Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It had been named better! I mean, 10mm sounds like "Just a teensy bit bigger than the puny, ineffective 9mm" to most, I think.

How about

400 Automag!

400 Magnum Express!

411 Leviathon!

40 Super!

A little bit of marketing in the cartridge nomenclature and I think that many more of us would have and be shooting 10mm auto pistols. I sure like mine, but it is often a pain in the buttinsky to get ammo or loading supplies. And when non shooters ask me what I carry (IF they learn that I carry - which is damned few) and I reply 10mm I get a blank stare. I would much prefer to reply with "400 Automag" or something similar and such a name would more properly relate what kind of cartridge this is and what it is capable of. Possibly the single most effecticve semi auto pistol cartridge that can be housed in a normal sized and weight pistol. 50AE and the Desert Eagle guns are all anomolies and big honkin freakazoids in my view. But a Glock 20SF or a 1911 in 10mm? THERE one has a packable, portable useful firearm that can do double duty on big game or engage and assailant at 100 yards or more with a reasonable chance of scoring deadly hits.

What do you all think? Would a better, more knarly sounding name have helped out my favorite autopistol cartridge?

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I think I just might have my barrel or slide re stamped "400 Automag Super" and order some brass so stamped..... smile

I DID have Jack Huntington re time and set mine up for my sorta hot loads, kind of like he does for a 1911 in 45 Super or 460 Rowland, so why not?

Last edited by safariman; 04/13/13.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think you're wishin' and wantin' something sorta silly. Either someone knows about the 10mm, or they don't, they're either well-informed, or dullards.

Why confuse the issue? Let 'em be ignorant if they choose, and a lot of them do. Their loss, like the .41 Mag, or the .38/40, most have no inkling of what good cartridges they're missing.

The 10mm had it's chance, the late '80s were a heady time for new pistols. There were a LOT of 10mms, Colt, S&W, AMT, EAA Witness, Glock, etc., all good guns, and just a few of the many. My Delta Elite was a damned fine pistol, and if not for financial embarassment, I'd still have it and still be shooting it, but the .45s I have will do the same job without much drama, although they sure don't shoot as flat or as fast.

Sometimes the best ones slip away, it's a fact.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yeah, they shoulda named it the 41 Action Express, everybody would have rushed out and bought one.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I do have my tongue planted firmly in cheek here, although I think the idea has some merit. The 40 Smith and Wesson is not carrying a barn burner name and seems to be doing allright... <G>

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a cartridge that was never adopted by the military, it's done pretty well. Certainly hung on better than the .41 Action express, .41 Special, or .45 GAP smile And its little brother the .40 S&W is doing well, in the service pistol niche. The full length 10mm I think has well found its niche, in a variety of large frame autoloaders, everything from Glocks, to 1911's, to Revos.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It IS making something of a comeback lately, for sure. Was on the border of obsolence for a decade or so.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For one thing Mark, the 10mm ain't that great. There were already existent rounds and once people started really putting the horsepower behind 45 autos, that was easily seen.

The "10mm" is actually the 10mm Norma Magnum, IIRC. The 9mm could be several cartridges, since several are 9mm. Most folks call it the 9mm Parabellum or 9x19 when they want to be formal. I don't think the moniker "10mm" had much to do with the 10's demise. The 40 S&W going over so very well in Law Enforcement and the 10mm's failure to completely win over the FBI was more the beginning and end of it.

How much is a Delta Elite Stainless, NIB, worth right now? Sorry for the hijack but you go to a lot of gunshows.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
...the 10mm's failure to completely win over the FBI was more the beginning and end of it.

That was my first thought. The members of the general public all seem to know that the FBI ditched the 10mm. They don't know or care what the reason was, or if it was a valid reason. They don't know anything about the 10mm itself. They just know that it "failed" with the FBI, and a well-funded agency like that must be on top of things. So, the 10mm is "bad."

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I like the 400 Automag name. But in the PC LEO world that might have been frowned upon. A problem with the FBI, might have to many skirts in the ranks complaining about the size and recoil of the smith and Wesson.

I can hear it now. Officer what do you carry on duty? My duty weapon. Dah. What is that? Oh,the one usually carried on duty........it is a 400 AutoMag. That sounds powerful, enough to dismember my clients dead honor student. Yadda yadda yadda.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The biggest failure of the 10mm in the beginning was the Bren Ten pistol, high priced piece of junk and when the FBI turned it down that just about nailed the lid closed on the coffin for it. It is a great round,but just not in the same class as the revolver in 41 magnum or 44. Now that i offered my opinion , i love the 10mm and will use mine for hunting every chance i get.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"recoil sensitive" FBI agents doomed the 10mm

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I feel the need for a 10mm, I reach for a M-57 S&W which is chambered in a 10mm cartridge that matters.

MM

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well this day and of the dipshit general buying public anythig with magnum and short in the name just might sell like free money even if it did nothing more than something than had been around 50-100 years wink

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I believe the 10 to be the perfect semiauto cartridge. If you want a magnum auto. I have owned 10s since the bren ten. I was lucky enough to get one with a magazine so was able to use it. I was stupid and sold it when the Deltas came out and have had several of them. I currently have an EAA Witness in 10 and love it. It fits my hand like a glove and I have not had any of the feeding issues that others have complained about. Around 1980 I had several 45s and ordered a 451 detonics barrel and installed it in one of my gold cups. It required cutting 308 cases down but it was a hoot to shoot also. But as with everything that I have had that was cool, someone always wanted it more that I did at the time and I sold it for a ridulous amount of money at the time.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
For one thing Mark, the 10mm ain't that great. There were already existent rounds and once people started really putting the horsepower behind 45 autos, that was easily seen.

The "10mm" is actually the 10mm Norma Magnum, IIRC. The 9mm could be several cartridges, since several are 9mm. Most folks call it the 9mm Parabellum or 9x19 when they want to be formal. I don't think the moniker "10mm" had much to do with the 10's demise. The 40 S&W going over so very well in Law Enforcement and the 10mm's failure to completely win over the FBI was more the beginning and end of it.

How much is a Delta Elite Stainless, NIB, worth right now? Sorry for the hijack but you go to a lot of gunshows.

I would love a 10 but the 45 super route looks pretty good and the way I am going to go now.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by safariman
It had been named better! I mean, 10mm sounds like "Just a teensy bit bigger than the puny, ineffective 9mm" to most, I think.

How about

400 Automag!

400 Magnum Express!

411 Leviathon!

40 Super!

A little bit of marketing in the cartridge nomenclature and I think that many more of us would have and be shooting 10mm auto pistols. I sure like mine, but it is often a pain in the buttinsky to get ammo or loading supplies. And when non shooters ask me what I carry (IF they learn that I carry - which is damned few) and I reply 10mm I get a blank stare. I would much prefer to reply with "400 Automag" or something similar and such a name would more properly relate what kind of cartridge this is and what it is capable of. Possibly the single most effecticve semi auto pistol cartridge that can be housed in a normal sized and weight pistol. 50AE and the Desert Eagle guns are all anomolies and big honkin freakazoids in my view. But a Glock 20SF or a 1911 in 10mm? THERE one has a packable, portable useful firearm that can do double duty on big game or engage and assailant at 100 yards or more with a reasonable chance of scoring deadly hits.

What do you all think? Would a better, more knarly sounding name have helped out my favorite autopistol cartridge?

I think the 10mm would have sold just fine if the pistol that was designed for it would have been produced and sent to market as promised. The failure of the Bren Ten hurt the 10mm. By the time that Colt entered the market with their 10mm 1911 the 10mm was no longer lustrous and sells were not brisk.

IMHO the 10mm is not superior to the 45 Super. I prefer the larger bore in a side arm

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by safariman
It
Was on the border of obsolence for a decade or so.

Still is

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I would love a 10 but the 45 super route looks pretty good and the way I am going to go now.

If you have a 45 Super you've covered the 10. I love my 45 Super.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by jimmyp

If you have a 45 Super you've covered the 10. I love my 45 Super.

I'd rather have a Glock 20, and I do. It ain't going anywhere.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1lesfox, 1234, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,714
Posts18,514,101
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.