Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Decent guns or junk

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Decent guns, not junk. Certainly not in the same class as S&W, Ruger, or even Taurus; but they�re not junk. They�re guns you carry a lot and shoot a little, but they are quite reliable, and if you carry it for a decade or more, it will be there when you need it. No flash & dash, no finesse; they just work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my wife won a Lavender Lady(one of the colored short barreled 38 specials) last Saturday night.....we havent shot it yet, thats the plan for the weekend....first impression? not as nice as a S&W but it ought to hold up for a few thousand rounds....will let yah know more after we shoot it...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Decent guns, not junk. Certainly not in the same class as S&W, Ruger, or even Taurus; but they�re not junk. They�re guns you carry a lot and shoot a little, but they are quite reliable, and if you carry it for a decade or more, it will be there when you need it. No flash & dash, no finesse; they just work.
Agreed. They were made with a bit more refinement back in the early 1980s when I got my first two Charter Arms revolvers (Pathfinder .22 and Bulldog .44), but my new Bulldog .44 works just fine, too. Nice light, compact, powerhouse that can disappear in a jacket pocket, or even a pants pocket.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I actually like my mag pug. like what was mentioned, it doesn't compare to my J frame but its always gone bang whenever it is shot.

For the price, you cant go wrong.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Decent guns or junk

I have the 4" .22/.22 WMR convertible.

It is surprisingly accurate. i had an orange insert put in the front sight and that is all so far.

The trigger pull cleaned up with use pretty well. I did some dry firing to work it in.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
Decent guns or junk

I have the 4" .22/.22 WMR convertible.

It is surprisingly accurate. i had an orange insert put in the front sight and that is all so far.

The trigger pull cleaned up with use pretty well. I did some dry firing to work it in.

I have been considering the four inch patriot 327 mag.
[Linked Image]

Compared to a Smith, or even a GP100 it is a bit rough. But nobody else (that I have found) builds a 327 in an appropriate frame size combined with a four inch barrel.

Still have not made the purchase on the Patriot, the GP100 is pretty nice.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I carried a 3 inch 44 bulldog as my only CCW and trail gun for a long time and liked it a lot. Currently have an older PAthfinder 22WMR 6 inch that is a terrific trailside revolver.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Dealer wants 325. I think I'm gonna grab it. It looks like a cool gun. Will they handle +P loads? I don't know much at all about the 44 special round

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have always wanted the Bull dog in 44 special, but I have read to many complaints online and seen one too many videos on YouTube about folks having problems with them. And then of course there are some who haven't had any problems. My deduction is quality is a crap shoot. You may or may not get a good one. Not sure I want to take the chance.

"You've got to be slow in a hurry." Wyatt Earp
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My shooting buddy bought one of the "Patriot" .327 Federals, after two trips back to C-A he sold it and bought the 3" SP101 and is lovin' it.

The Charter had timing problems at first then later after the first trip back the cylinder would jam up and be a bear to get open.

YMMV

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just a couple weeks ago a member was selling a prevoius members Charter Bull dog in 40 that looked so cool it was tough to pass on that twice it was just a really neat gun
With the pressure of 40 it maybe even better in 9mm
I assume it would go boom each time you pulled the trigger

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Tombstone
I have always wanted the Bull dog in 44 special, but I have read to many complaints online and seen one too many videos on YouTube about folks having problems with them. And then of course there are some who haven't had any problems. My deduction is quality is a crap shoot. You may or may not get a good one. Not sure I want to take the chance.
I believe that was the case after the original company went under and was revived by new owners, but more recently (the last ten years or so) that's not been the case, as I understand it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dealer wants 325. I think I'm gonna grab it. It looks like a cool gun. Will they handle +P loads? I don't know much at all about the 44 special round
The CA revolvers are great guns for the money. Like all current "J-frame" revolvers they will handle +P loads, but not as a regular diet. My preference in small-frame.38 specials is to avoid +P loads and stick with wad-cutters or semi-wadcutters for all kinds of shooting, including personal defense.

With any small handgun it takes a lot of practice to achieve any sort of proficiency -- 500 rounds would seem to be the norm for the average shooter, plus about 50 rounds per month to maintain (and hopefully improve) a satisfactory level of marksmanship. That being the case the .38 special has a clear advantage over the .44 special (especially in small revolvers) in terms of both cost, and recoil. It also scores higher in terms of ammunition availability, the .38 special being as ubiquitous as .22 or 9mm, and definitely less expensive to shoot than .44 special.

The .44 special is certainly the more effective defensive round, but as with any round fired in self defense, it is effective only if it hits the intended target. Like they say, a miss with a .44 isn't nearly as impressive as a hit with a .38.

Last edited by Old_Writer; 03/30/13.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Thanks Terry,

I think this is not the first time I have heard of such issues.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Old_Writer
The CA revolvers are great guns for the money. Like all current "J-frame" revolvers they will handle +P loads, but not as a regular diet. My preference in small-frame.38 specials is to avoid +P loads and stick with wad-cutters or semi-wadcutters for all kinds of shooting, including personal defense.

With any small handgun it takes a lot of practice to achieve any sort of proficiency -- 500 rounds would seem to be the norm for the average shooter, plus about 50 rounds per month to maintain (and hopefully improve) a satisfactory level of marksmanship. That being the case the .38 special has a clear advantage over the .44 special (especially in small revolvers) in terms of both cost, and recoil. It also scores higher in terms of ammunition availability, the .38 special being as ubiquitous as .22 or 9mm, and definitely less expensive to shoot than .44 special.

The .44 special is certainly the more effective defensive round, but as with any round fired in self defense, it is effective only if it hits the intended target. Like they say, a miss with a .44 isn't nearly as impressive as a hit with a .38.
With Pachmayrs installed, the recoil really isn't that terrible with standard pressure .44 Special.

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
[quote=Idaho_Shooter

Compared to a Smith, or even a GP100 it is a bit rough. But nobody else (that I have found) builds a 327 in an appropriate frame size combined with a four inch barrel.

Still have not made the purchase on the Patriot, the GP100 is pretty nice. [/quote]

I have been waiting for Ruger to make the SP101 327 Fed with a 4" barrel and good adjustable sights. I may be waiting a good long time.

Edited to add: I was just on the Ruger site and it looks like they no longer make the SP101 in 327 in any barrel length.

Ernie

Last edited by EWY; 03/30/13.

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EWY
[quote=Idaho_Shooter

Still have not made the purchase on the Patriot, the GP100 is pretty nice.

I have been waiting for Ruger to make the SP101 327 Fed with a 4" barrel and good adjustable sights. I may be waiting a good long time.

Edited to add: I was just on the Ruger site and it looks like they no longer make the SP101 in 327 in any barrel length.

Ernie

The SP101 3" with adjustable sights is really neat and quite accurate.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Old_Writer

With Pachmayrs installed, the recoil really isn't that terrible with standard pressure .44 Special.
With Pachmayrs installed, the perceivable recoil is minimal with .38 special semi-wadcutters. wink

Last edited by Old_Writer; 03/30/13.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I've got a current model CA in 44 special. I wish I had the old one but I can tell you with the grips they come with, shooting that 44 special is just amazing how easy it is to shoot. D/A isn't so great but S/A is pretty good. I really like mine.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,862 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,798
Posts18,477,446
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.