L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Husky fine cut!

Jayco

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Copenhagen snuff for almost 20 years. None for a week or so.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I chewed Copenhagen snuff for 18 years and then tried to quit. During that time I chewed Red Man and chewed it like it was snuff - a pouch would last a good week.

Then on May 6, 2009 I bought a can of Copenhagen to enjoy one last day of it. On May 7, 2009 at 2:30 pm I threw that can in the garbage at the oral surgeons office. I then had my lower right gum "fixed". They cut away the existing tissue from my lower right gum and then cut new tissue from the roof of my mouth and stitched it in place of the lower right gum.

I recommend quitting before you have to get your gums fixed - not a pleasant experience.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Skoal Long Cut Wintergreen; don't know if I could quit! Quit smoking for 20 yrs. and started again; then quit permanently. I think the chew would be harder to quit!!! At my age, probably doesn't matter!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We're doing a benefit auction on May 4th for my neighbor. He is/was a dipper and is battling stage 4 throat cancer. I'm glad my grandfather grew tobacco and I learned to hate that stuff at an early age. Good on you to those that are quitting, and good luck to you for those that aren't.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cope snuff 98% of the time and Red Man leaf the other 2%.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
quit "the bear" (kodiak) cold turkey a little over 7 years ago.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I quit about 10 years ago, glad I did...It is crazy expensive now!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I quit Levi/beechnut several years ago. Chewed for many years when I was working underground. I had to get my back fixed up and the doc told me if I was a tobacco user he would not waste his time. Since then I have heard of a lot of doctors doing the same thing. Blood pressure came down 10 points after I quit.

Strange thing. I'm still alive, but that doctor killed himself in a skiing accident. Sliding down a mountain on two sticks is more dangerous than tobacco use.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Grizzly wintergreen nowadays. Started on Skoal, switched to Kodiak and went to my current cheaper alternative.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to smoke, dip both cope and skoal at different times but have been off all of it for a long time. While quitting, I ate a ton of bulk cinnamon candies, then they started making my mouth raw. I now dip Smokey Mountain tobacco-less dip. I like the wintergreen better than the other flavors. I don't use much of it and if you run out there is no craving like tobacco. It is made from corn silk, clover and molasses with some pepper in there for bite. miles

Last edited by milespatton; 04/12/13.

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I started with Skoal in my teens. It was nineteen cents a can. At some point I switched to Copenhagen. Over twenty-some years I wore that white circle into the hip pockets of a lot of pairs of jeans. Also tried about every plug and scrap at one time or the other. Been off it all going on thirty years. Damn, human beings can be stupid at times...

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Started out on Skoal wintergreen 39 years ago. Only about one can a week, but I have one in ALL the time, even when I was sleeping after I first started. Never did spit, always swalloed . . . keeps worms out of the system, I was told by oldtimers. Later I went to Key and Cope LC straight. They all got too spendy and I tried ALL the cheaper ones. Settled on Longhorn LC straight. Still at the one can a week rate, unless I'm having a real stressful week, then it jumps to 2 cans +/-. I have tried to quit numerous times but it hasn't taken yet. I keep telling myself to knock it off, but haven't worked up to it . . . yet. I will quit someday . . . hopefully before it's too late. I am a real bear when I do stop.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I quit after 36 years of Copenhagen. Chew coffee beans.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by rockchucker
Kodiak is a woman's dip.

Copenhagen is #1 on man scale

There fixed it for you....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I started chewing when I was a diver. No smoking when on a hardhat station. Chewed Bull-Of-The-Woods indoors and Brown's mule outside. Bull-Of-The-Woods was so mild you never had to spit. When I quit diving I quit chewing. There was dot much dipping going on back then so I never got into it. Glad I didn't, I know it is really hard to quit that stuff.

I quit a four and a half pack a day cigarette habit in '78 when I met my wife. I got a LOT more kisses and I still feel the trade off was worth it. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Until 5 years ago, I chewed a plug of Brown & Williamson "Sun Cured" a day. I would also chew plugs of Reynold's "Natural Leaf" and twists of "Mammoth Cave", depending on the mood.

Gave up the chew and now smoke a pipe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by rem_7
Quit yesterday after 24 years. Today was [bleep], but I'm done.

Quitter wink

Eagle Lake, Mississippi is close to heaven.

"Everything Hipsters touch turns to chit........Period..
Whisky.....Beer.....Tobacco.....Boots....Clothing....Gear......you name it..
Good thing the fuggers don't like firearms.." Fieldgrade

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't chew but I utilize the cope cans. Handy for putting mousies in for ice fishing.

I know one drugstore cowboy that does not chew but he puts a can in his left hip wrangler jean pocket to get the can ring. Makes him feel like one of the boys. grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

328 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 44 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,551
Posts18,510,345
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.