBill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Well here's the question then?? How is the best way to figure out fit of a heavy load hauler w/ day pack, other than years of painful experimentation? Already done the pain thing and I'm not interested in doing it again or any more. My torso measurement is 20". The ILBE has no reference to torso sizing that I can find? I am having a very hard time thinking about paying $400-$600 for a pack!!!

Cheers,
Wild Bill

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by bloodworks
In all seriousness, how about a photo spread with your Bora 80 showing fit Brad.

Someone with 20k posts doesnt have time to take pictures or put on a pack, just ridicule others....duh.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JWP58
In all seriousness, how about a photo spread with your Bora 80 showing fit Brad.

Someone with 20k posts doesnt have time to take pictures or put on a pack, just ridicule others....duh.

There was no ridicule, and I'm too busy building a house... your reading comprehension is in the gutter along with what's left of your brain.

Now that's ridicule...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by JWP58

There was no ridicule, and I'm too busy building a house... your reading comprehension is in the gutter along with what's left of your brain.

Now that's ridicule...

Well you better get to building or are you going for 40k?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
20K in 13 years ain't that much... been far busier than your meager mind can comprehend.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_375
Well here's the question then?? How is the best way to figure out fit of a heavy load hauler w/ day pack, other than years of painful experimentation? Already done the pain thing and I'm not interested in doing it again or any more. My torso measurement is 20". The ILBE has no reference to torso sizing that I can find? I am having a very hard time thinking about paying $400-$600 for a pack!!!

Cheers,
Wild Bill

What specific pack(s) are you interested in fitting to yourself?

I "might" be able to assist, but, would need more detailed info. as above, to offer any suggestions that I would consider more than just some of the same BS that has plagued this thread, so far.

Fitting packs, boots, whatever, is NOT "rocket science", but, it does make a major difference in comfort and getting a given pack "dialed" CAN take some time and effort.

I tend to allow for a "break-in time" on my internal frame packs and accept that most externals do not have quite the same degree of fit by "fine-tuning" as a top end internal design will have. One does not use an external in quite the same way as an internal, so, some compromise may be acceptable.

If, your physical conditioning is "off", ANY pack will NOT work as designed and a big gut tends to offset a good pack fit. so, as I know the "hardway" at my age, this issue also requires attention...and SWEAT! Groan, too many miles on the track earlier today! smile

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I hate getting in a pissing match on the web but it is easy to do it seems. From the start, I said I was just relating my experience with my pack which has been perfectly acceptable. I have never felt ill-fitted or uncomfortable under load with the ILBE. As I have described a couple of times I can get the pack close to my torso and the weight on the small of my back or at least into the lordotic curve of the lumbar spine. I've carried a lot of meat that way but not a lot of meat a lot of times, neophyte as I said. Nothing has changed my experience with the pack, It has been good.

With that said, Brad is spot on with his fit advice as far as I can tell. Below is a link from REI on how to fit a pack and the proper use of load lifters. I think I have been getting by so to speak by tightening down the shoulder straps and the load lifters I guess. I am going by the video here. From what I can tell the pack is short for me. I have not measured C7 to the transect of the iliac crests and still don't really know how to use that measurement but agree the pack is probably short.

Despite Brad's quick dismissal of my ignorance is bliss argument, there is a lot of truth there. I have been perfectly happy and comfortable with the ILBE. Now I wonder.... I may be damn near bullet proof if I get the perfect pack.

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/backpacks-adjusting-fit.html

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I would like to see an end to the bickering, longdicking and chestbeating as well as personal slagging that oftimes really impairs this section of "24Hr". This, is THE BEST site I have ever seen and worth spending time on, so, maybe we all could let the temper tantrums take place on other sites and treat each other as "friends" here?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Still looking at packs here. Was horned up to get an MR Nice last year but after trying one I realized that thing was unusable for my 6'3" frame and carried weight far worse than my Badlands 2200 does. Still slumming my 15 year old Rei Great star for most multi day jaunts with success though it's getting long in the tooth and it shows. Hopefully I'll figure something out before sept or it'll be a long season.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Was this JUST the NICE Frame,as I have used/owned some Badlands packs, actual original US-made and offshore models, have one now and none of them came close to my MR packs, NICE included.

With a bag that has the lifter attachments I have not seen any of the many people I have turned onto MR NICE rigs suffer at all. but, every body is different.

That said, I would go for a MR internal or maybe a Stone Glacier, a very nice looking simple pack, LONG before I would hump a heavy load in one of Badland's current or offshore offerings.

What, exactly, are you hunting and where as this can make some difference in your requirements?

W
WBill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
kutenay,

My primary interest is the USMC ILBE Gen II pack because of cost and some say it is like the Arc'teryx Bora? which should be a good product. I'm 6', weigh 192, waist is 34" and my torso measurement is 20". I'm looking for a pack that is capable of hauling meat after the kill but I need to have some sort of a bag on it to carry the things to make an enjoyable hunt for my hunting partner..My Wife. So I'll be carrying items like, First Aid Kit, Survival Kit, Lunch, Game Bags, Shooting stick, extra clothing some times, etc.

I currently have a Coleman Peak 1, which is horrible. And a metal pack frame with a fold down shelf that kicks my butt hauling meat. Plus I have to go back to the truck to get that. I also have and used a dual pouch fanny pack which wears me out on long hikes.

As you can see I know NOTHING! About back packs, fitting, and use!! So any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Wild Bill

W
WBill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I found this today after looking all over the place.

"The pack system is a modified commercial Arc'teryx Bora 95 pack."
[Linked Image]

So based on this info I'd say the marine standard issue ILBE Gen II will fit me just fine.
Cheers,
Wild Bill

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Besides my MR 7500, I have the Arc'teryx Bora 70 (I think that's the size) and its a good all around pack. For the money, I suspect the ILBE will be a good ruck for your needs.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I havent used mine, but i picked it up for 65 bucks on ebay. It should work well for me this summer and hopefully help pack out an elk this archery season.

S
S
I am with you Wild Bill I am personally looking at the same thing you are. And if people think that the ILBE is just as good as the Crew Cab then it sounds like a better deal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kutenay
I would like to see an end to the bickering, longdicking and chestbeating as well as personal slagging that oftimes really impairs this section of "24Hr". This, is THE BEST site I have ever seen and worth spending time on, so, maybe we all could let the temper tantrums take place on other sites and treat each other as "friends" here?

I agree. Seems the problems oftentimes originate from those who indeed do have lots of experience and knowledge but unfortunately, also have a grossly over inflated opinion of themselves. People innocently seek council from those more knowledgeable and if someone dare question, disagree or fail to kiss their perceived royal butt, they are treated with contempt, scorn and ridicule. I suppose this helps to further inflate the already massive ego...dunno. I truly wonder how some on here even get by in life the way they treat people. I can scarcely imagine their level of social retardation and can only assume they don't have the cajones to treat people face to face they way they do here lest someone gouge their eyeballs out.

And BTW, I'm not referring to you Kute. You've always patiently offered help to anyone who asked. I respect that.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

W
WBill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Shrek, Looks like to me the ILBE or the FILBE would be a pretty decent pack for what I am wanting to do.

I'm really Leaning towards the FILBE or what ever the Marine Corps wants to call it. It's not in Camo plus it is adjustable from standard torso length to a long torso length.

It's also made here in the USA!!!

Cheers,
Wild Bill

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 29aholic, 1_deuce, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 41 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,205
Posts18,503,819
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.